Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

mike8634 wrote: »
    As you know labs all around the world are testing that right now, Porton Down in UK for example will probably be the first to announce if current mutations effect efficacy

Its not even 1st Jan and already we are worried about all these strains

Its pretty obvious something is going to evade it well, you don't need to be Nostradamus to predict that

Wishful thinking on your part does not equate to events actually occuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

I would expect up to group 10 to be done by then tbh

If we can get group 14 done before schools go back I would be happy (and if not we should create a new group 13.5 with families who have kids in school / college).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Choosehowevr.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Reading through the Nursing Home vaccination schedule I came across another statistic that prompts me to ask, where is the joined-up thinking in the HSE? In the Gorey area of Co. Wexford, there are three nursing homes, two in Riverchapel and one in Gorey Town approximately 5 miles away, For some reason, the schedule is to vaccinate one in Riverchapel and the one in Gorey on the same day and the other one in Riverchapel 4 days later. You could throw a 4-inch block between the two homes in Riverchapel so I'm waiting, all agog, for the logical explanation for this.

There's no particular reason to go from one to the next by distance

What difference does it make?

What I mean is you're not going to take out a map and draw a line through the nursing homes and do it that way, so proximity doesn't mean they'll be done together

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I would expect up to group 10 to be done by then tbh
    ~1.3m people upto and including Group 10. Would equal roughly 250k vaccinations average per month.

I reckon when we have J&J on board after March we should be able to do more than 250k per month. Pfizer are starting off at 80k/month (160k doses) and they are just one source.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

While it's great to see politicians and others getting their photo taken next to a fridge, and we're being told by various commentators that we need to wrap ourselves in the green flag and not ask questions, did anyone get an answer as to why some EU countries are starting vaccinations tomorrow and we are not?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

hmmm wrote: »
    While it's great to see politicians and others getting their photo taken next to a fridge, and we're being told by various commentators that we need to wrap ourselves in the green flag and not ask questions, did anyone get an answer as to why some EU countries are starting vaccinations tomorrow and we are not?

Nope.

Its being asked of multiple politicians and Hse chief on twitter and being ignored it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

There's no particular reason to go from one to the next by distance

What difference does it make?

What I mean is you're not going to take out a map and draw a line through the nursing homes and do it that way, so proximity doesn't mean they'll be done together

Well one thing we know is that the Pfizer vaccine should be not be moved more often than is necessary and given the numbers in the two homes in Riverchapel, presumably it's not impossible to do both of them in less than 1 day and even throw Gorey into the mix as well.
    I'm curious as to why there are so many cheerleaders and excuse makers for the HSE and Government on this thread. It's patently obvious that the response to the arrival of the vaccine has been lackadaisical but maybe with the years of exposure to this type of attitude, people have become inured.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Well one thing we know is that the Pfizer vaccine should be not be moved more often than is necessary and given the numbers in the two homes in Riverchapel, presumably it's not impossible to do both of them in less than 1 day and even throw Gorey into the mix as well.
    I'm curious as to why there are so many cheerleaders and excuse makers for the HSE and Government on this thread. It's patently obvious that the response to the arrival of the vaccine has been lackadaisical but maybe with the years of exposure to this type of attitude, people have become inured.

Presumably they're just working to a plan

Not sure you can pluck out 3 homes and decide they're doing something wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 21,308 ✭✭✭✭Water John

One suspects the dosing may be linked to the numbers on each site. Remember the pizza box is 195 vials X 5.

• Advertisement

Is there any league tables going for virus dispensing by country then

Fulkk me theyve bamboozled us with enough stats I'd like to see the HSE and government stats and how they're doing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,745 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Fulkk me theyve bamboozled us with enough stats I'd like to see the HSE and government stats and how they're doing

See below, taken from the main thread, probably belongs here too

https://twitter.com/segal_eran/status/1342792733400952834

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

This was posted a while ago by a few people, keeps track of vaccinations around the globe:

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

Bahrain leading with almost 3% of population vaccinated.

Presumably they're just working to a plan

Not sure you can pluck out 3 homes and decide they're doing something wrong

Well let me just say that all three homes are in the Gorey LED which is how the HSE are estimating the case records of Covid. I can't imagine it's a huge leap to say they are using this area as a blueprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

xhomelezz wrote: »

Ah shur we'll have to ate de turkey furst.

El Sueño wrote: »
    See below, taken from the main thread, probably belongs here too

https://twitter.com/segal_eran/status/1342792733400952834

Tweet it to Tony Holohan

Tell him to give daily updates

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Tweet it to Tony Holohan

Tell him to give daily updates

He'll say vaccination is the HSE
    He's the department of Health :D

Ah shur we'll have to ate de turkey furst.

:D

One would expect they'll finally put their shīt together and for once they'll move quickly. I'm pretty sure public would love that, instead of photos of politicians around the fridges. Think most of us was and is adhering to the guidelines and restrictions, even if we disagree with some, still following so I would expect hse to deliver FAST to gain some credit.

I think the HSE have done a great job to date, but this really don't look great. The media might miss this today, but tomorrow and the day after there'll be lots of questions.

It's important that the government makes this a national priority. The buck stops with the Minister, he can't hide behind vaccination task forces and glossy documents with lots of flowcharts. If there's any hint of delays or restrictions slowing down vaccinations he needs to be all over it.

The only thing I can say that may excuse it. It’s better to plan appropriately than blindly vaccinate.

• Advertisement

The only thing I can say that may excuse it. It’s better to plan appropriately than blindly vaccinate.

I believe they had time to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The buck stops with the Minister

We're doomed.

Yep, someone should have told the HSE they were working on a vaccine, hardly fair to spring this on them all of a sudden.

I believe they had time to plan.

Quite, but we are going to be doing 40k per week. The best approach is not necessarily to fire out the the first 10k Willy nilly, but actually integrate that 10k into a wider plan. They could have had a photo opportunity to satisfy some people’s need for instant gratification, however it may not firm part of the best plan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Almost 2 million now vaccinated, with the first dose, in the US. Double what was vaccinated just 3 days ago.

https://twitter.com/TimFullerton/status/1342913764711161862

10% of the "at risk" portion of the UK population are now vaccinated.

https://twitter.com/rfitz77/status/1342919129045606406

I suspect that this crisis will be over, in some countries, a lot sooner than people expect.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

When’s our next delivery of vaccines coming?

If we only have 10k, and these are all being deployed in hospital settings, could it be that we are doing it on the 30/31st and then waiting for the next delivery?

Quite, but we are going to be doing 40k per week. The best approach is not necessarily to fire out the the first 10k Willy billy, but actually integrate that 10k into a wider plan. They could have had a photo opportunity to satisfy some people’s need for instant gratification, however it may not firm part of the best plan

I get it. But whole EU was is on the same page with vaccines, plans ready, starting tomorrow. Looks like we'll be the only ones planning till Wednesday morning..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I get it. But whole EU was is on the same page with vaccines, plans ready, starting tomorrow. Looks like we'll be the only ones planning till Wednesday morning..

Germany, Hungary and Slovakia said did it and started today.

And I know some people might see it as moaning, but administering vaccines is simply a question of how efficient you are at logistics, planning & resources. It's directly comparable between counties, whereas the response to Covid itself is difficult to compare.

If some EU countries are rolling out vaccines tomorrow, they have done a better job. Maybe they've over-stretched themselves and it all falls apart, but that sounds unlikely. It's important we know why we're not on the same schedule, and what resources or work-practice changes we need to close the gap - and push the politicians to deliver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

And I know some people might see it as moaning, but administering vaccines is simply a question of how efficient you are at logistics, planning & resources. It's directly comparable between counties, whereas the response to Covid itself is difficult to compare.

If some EU countries are rolling out vaccines tomorrow, they have done a better job. Maybe they've over-stretched themselves and it all falls apart, but that sounds unlikely. It's important we know why we're not on the same schedule, and what resources or work-practice changes we need to close the gap - and push the politicians to deliver.

It would be very easy for us to vaccinate a few people tomorrow and say we’ve started. This would tell us nothing about how good our planning is. Let’s see how each country does over the next few weeks. The supplies at this stage are quite modest, it would be very poor if we don’t use up our allocation in full every week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement