Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

have you a problem with the data?
    The motivation in sharing the data is suspect!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Sconsey wrote: »
    NEWSFLASH: Icelanders make up to three snowmen a week. Australians and Africans get nowhere near that.

Snow is an act of god.

A vaccine shortage isnt. It's a **** up by our government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Sconsey wrote: »
    No I have a problem with the sperception that we are so slow compared to them...in fairness, when I read what you posted agian, it looks like you are not really having a go at our rate of vaccination. So if you were not complaining then I retract the newsflash.

Well looking at the data we are very slow compared to them. I was posting because I thought it was interesting. Of course comparisons can and maybe should be made between our roll out and theirs. Hopefully if we get more supplies then real comparisons about roll out speed can be made, if we fail then maybe we can complain about that. Unfortunately our lack of ability to get vaccines has hindered our roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

My mother (83) has been given a Tuesday 6th of April appointment with her GP for the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

https://twitter.com/peterdonaghy/status/1359170623495372811/photo/1

Screen-Shot-2021-02-09-at-16-04-21.png
    image upload

Great progress being made north of the border. They seem to be doing in 2.5 days what it takes us to do a week.

They started 3 weeks before us so not really a fair comparison. We seem to be at about the same rate they were at this far in. Also worth noting that more than double the number of people here have received their second dose, so actually vaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

josip wrote:
    My mother (83) has been given a Tuesday 6th of April appointment with her GP for the vaccine.

That is depressingly far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

josip wrote: »

While a date is welcome that's pretty disappointing to hear that its 8 weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Updated stats on the Covid hub now - 236,996 as at the 6th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Updated stats on the Covid hub now - 236,996 as at the 6th.

3 day old data. Dint the health minister say a few weeks ago that they will be releasing daily date for vaccinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

3 day old data. Dint the health minister say a few weeks ago that they will be releasing daily date for vaccinations.

Yes it'll be updated daily but will lag by 2 or 3 days due to data verification, that was according to the last HSE press conference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Yes it'll be updated daily but will lag by 2 or 3 days due to data verification

Not ideal but not a bad situation, you can still see daily progress etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,675 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

8 weeks to get to an 83 year old is just depressing.

I know it is because the vaccines aren't there to give but fooking hell it is depressing anyway.

It is shocking how slow the rollout is (in all europe). We are going to be in lockdown through the summer at these rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Cmon, why are you all shocked? Surely it makes sense to prioritise twenty something year old lab workers over eighty year olds, no?
    /sarcasm

Here is the kicker too, it takes approx 7 weeks after that initial date before the person achieves the full efficacy, so it wont be until early June that the person will be fully protected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

I know it is because the vaccines aren't there to give but fooking hell it is depressing anyway.

It is shocking how slow the rollout is (in all europe). We are going to be in lockdown through the summer at these rates.

At this rate of roll out surely before we get everyone jabbed it will be time to start again?
    Does this mean year round vaccination? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

DaSilva wrote: »
    Cmon, why are you all shocked? Surely it makes sense to prioritise twenty something year old lab workers over eighty year olds, no?
    /sarcasm

Here is the kicker too, it takes approx 7 weeks after that initial date before the person achieves the full efficacy, so it wont be until early June that the person will be fully protected
    You're making yourself look silly by not understanding the basic reason for healthcare worker prioritisation.

Steve F wrote: »
    At this rate of roll out surely before we get everyone jabbed it will be time to start again?
    Does this mean year round vaccination? :confused:
    We will only be at this level of supplies for about the next 2 months and by May we are expected to be receiving over 1m doses a month.

You're making yourself look silly by not understanding the basic reason for healthcare worker prioritisation.

I understand why healthcare workers need to not be sick so they can maintain healthcare services. However until both healthcare workers and the at risk population are vaccinated we must maintain restrictions to prevent an over burden on healthcare and a bunch of people getting sick and dying directly of covid. However, prioritising one while maintaining restrictions reduces indirect deaths of covid (due to lack of care), while prioritising the other reduces direct deaths due to covid. Unless you are one of those people that thinks lockdowns cause more deaths than covid, I think it stands clear that really those directly vulnerable to severe disease / death should be the priority

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Snow is an act of god.

A vaccine shortage isnt. It's a **** up by our government.

Apples & Oranges. We are doing well by EU standards. The reason why we are lagging so far behind the UK is because of the EU's lack of foresight in scaling up manufacturing months ago.
    The national government has been doing quite well at distributing it to the populace.

I understand why healthcare workers need to not be sick so they can maintain healthcare services. However until both healthcare workers and the at risk population are vaccinated we must maintain restrictions to prevent an over burden on healthcare and a bunch of people getting sick and dying directly of covid. However, prioritising one while maintaining restrictions reduces indirect deaths of covid (due to lack of care), while prioritising the other reduces direct deaths due to covid. Unless you are one of those people that thinks lockdowns cause more deaths than covid, I think it stands clear that really those directly vulnerable to severe disease / death should be the priority
    The people most at risk, those in long term care, have been vaccinated. Someone being older =/= automatically being a 'priority'. As such, they are further down the list.

The people most at risk, those in long term care, have been vaccinated. Someone being older =/= automatically being a 'priority'. As such, they are further down the list.

Yeah and after them, the people most at risk are not young lab workers, but elderly people not in care homes and people with other medical complications

• Advertisement

Apples & Oranges. We are doing well by EU standards. The reason why we are lagging so far behind the UK is because of the EU's lack of foresight in scaling up manufacturing months ago.
    The national government has been doing quite well at distributing it to the populace.
    The EU doesn't scale up, companies do and it's complex stuff.

Yeah and after them, the people most at risk are not lab workers, but elderly people not in care homes and people with other medical complications
    Ah cop on, you know very well why front-line healthcare workers are group 1. The 'lab workers' you keep referring to are group 4, not group 1, 2 or 3.

Ah cop on, you know very well why front-line healthcare workers are group 1. The 'lab workers' you keep referring to are group 4, not group 1, 2 or 3.

Not true, non frontline staff who have to handle samples and such are also in group 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

In fairness to the poster here, an actual healthcare worker I know has complained a bit about people they know for a fact who have no patient contact, in a non at risk category and in an environment with very minimal risk of transmission getting the vaccine. So its not just on the outside

Not true, non frontline staff who have to handle samples and such are also in group 1
    So, per gov.ie, they are "At very high or high risk of exposure and/or transmission".
    You've answered your own question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

So, per gov.ie, they are "At very high or high risk of exposure and/or transmission".

Yeah but the issue is that there is people being pushed into that category who really arent at high risk of exposure or transmission.

Yeah but the issue is that there is people being pushed into that category who really arent at high risk of exposure or transmission.
    Poster complained about lab workers.

I am not saying I don't know what the government plan is, I am saying I disagree with it. And even then the government isn't even consistent on high risk of exposure as there are plenty of professions who are at high risk of exposure who are lower priority than the vulnerable in society. As I said, I think the order is a bit off and we should be placing more emphasis on trying to reduce the total amount of severe illness and death.

You can calm down, I am not fighting with you, you keep having a go at me when I am just expressing a pretty inoffensive opinion on reordering of vaccine priority

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

In fairness to the poster here, an actual healthcare worker I know has complained a bit about people they know for a fact who have no patient contact, in a non at risk category and in an environment with very minimal risk of transmission getting the vaccine. So its not just on the outside
    hcw.png
    Going by the latest HCW report, it appears Admin/Clerical staff are more at risk of infection than porters/doctors/physiotherapists (those 3, I would imagine are really patient facing also).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

Agreed, at a personal level it's longer than I expected.
    My only hope is that on a national basis, her GP is at the bottom of some list and that most of her cohort are vaccinated sooner.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement