Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

AdamD wrote: »
    This is all complete whataboutery, same with the 'now include second doses' comments.

You can happily say we have handled the pandemic better than Britain and still say they are miles ahead of terms of vaccinations. Yes we all know the supply is the issue, but this doesn't change the fact they are miles ahead in vaccinations.

Its not even a slight on Ireland, its pretty much been out of our control..

In general though it’s the uk that’s the outlier, not the eu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Lundstram wrote: »
    Go buy our own. There's no one stopping us despite what the EU says. Do a deal with the UK. Maybe the US? There's only 5 million on this island.

We are haemorrhaging money at the moment so what's another few billion.

The level of this type of discourse is astounding. The UK does not make vaccines and won't be hoarding excess supply to sell on to third countries as a favour.

When the UK are done all that will happen is that the supply that was going to them will free up, it will be up to AZ/Pfizer etc. who they wish to then do business with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Vaccines about 20% less effective against new variants says Scott Gottlieb, but you still get very good protection. We'll probably see a consensus strain agreed with boosters in the Autumn. The new strains in the virus will slow down and we'll be able to keep up with it.

https://twitter.com/FaceTheNation/status/1358451396165697547

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

hmmm wrote: »
    Vaccines about 20% less effective against new variants says Scott Gottlieb, but you still get very good protection. We'll probably see a consensus strain agreed with boosters in the Autumn. The new strains in the virus will slow down and we'll be able to keep up with it.

Thats pretty incredible efficacy against such aggressive variants

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

AdamD wrote: »
    This is all complete whataboutery, same with the 'now include second doses' comments.

You can happily say we have handled the pandemic better than Britain and still say they are miles ahead of terms of vaccinations. Yes we all know the supply is the issue, but this doesn't change the fact they are miles ahead in vaccinations.

Its not even a slight on Ireland, its pretty much been out of our control..

It's also fine to say that how they approached vaccination has been risky and not supported by the trial data, or the manufacturers recommendations.

They'll probably end up being about 3-4 weeks ahead of the EU by the time this all ends (and they may actually end up behind on the vulnerable due to the 12 week wait on AZ vs. 3/4 week wait on mRNA), and then the question will be if the risk was worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

This is important, there's a lot of hysteria out there about the big bad variants. Nobody is talking about the fact that the vaccines will still have a major effect on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

El Sueño wrote: »
    This is important, there's a lot of hysteria out there about the big bad variants. Nobody is talking about the fact that the vaccines will still have a major effect on them.

And the fact it’s inlikely to mutate much further.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 55 ✭✭braychelsea

Micky 32 wrote: »

Ye I think the news are really trying to push the negative mutation angle to get more clicks. The reason why we have seen the UK and South African strains emerge is because of the massive number of cases worldwide in November and December. The number of cases worldwide has decreased from 740,000 people per day in December to 450,000 today. Even just looking at South Africa, the number of cases are decreasing rapidly despite the "contagious strain".

McConkey spouting nonsense on Virgin Media news regarding vaccines saying we're not going to see any change for a year or so without a zero COVID approach. Gawk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

McConkey spouting nonsense on Virgin Media news regarding vaccines saying we're not going to see any change for a year or so without a zero COVID approach. Gawk.

Jesus Christ.......wtf are they playing at bringing him on with his doom and gloom.....record never changes......

• Advertisement

Azatadine wrote: »
    Jesus Christ.......wtf are they playing at bringing him on with his doom and gloom.....record never changes......

It’s exhausting isn’t it? I’m quite sure when most of us are jabbed by the autumn things will hugely change.

I don't think we are going to be reopening once the highly vulnerable have been vaccinated, it will need much more widespread vaccinations first. If we let the virus spread unrestricted through the "non-vulnerable", it is still more than capable of causing widespread hospitalisations and deaths.

However once everyone who wants a vaccine has got one (late Summer I'm hoping for) and the vaccines prevent against most hospitalisations and deaths, I can't see governments not lifting most restrictions. An argument that we need to eliminate it because there might be mutants in the future just won't cut it - we know there will be a flu pandemic at some time in the future, but we live with the risk.

The economic impact of keeping lockdowns "just in case" will be too much, and we won't want to be too far behind other countries when they drop restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

It’s exhausting isn’t it? I’m quite sure when most of us are jabbed by the autumn things will hugely change.

He is truly unbelievable. Initially, he said there would likely never be a vaccine. Then it changed to vaccines nay not work very well, now it's variants will get ahead of vaccines.....he's a spent force and I dont know why they keep giving him air....

I don't think we are going to be reopening once the highly vulnerable have been vaccinated, it will need much more widespread vaccinations first. If we let the virus spread unrestricted through the "non-vulnerable", it is still more than capable of causing widespread hospitalisations and deaths.

However once everyone who wants a vaccine has got one (late Summer I'm hoping for) and the vaccines prevent against most hospitalisations and deaths, I can't see governments not lifting most restrictions. An argument that we need to eliminate it because there might be mutants in the future just won't cut it - we know there will be a flu pandemic at some time in the future, but we live with the risk.

The economic impact of keeping lockdowns "just in case" will be too much, and we won't want to be too far behind other countries when they drop restrictions.

Exactly spot on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

Who's saying this?

Hmob wrote: »
    Who's saying this?

I have read numberous times about this particular virus. It can’t mutate too much or it could lose functionality. It’s also mentioned in the tweet above in the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

What are the stats on that though, the numbers of deaths in Jan was still massively skewed towards those over 70s, many weren't even making to a hospital

Things bounced along at low numbers the whole of last summer without much reason as to why as this is sooo infectious ,other than the normal seasonal drop of in colds flu etc you normally see

I have read numberous times about this particular virus. It can’t mutate too much or it could lose functionality. It’s also mentioned in the tweet above in the video.

No one can say that, if it mutates and loses functionality then it will fail to exist

No one can say that, if it mutates and loses functionality then it will fail to exist

Jesus christ :rolleyes:

What are the stats on that though, the numbers of deaths in Jan was still massively skewed towards those over 70s, many weren't even making to a hospital

Things bounced along at low numbers the whole of last summer without much reason as to why as this is sooo infectious ,other than the normal seasonal drop of in colds flu etc you normally see

Er we have vaccines to play with this summer. Last year we didn’t. Are you capable of seeing the difference??

• Advertisement

Er we have vaccines to play with this summer. Last year we didn’t. Are you capable of seeing the difference??

Did you read it, they reckoned we wouldn't remove restrictions unless most were Vascones, not just the vulnerable

Last summer was good with minimal restrictions so why would this be any different

Jesus christ :rolleyes:

I don't think he'll get a vaccine only in his 30s

Gottlieb (again) thinks it is possible that "supply will exceed demand" of the vaccine in the US by April, others not so sure.

Interesting thread, worth reading the whole thing if you're interested in production estimates. Ultimately this should impact on us because the same production ramp-up processes will be used in plants in Europe, and a surplus for the US should free up more vaccines for us also.

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1358252780624953344

NHS planning for annual Covid vaccines (if needed):
    https://www.ft.com/content/26b256d0-d021-46ac-ae3d-e3ea823c033d

Hope to combine it with the Flu vaccine & offer it to those who want it (primarily over-50s). First booster could come as soon as this Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Discussed this morning further up. Conclusion was, not a big deal, no hospitalisations or deaths.

wadacrack wrote: »

Less than 2000 participants and a confidence interval ranging from -50 to 60. I don't see how you can get anything conclusive from that.

• Advertisement

That study is just like the Novavax conclusion, almost entirely worthless. Tiny number of samples, an unfair sample distribution and humongous confidence interval.
    Garbage research if there ever was any.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement