Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 tesla1989

DaSilva wrote: »
    It's not so straightforward to compare as they all described their trials differently, here is an attempt to show them all side by side, hopefully no major mistakes

Sources:

That read likes Pfizer/Biontech one had no over 65's?

None of them tested in over 70's for any vaccine except AZ?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

tesla1989 wrote: »
    That read likes Pfizer/Biontech one had no over 65's?

None of them tested in over 70's for any vaccine except AZ?

This symbol ≥ means greater than or equal, so the Pfizer/BioNTech had 42% of people over the age of 55, it doesnt break down how many were over 70 but there were some over 70, the total age range for Pfizer was 16–91

Similar for Moderna, 25% of people were ≥ 65, or older than 65, age range of 18–95

It would be fantastic if they all provided their raw data so these details could be known

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Two friends of mine got their 2nd Pfizer dose on Saturday night, both fairly floored yesterday with tiredness & aches & pains.

Woke up this morning and not a bother, like yesterday never happened.

Anecdotally have heard a few others similar so the 2nd dose does appear to really get your immune system to work. I know of 1 fairly large multinational that plans to give staff the day off after 2nd doses.

Colleagues and relations who got the second dose all reported the same, flu symptoms, aches, pains and shivering but only for a day. I got the second dose but no reaction but I reckon I had the virus back in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

DaSilva wrote: »
    It's not so straightforward to compare as they all described their trials differently, here is an attempt to show them all side by side, hopefully no major mistakes
    0heCrQJ.png

Sources:
    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2035389
    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2034577
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32661-1/fulltext

Thanks so much for posting this.
    It looks like Pfizer only tested those with obesity as an underlying condition? Is that the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

It looks like Pfizer only tested those with obesity as an underlying condition? Is that the case?

I don't know for sure, the paper mentions the presence of people with obesity but nothing about respiratory or cardiac disease conditions, but that doesn't necessarily mean they weren't there 🤷*♀️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Colleagues and relations who got the second dose all reported the same, flu symptoms, aches, pains and shivering but only for a day. I got the second dose but no reaction but I reckon I had the virus back in April.

A friend got her second dose last week and similar experience, her and her colleagues were absolutely floored with tiredness post-shot, but absolutely fine the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭brickster69

At least we know where the German press and Macron were saying AZ is not effective in older people.

Nothing mentioned about older people with serious health problems effectiveness, because they were not part of the trials. Or at least no data to back it up if there was.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Are we due updated vaccine numbers today as part of the briefing?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Van.Bosch wrote: »

No, think it's THursdays

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Stheno wrote: »
    No, think it's THursdays

Thought it was twice weekly for some reason.

Found it now - Donnelly tweeted an update last Monday up to 31st Jan. hopefully the same today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Two friends of mine got their 2nd Pfizer dose on Saturday night, both fairly floored yesterday with tiredness & aches & pains.

Anecdotally have heard a few others similar so the 2nd dose does appear to really get your immune system to work. I know of 1 fairly large multinational that plans to give staff the day off after 2nd doses.

Few of my girlfriend's hospital colleagues had similar. She on the other hand had a load of beers that night, did a 10k with me the following day and then a 24 hour shift the day after that. So seems to be a very variable impact!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

There's a thread now for people who got the vaccine, sharing their experiences after it. A lot of similar symptoms for the 2nd dose. Taking paracetamol helps a lot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

There's a thread now for people who got the vaccine, sharing their experiences after it. A lot of similar symptoms for the 2nd dose. Taking paracetamol helps a lot too.

So no difference to any other vaccine then?

Anyone with children will confirm that the nurses administering the vaccines will tell you your child will probably get a small temperature that night or be irritable.

I've two young kids and they always needed calpol after a vaccine. It's really not a big issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Drexel_3

So no difference to any other vaccine then?

Anyone with children will confirm that the nurses administering the vaccines will tell you your child will probably get a small temperature that night or be irritable.

I've two young kids and they always needed calpol after a vaccine. It's really not a big issue.

From what I remember reading the issues people are experiencing after the second dose is expected and wanted. That it shows the antibodies are being created.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Van.Bosch wrote: »

Up to last Friday, 230,766 doses of vaccine were administered. This accounts for 151,212 first doses and 79,554 second doses. #COVID19 #COVIDVaccine

From SD on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I’m guessing when you see statements like this from De Gascun quarantine, finger wagging and fines for travellers is going to be a permanent fixture for many years to come even if we’re all vaccinated. Not great news for people like myself that have familes in other countries.

De Gascun:

“Dr Cillian De Gascun, Director of the National Virus Reference Laboratory, said they were concerned about the variant originating in South Africa.

He said we still need to try and prevent the introduction of that variant into the country. There are 11 cases of the so-called South African variant here - all travel-related and not from community transmission - and none of the variant that first originated in Brazil.

The variant first reported in England continues to dominate among new infections reported here.

"Variants will continue to emerge. We're focused on three, but it's likely there will be more in the coming months and years," Dr De Gascun told the media briefing.

He said we need to reduce the chance for the virus to replicate and reproduce, because that is when mutations occur.“”

No way will they ever allow travel again because of the risk of this f******g obsession with mutants.

I may have to consider emigration if this doesn’t change.

Sorry for the rant… losing interest in the vaccines very quickly …

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I’m guessing when you see statements like this from De Gascun quarantine, finger wagging and fines for travellers is going to be a permanent fixture for many years to come even if we’re all vaccinated. Not great news for people like myself that have familes in other countries.

De Gascun:

“Dr Cillian De Gascun, Director of the National Virus Reference Laboratory, said they were concerned about the variant originating in South Africa.

He said we still need to try and prevent the introduction of that variant into the country. There are 11 cases of the so-called South African variant here - all travel-related and not from community transmission - and none of the variant that first originated in Brazil.

The variant first reported in England continues to dominate among new infections reported here.

"Variants will continue to emerge. We're focused on three, but it's likely there will be more in the coming months and years," Dr De Gascun told the media briefing.

He said we need to reduce the chance for the virus to replicate and reproduce, because that is when mutations occur.“”

No way will they ever allow travel again because of the risk of these f******g obsession with mutants.
    You have to remember the context - Feb 2021, the continuing freakout over the variants and who's asking the questions. That all seems a matter of fact answer by a virologist. We have vaccines, the effects of which remain largely unclear so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Don't blame you. I'm getting more and more pessimistic by the day. Just can't see the light at the end of the tunnel at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

De Gascun:

No way will they ever allow travel again because of the risk of this f******g obsession with mutants.

Watched the press conference and that's not what he was suggesting. The context of the question was as to how a virus evolves, he stated covid like other virus evolves and changes in different ways.

He wasn't inferring anything about travel.

"No way will they ever allow travel again"... I get your angry here but that just won't happen we all know it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

De Gascun:

De Gascun isn’t in Government and shouldn’t make these sweeping statements at the press conference. Nphet’s job is to advise and recommend. He should concentrate on getting his own house in order, like what percentage of positive cases are being checked for variants.

• Advertisement

Don't blame you. I'm getting more and more pessimistic by the day. Just can't see the light at the end of the tunnel at the moment
    Some schools reopening this week, discussion ongoing on the rest of them, the government want to reopen construction on 5th March and Level 4 point something has also been mentioned for early March. So, a chink of light!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Does anybody know the actual dates when they'll start vaccinating members of the public, as in thread elderly that aren't in care home m settings?

I know we're all getting anxious, but a date or time frame would be nice.

It's all well and good saying they're planning on vaccination centres but talk is cheap, when will they be up and running??

Does anybody know the actual dates when they'll start vaccinating members of the public, as in thread elderly that aren't in care home m settings?

It's all well and good saying they're planning on vaccination centres but talk is cheap, when will they be up and running??

Next Monday over 85s

From next Monday it'll be the over 80s and they'll work their way down. All first jabs by mid April is the plan for over 70s. They'll be using the AZ concurrently for other younger groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

I'm getting pessimistic about masks and SD, travel and large gatherings

It will be interesting to see what happens on mainland europe and whether they accept continuing restrictions, we won't do anything

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

For the over 85s, is there news of any provision for at home vaccinations for those who are house-bound?

De Gascun isn’t in Government and shouldn’t make these sweeping statements at the press conference. Nphet’s job is to advise and recommend. He should concentrate on getting his own house in order, like what percentage of positive cases are being checked for variants.

Except he didn't make any sweeping comments.

He simply explained how viruses work.

Manach wrote: »
    For the over 85s, is there news of any provision for at home vaccinations for those who are house-bound?

HSE have said if there's no alternative means of getting someone to their GP or a vaccination centre then yes arrangements will be made to visit the home.

I'd say a conversation with the GP will resolve that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes, and they acccept the mRNA vaccines don't like movement. Not sure the actual plan details, GP will be the contact point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement