Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Only on boards do I hear people whinging about it . Everyone I know is thrilled to see it arrive and looking forward to a better summer by May or June

You think this is bad? Twitter is gaga

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

mike8634 wrote: »
    Really hate those statements

There’s a few on the forums that hate that statement alright, some people would hate to see normality return for a variety of different agendas. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

"We might return to normality" is more fitting, we all know many hurdles will be ahead

If a mutation appears that evades the vaccines and they have retool them, manufacturer, distribute, vaccinate the vulnerable, its months of lockdown again

We all know we are going to wake up to that news of a rogue strain in the near future

Its as predictable as the sun will rise tomorrow

Which is why this year should be part of a global campaign to eradicate it around the world to halt c19, plus protection of European borders once we have this one under control. Behind all this is the general human impact on habitats and the need for better management of biodiversity to reduce human invasion and cross-species infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

"We might return to normality" is more fitting, we all know many hurdles will be ahead

If a mutation appears that evades the vaccines and they have retool them, manufacturer, distribute, vaccinate the vulnerable, its months of lockdown again

We all know we are going to wake up to that news of a rogue strain in the near future

Its as predictable as the sun will rise tomorrow

Could you please provide a source that states this "rogue strain" is as inevitable as you're making it out to be. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭mike8634

Micky 32 wrote: »
    There’s a few on the forums that hate that statement alright, some people would hate to see normality return for a variety of different agendas. :pac:

I have a normal life when lockdowns are lifted

Been at many restaurants this month, go gym 6 days a week, stayed in hotel this month, went for a haircut

Nothing wrong with people being realist

We are odds on to find a mutation that evades a vaccine this year, all I am saying, no agenda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Are they planning on doing any education campaign or whatever for vaccines?

I can just see people whipping off their face masks as soon as the needle goes in... But they aren't sure if vaccines will stop transmission so aren't face masks here to stay?

Face masks are the first thing that needs to go for life to return to some semblance of normality.

We are odds on to find a mutation that evades a vaccine this year, all I am saying, no agenda

How are we odds on? Are there numerous experts saying this? Peer reviewed studies? Anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Paddy Power doing mutation odds now is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Face masks are the first thing that needs to go for life to return to some semblance of normality.

Do you realise it takes time to vaccinate everyone? You might have the vaccine but someone else is still waiting for theirs and you might pass on covid to them?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I think they will be one of the last to go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Choosehowevr.

Are they planning on doing any education campaign or whatever for vaccines?

I can just see people whipping off their face masks as soon as the needle goes in... But they aren't sure if vaccines will stop transmission so aren't face masks here to stay?

No publicity or anything yet to get the numbers up

They need to get some celebrity endorsements, Holohan will have antivaxxers zoning out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Been at many restaurants this month, go gym 6 days a week, stayed in hotel this month, went for a haircut

How about a mutation that is very transmissible but much less deadly? Just as likely as your scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Do you travel? Have family abroad? I’m guessing you don’t seeing that you liked a post that suggested we should stayed locked away from the rest of the world just incase it happens again once under control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

I've just heard of people I know supposed to be isolating, having relatives around, despite saying they'd tell them not to come. The stupidity is ongoing. I hate this lockdown crap but I follow the rules and I really hate when people put up the middle finger to them.

How about a mutation that is very transmissible but much less deadly? Just as likely as your scenario.

Yes it is

That would be excellent and hopefully happens soon

I'm derailing thread now, apologies

Do you realise it takes time to vaccinate everyone? You might have the vaccine but someone else is still waiting for theirs and you might pass on covid to them?

Yeah about 3 years at the rates being mentioned here. Vaccine doesn’t prevent you getting or spreading covid it just lessens the symptoms.

Again u have to have covid to pass it on.

Most people who have it don’t even know they have it until tested.

Vaccinate the vulnerable and frontline workers.

Then carry on with life.

The vaccine is not the magic potion. Life must go on and soon at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

It's been said multiple times that the mRNA vaccines can deal with any foreseeable mutation in this virus. They have thousands of different combinations of ways to attack the virus spike and so far the number of known mutations of the virus is minimal.

El Sueño wrote: »
    How are we odds on? Are there numerous experts saying this? Peer reviewed studies? Anything?

As you know labs all around the world are testing that right now, Porton Down in UK for example will probably be the first to announce if current mutations effect efficacy

Its not even 1st Jan and already we are worried about all these strains

Its pretty obvious something is going to evade it well, you don't need to be Nostradamus to predict that

As you know labs all around the world are testing that right now, Porton Down in UK for example will probably be the first to announce if current mutations effect efficacy

Its pretty obvious something is going to evade it well, you don't need to be Nostradamus to predict that

Theres already been something like 4000 mutations iirc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Yeah about 3 years at the rates being mentioned here. Vaccine doesn’t prevent you getting or spreading covid it just lessens the symptoms.

Again u have to have covid to pass it on.

Most people who have it don’t even know they have it until tested.

Vaccinate the vulnerable and frontline workers.

Then carry on with life.

The vaccine is not the magic potion. Life must go on and soon at that.

So you realise that vaccine doesn't prevent you getting covid or from spreading it?

And you want face masks to be gotten rid off?

• Advertisement

In few years possibly. This year? Highly unlikely.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    It's been said multiple times that the mRNA vaccines can deal with any foreseeable mutation in this virus. They have thousands of different combinations of ways to attack the virus spike and so far the number of known mutations of the virus is minimal.

We all know that

6 weeks to retool, few more weeks to manufacture and distribute is the timeframe I have seen

Lab to 1st injection could be 3 months?

What to do for those 3 months

Lockdown?

So you realise that vaccine doesn't prevent you getting covid or from spreading it?

And you want face masks to be gotten rid off?

Yes with immediate effect. They’ve done nothing to prevent the spread since their introduction.

More likely they contribute than prevent spread.

This is the second panic shutdown since mask introduction

Hardyn wrote: »
    In few years possibly. This year? Highly unlikely.

Your hopefully right

If I had to put money on it, i'd say this year

That couple that invented Pfizer vaccine said vaccine is probably good for a year or 2 until it needs to be re-jigged

With those words they expect resistance to the vaccine to build up

Note to Stephen, Brian and Paul - just because you are near the fridge with the vaccine, doesn't mean you don't need to socially distance!

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1342827382609244162?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Ireland is to begin vaccinating on 30th December. France, Spain and Germany are starting tomorrow 27th December. Hungary started today 26th December.

Ireland will be probably the last Western country to begin vaccination.

Could this possibly be because HSE staff are on their hols and are refusing to come back? Public sector unions are too strong, the workers too lazy and our Government too weak at the knees in dealing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Ireland is to begin vaccinating on 30th December. France, Spain and Germany are starting tomorrow 27th December. Hungary started today 26th December.

Could this possibly be because HSE staff are on their hols and are refusing to come back? Public sector unions are too strong, the workers too lazy and our Government too weak at the knees in dealing with them.
    Unions Insisting they must get their proper annual leave

So you don't have a source then?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,253 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They cry out looking for contact tracers but you must have medical quals so that's a whole load of people on pup who'd love to do that written off. Ffs. So much inefficiency and learned helplessness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Gael23 wrote: »
    Unions Insisting they must get their proper annual leave

During a pandemic? And what makes these Irish workers different to their equivalents in France, Germany or Spain. I'll answer that one - a massive sense of entitlement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement