Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Going by the latest HCW report, it appears Admin/Clerical staff are more at risk of infection than porters/doctors/physiotherapists (those 3, I would imagine are really patient facing also).

Can you really draw that conclusion from that graphic? It is showing each groups % of all HCW cases, but ignores the total population of each group.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

DaSilva wrote: »
    However, prioritising one while maintaining restrictions reduces indirect deaths of covid (due to lack of care), while prioritising the other reduces direct deaths due to covid. Unless you are one of those people that thinks lockdowns cause more deaths than covid, I think it stands clear that really those directly vulnerable to severe disease / death should be the priority

How do you think Covid gets into the nursing homes? You don't see how vaccinating staff in care homes may stop it getting into nursing homes?

Vaccinating front-line healthcare staff maintains care levels (necessary to keep people alive), reduces transmission to vulnerable populations (necessary to keep people alive) and protects the group most putting themselves in harm's way to protect others (necessary to keep people alive). You trying to summarise this as some "indirect" benefit would be funny if we weren't talking about something so serious.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Level 42 wrote: »
    not a valid comparison really because the whole eu is a jokeshop compared to the uk and israel
    But so is everyone then? The world is a jokeshop. Using ourworldindata, Ireland is 15th in the world for vaccination (and that's from data from the 5th).

Now the EU as a whole made some very conservative bets on vaccines which haven't panned out as we'd have hoped but constantly comparing to those who took a riskier bet (such as the UK) is ultimately going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Amirani wrote: »
    How do you think Covid gets into the nursing homes? You don't see how vaccinating staff in care homes may stop it getting into nursing homes?

Vaccinating front-line healthcare staff maintains care levels (necessary to keep people alive), reduces transmission to vulnerable populations (necessary to keep people alive) and protects the group most putting themselves in harm's way to protect others (necessary to keep people alive). You trying to summarise this as some "indirect" benefit would be funny if we weren't talking about something so serious.

I am not trying to be funny. I recognize we need to maintain care levels, and I understand we have done this so far with NPIs. I recognize we also need to vaccine the at risk population because they are the ones who mostly suffer serious disease and death. As a result of these observations, I conclude that we will need to maintain heavy NPIs until at least both of those groups are vaccinated for the reasons already mentioned. However I believe prioritising the vulnerable leads to the same duration of NPIs with reduced severe illness and death. There is a reason the government prioritised the over 65s in long-term care over HCWs. I happen to think there is an argument for prioritising over 65s not in long term care over some HCWs also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Snow is an act of god.

A vaccine shortage isnt. It's a **** up by our government.

Governments don't make the vaccine though...

• Advertisement

Can you really draw that conclusion from that graphic? It is showing each groups % of all HCW cases, but ignores the total population of each group.

Yeah you can't, there are about 2 admin staff for every Doctor in the HSE, so based on the chart Doctors are at much bigger risk than admin staff (as you would expect).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭dan786

Registered with HSE for Vaccine this morning and hoping to get an appointment for early next week. It seems like it will be the AstraZeneca vaccine so 12 weeks between first and second dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

dan786 wrote: »
    Registered with HSE for Vaccine this morning and hoping to get an appointment for early next week. It seems like it will be the AstraZeneca vaccine so 12 weeks between first and second dose.

My sister, a midwife, received her first jab today and second jab will be in 12 weeks time. AstraZeneca.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Accidentally heard Sam McConkey on the last word on my way home from work.

Apparently the vaccines won’t be worth a sh1te (doesn’t stop transmission, don’t know how long they last, what about the variants etc....) and we’ll be dealing with this for the next 3-5 years....why oh why does that man get air time??

Even Matt Cooper was exacerbated with him (which begs the question as to why he had him on the show in the first place).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Le Bruise wrote: »

Apparently the vaccines won’t be worth a sh1te (doesn’t stop transmission, don’t know how long they last, what about the variants etc....) and we’ll be dealing with this for the next 3-5 years....why oh why does that man get air time??

Even Matt Cooper was exacerbated with him (which begs the question as to why he had him on the show in the first place).

For dramatic effect! He’s a tool now! Had some respect at the start now he’s only looking for air time

• Advertisement

Cork2021 wrote: »
    For dramatic effect! He’s a tool now! Had some respect at the start now he’s only looking for air time

Same! He seemed to be the voice of reason at the start of all this but started to believe his own hype, so wants it to continue indefinitely.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

I am not saying I don't know what the government plan is, I am saying I disagree with it. And even then the government isn't even consistent on high risk of exposure as there are plenty of professions who are at high risk of exposure who are lower priority than the vulnerable in society. As I said, I think the order is a bit off and we should be placing more emphasis on trying to reduce the total amount of severe illness and death.

You can calm down, I am not fighting with you, you keep having a go at me when I am just expressing a pretty inoffensive opinion on reordering of vaccine priority

I work in a hospital lab in a very large hospital. Very few people working in the labs have been vaccinated in our hospital. Those that have been received left over doses, and people with underlying conditions/other mitigating circumstances were prioritised. It is important that people working in labs do get vaccinated before the general population however. They have to work in quite cramped conditions in close proximity, which can make outbreaks more likely. If the labs are down or work delayed due to staff illness a lot of general hospital functions will suffer, including those related to critical care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Now I'm only a laymen, so I'm open to correction here, but doesn't all the evidence so far from Israel suggest (not confirm) that the vaccines actually reduce transmission?? As for the vaccines not worth a ****e? Is that what >90% efficacy is considered now - ****e?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-africa-idUSKBN2A920Z

Members of South Africa's Ministerial Advisory Committee have said they do still intend to find a use for the AZ vaccine. Ideas being discussed include combining it with other vaccines as a prime or booster dose and rolling out on a stepped basis to assess its impact on hospitalisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Deathofcool

Im struggling to understand some of McConkeys points here. He mentions variants evading vaccines, how long the vaccine protection lasts, preventing transmission, elderly and vulnerable might not respond.

Is the evidence that we have so far that some vaccines provide some level of protection against variants, they provide protection up until the latest data has been recorded, there is evidence from AZ on preventing transmission, which it is plausible to believe that more efficacious vaccines may reduce transmission further, and the MRNA vaccines have shown great responses in the elderly.

With morale currently on the floor he should really be challenged on these points. You can be sure that he is well versed in all the research and data so what is really going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

marno21 wrote: »

Just listened to it.......As much as I may want to call him every name under the sun and say he's an attention seeking b*ll****ter- he's probably correct:mad:

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭brickster69

Hardyn wrote: »
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-africa-idUSKBN2A920Z

Members of South Africa's Ministerial Advisory Committee have said they do still intend to find a use for the AZ vaccine. Ideas being discussed include combining it with other vaccines as a prime or booster dose and rolling out on a stepped basis to assess its impact on hospitalisations.

You just can't help some people. They have a million vaccines that are safe, reduce severe disease, hospitalization and death and they are still debating what to do with it.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Now I'm only a laymen, so I'm open to correction here, but doesn't all the evidence so far from Israel suggest (not confirm) that the vaccines actually reduce transmission?? As for the vaccines not worth a ****e? Is that what >90% efficacy is considered now - ****e?

He said there’d never be a vaccine before there was one (many), so perhaps he’s trying to downplay them to save face?!? It’s bizarre!

Im struggling to understand some of McConkeys points here. He mentions variants evading vaccines, how long the vaccine protection lasts, preventing transmission, elderly and vulnerable might not respond.

Indeed. the science on vaccines refutes all his negative points, yet he spouts them with impunity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

He said there’d never be a vaccine before there was one (many), so perhaps he’s trying to downplay them to save face?!? It’s bizarre!

He just throws doomsday **** at a wall in the hope it sticks. Some of them have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Just listened to it.......As much as I may want to call him every name under the sun and say he's an attention seeking b*ll****ter- he's probably correct:mad:

Cooper: How long will this pandemic go on for?

McConkey: I don't know, Matt.. but I think.. *insert rambling nonsense here*

He has as much as a clue as you or I on when this will end. He is deliberately trying to be controversial, he's been at it since last March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

They all go mad eventually, pundits and experts

You see it all the time with soccer and gaa pundits

They talk so much and say so many different things that they end up backed into a corner and unable to say anything without contradicting themselves

Their best hope is viewers forget their previous stances and they can move onto the new one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I went through the whole pandemic without listening to McConkey once. Not once. Last week he came on the news talking about vaccines and he literally made zero sense. Contradicted himself a few times, was rambling a lot and mumbling answers. A complete and utter bluffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Cork2021 wrote: »

Cooper is only too willing to accommodate his doomsday views. He is the daily mail of radio. McConkey has been consistently debunked but still gets airtime as a mouthpiece for hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

is_that_so wrote: »
    We will only be at this level of supplies for about the next 2 months and by May we are expected to be receiving over 1m doses a month.

Honestly with all the unexpected supply issues we're seeing I'll believe that when I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

VG31 wrote: »
    Honestly with all the unexpected supply issues we're seeing I'll believe that when I see it.

Same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

allaboutt wrote: »
    Here is the CDC VAERS Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System for the reporting of all Vaccine Adverse Affects including Covid 19.

https://vaers.hhs.gov/

From the 1/29/2021 release of VAERS data:
    Found 11,249 cases where Vaccine is COVID19
    https://medalerts.org/vaersdb/findfield.php?TABLE=ON&GROUP1=CAT&EVENTS=ON&VAX=COVID19

From the 1/29/2021 release of VAERS data:
    Found 501 cases where Vaccine is COVID19 and Patient Died
    https://medalerts.org/vaersdb/findfield.php?TABLE=ON&GROUP1=AGE&EVENTS=ON&VAX=COVID19&DIED=Yes

Event Outcome Count
    Death 501
    Permanent Disability 156
    Office Visit 1,446
    Emergency Room 18
    Emergency Doctor/Room 2,425
    Hospitalized 1,066
    Recovered 4,292
    Birth Defect 12
    Life Threatening 383
    Not Serious 4,106
    TOTAL † 14,405

Is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Interesting, sorry if it’s off topic but it should make vaccine roll outs potentially easier. Worldwide cases are literally dropping off a cliff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

How so? Just because he's a professor doesn't make him correct. Plenty have been wrong before, and will continue to be

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement