Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

latency89 wrote: »
    In 80 year olds?

Since when have they proved it prevents severe illness against south african type variants with e484k substitution in nursing home resident age groups? AZ was trialed by a university in South Africa and it had poor results in young people, all other vaccines are not widespread in south africa and have no mass data, just a small group of sub 1000 people to look at

Welcome to boards and the thread. It’s always great to see new sign ups and contributors ;)

The flu vaccine is needed once a year. Coronavirus mutates slower and less frequently than the flu. To suggest a yearly vaccine is likely is completely incorrect virologically.

Exactly, from all the actual experts ( not the boards wannabes) it seems the virus doesn’t have too many options to keep mutating because it could lose it’s functionality. The vaccines will keep on top of it, i have no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    If the SA strain is so transmissible then why have cases plummeted there from 20,000 a day to 2,000 a day?

This isn’t a loaded question, I’m curious. Maybe the local lockdown is having a huge impact but if the variant is so strong I wouldn’t expect such large falls.
    Because the difference in infectivity isn't of the apocalyptic scale that doom merchants want us to think it is.

The difference is a few percentage points at best. It's enough to make one variant more prevalent in ideal infection conditions, but it's not enough to make ordinary measures of hygiene and distancing any less effective.

Despite what Boris Johnson (and other governments) wants to claim, the surge in infections was down to people mixing and governments lifting restrictions, not down to new variants. The third wave would have occurred at the same intensity no matter which variant was in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

All of these "what if" points are contrarian just for the sake of being contrarian. The have either been answered, or are being answered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭latency89

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Exactly, from all the actual experts ( not the boards wannabes) it seems the virus hasn’t much options to keep mutating because it could lose functionality and the vaccines will keep on top of it.

Do you have any peer reviewed paper from those experts that says it doesn't have much options left?

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    infections was down to people mixing and governments lifting restrictions, not down to new variants. The third wave would have occurred at the same intensity no matter which variant was in the mix.

Boris and his team of world class team of virologists, epidemiologists are wrong and Seamus on boards.ie is right?

funnydoggy wrote: »
    The zero COVID thread is that way -->

Serious show me proof to these claims and ill go there, won't post in here again

My parents were talking to their doctor. He said to my father (78) he’ll be getting his vaccine 4-5 weeks. My mother (73) told sometime in April. Both also have underlying conditions (heart).

Not for me to say where you should and shouldn't post, my apologies.

Not for me to say where you should and shouldn't post, my apologies.

I'll go there it's fine, bye

• Advertisement

Boris and his team of world class team of virologists, epidemiologists are wrong and Seamus on boards.ie is right?

Boris and co came on tv and said the UK variant was more deadly and sickly. It has been disproven since.

I'll go there it's fine, bye

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Do you have any peer reviewed paper from those experts that says it doesn't have much options left?

Where are all of your own peer-reviewed studies, out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

:confused:

I think you touched a nerve!:)

I shouldn't have been a backseat mod but I didn't expect that lol

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Authorizes Monoclonal Antibodies for Treatment of COVID-19

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-authorizes-monoclonal-antibodies-treatment-covid-19-0

The world is fighting this motherf*cker from all angles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Link me a study that proves mRNA works against it, not a lab study, our a small group study

A large study, 10000+ people, vulnerable group preferably.You wont find it because it doesn't exist.
    You can't ask for studies you know don't exist. And just because the studies haven't been done yet doesn't mean we automatically assume it doesn't work.

We'd people hopping up and down about Danish minks a few months ago saying all our vaccines would have to be thrown away, and it all turned out to be irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

If you stick around these threads long enough you will see that yes, Boris is a self serving, disingenuous, pathological liar who will say anything that will make him look good/less bad, whereas Seamus objectively calls things as he sees them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭brickster69

Been reports of this for a while now. Yesterday Spain reported 10,000 doses were wasted through lack of syringes and China cannot take new orders until June and the US and Canada are buying them all up over there.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/10/japan-pfizer-vaccine-doses-wrong-syringes

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Deathofcool

Link me a study that proves mRNA works against it, not a lab study, our a small group study

A large study, 10000+ people, vulnerable group preferably.You wont find it because it doesn't exist.

Here is interim data from J&J that a vaccine (yes I know its not MRNA) with less efficacy that MRNA ones for the original strain and wasn't originally designed for the mutation has 100% protection against the south african variant in terms of severe covid and 57% protection in moderate covid even in a population that contained subjects that were immunosuppressed. So at this moment in time we have more evidence in terms of research that vaccines have a positive protective effect on the mutations than the contrary.

https://www.jnj.com/johnson-johnson-announces-single-shot-janssen-covid-19-vaccine-candidate-met-primary-endpoints-in-interim-analysis-of-its-phase-3-ensemble-trial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

What is becoming increasingly depressing is that despite any bit of positive news this thread gets side tracked by people looking for a negative angle using flimsy or no evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭plodder

Been reports of this for a while now. Yesterday Spain reported 10,000 doses were wasted through lack of syringes and China cannot take new orders until June and the US and Canada are buying them all up over there.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/10/japan-pfizer-vaccine-doses-wrong-syringes
    Yes, that was predicted a few weeks ago. Five was the original number of doses, but with those special syringes you could get 6 or even 7. And they knew there would be a shortage of those syringes. So, what was originally a good news story is now yet more doom and gloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Authorizes Monoclonal Antibodies for Treatment of COVID-19

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-authorizes-monoclonal-antibodies-treatment-covid-19-0

The world is fighting this motherf*cker from all angles :D

Well, Italy has authorized the Monoclonal Antibodies a couple of days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

plodder wrote: »
    Yes, that was predicted a few weeks ago. Five was the original number of doses, but with those special syringes you could get 6 or even 7. And they knew there would be a shortage of those syringes. So, what was originally a good news story is now yet more doom and gloom.

It was good news when Pfizer were shipping it as 5 doses and you got bonus doses with those syringes. When Pfizer changed it to they all have 6 doses and you don't have those syringes, that's how we're now losing out.

Shortage of syringes had been reported a month ago already somewhere in Europe, then things went fine for a short while, now we're at it again.
    I wonder why they didn't stock pile syringes along 2020, they had 10-12 months to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭plodder

titan18 wrote: »
    It was good news when Pfizer were shipping it as 5 doses and you got bonus doses with those syringes. When Pfizer changed it to they all have 6 doses and you don't have those syringes, that's how we're now losing out.
    My recollection was that they were being paid per dose and wanted to be paid for the sixth dose, which I think is fair enough. If someone signed a contract accepting they all have six doses but they didn't have the syringes to deliver them then that was a mistake no question.

My recollection was that they were being paid per dose and wanted to be paid for the sixth dose, which I think is fair enough. If someone signed a contract accepting they all have six doses but they didn't have the syringes to deliver them then that was a mistake no question.

This was a mistake from the EU commission, which should have signed to pay for per vial.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭brickster69

I think Canada have to label the bottle and EU and US have done this already

https://globalnews.ca/news/7614571/canada-secures-low-dead-stop-syringes-covid/

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Looks like the vaccination centre in DCU is up and running. Signage all over the place, traffic marshals directing people to the main car park which staff have been told not to park in for the foreseeable. Not sure who they're vaccinating or with which product though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

zuutroy wrote: »
    Looks like the vaccination centre in DCU is up and running. Signage all over the place, traffic marshals directing people to the main car park which staff have been told not to park in for the foreseeable. Not sure who they're vaccinating or with which product though!
    As far as I know its healthcare workers with AZ

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement