Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Micky 32 wrote: »
    According to the RTE news app:

“The distribution of an initial 200 million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine developed by Pfizer and BioNTech will be completed for the European Union by next September, a spokesman for the EU Commission said today.”

"Distribution of the full 200 million doses is scheduled to be completed by September 2021," the spokesman told Reuters in an emailed statement.“

Link to this https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1228/1186683-coronavirus-covid19-world/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

“The distribution of an initial 200 million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine developed by Pfizer and BioNTech will be completed for the European Union by next September, a spokesman for the EU Commission said today.”

"Distribution of the full 200 million doses is scheduled to be completed by September 2021," the spokesman told Reuters in an emailed statement.“

And thats only one vaccine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭mike8634

Personally think Oxford vaccine is the end game

Pfizer one wont be in the demand, once that's shipped

So much cheaper, easier to produce, ship and as its a traditional chimp vaccine it will work for everyone with less side effects imo

Its guarantees an immune response for everyone as our bodies have never seen it before, I will be getting that one

Sounds crazy but I feel better getting a traditional vaccine, won't be taking Pfizer one myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

mike8634 wrote: »

So much cheaper, easier to produce, ship and as its a traditional chimp vaccine it will work for everyone with less side effects imo

Its guarantees an immune response for everyone as our bodies have never seen it before, I will be getting that one

Sounds crazy but I feel better getting a traditional vaccine, won't be taking Pfizer one myself
    Interesting point. Will people have a choice. Could thousands of Pfizer vaccines end up in the bin? I suspect people will not be allowed to choose which one they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I get your point but it may nit be up to individuals to choose what one they get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

jackboy wrote: »
    Interesting point. Will people have a choice. Could thousands of Pfizer vaccines end up in the bin? I suspect people will not be allowed to choose which one they get.

No there won't be a choice. It'll be a clinical decision as to which one is best suited for the individual.

The choice will be vaccine or no vaccine.

Should Oxford (or any other vaccine) for example be found to actually stop transmission then that supply may be diverted to the younger population and that group may they be vaccinated as a priority due to the level of social interaction, its mentioned in the roll out document.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Yep, as they say it may well get us over the finishing line.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I really don't think you're going to have a choice and I'd also say we'll be using whatever we get of each vaccine, as they come in, until the point of the entire country (whoever's willing) being vaccinated. Past that I'd imagine there will be an EU programme to donate excess vaccines to poorer countries, but that will be a long time away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Israel now has 4.37% of their population vaccinated with the first dose - up from 3.23% yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

CNN reporting Pfizer delivery across EU has been delayed

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1343553727337275393?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Seems to be resolved now, and was a case of a few hours delay thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Stheno wrote: »
    Seems to be resolved now, and was a case of a few hours delay thankfully

Another possible explanation as to why its been brought forward a day here, Spain are reporting delivery of second doses are expected early hours of 29th December

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Headline is slightly misleading.

I believe it relates to Spain and Germany. Spains delivery was delayed by a day. Germany and Spain both queried the cold chain I believe, Pfizer was yesterday said to be investigating seeing as everything is GPS tracked, looks to have been resolved quite quickly.

“We have rescheduled a limited number of our deliveries. The logistical matter has been resolved and those deliveries are now being dispatched,” Pfizer said in a statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Israel now has 4.37% of their population vaccinated with the first dose - up from 3.23% yesterday.

Ah yeah, but they don't have Christmas. God forbid we should disrupt our annual orgy of consumerism over a little thing like a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Some Novavax news - https://www.ft.com/content/2dffdd47-...9-8f33709c259d

They have completed enrollment for their phase 3 trial in the UK at the end of November. Data from this is due in the first quarter of 2021. They expect this data will be sufficient to apply for approval with UK & European regulators.

They're starting a US & Mexico phase 3 trial today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Pfizer last week said they expected to have 12.5m vaccines supplied to the EU by the end of the year. Does that mean we should have around 135k vaccines doses here by Thursday? There doesn't seem to have been any mention of that outside of Pfizer.

hmmm wrote: »
    Some Novavax news - https://www.ft.com/content/2dffdd47-...9-8f33709c259d

They have completed enrollment for their phase 3 trial in the UK at the end of November. Data from this is due in the first quarter of 2021. They expect this data will be sufficient to apply for approval with UK & European regulators.

They're starting a US & Mexico phase 3 trial today.

They seemed to be having a bit of trouble getting the US trial of the ground. Good to them finally get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Not sure if this should be here or main thread.. but they mention it in relation. maybe it has been posted already?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/25/uk-scientists-trial-drug-to-prevent-coronavirus-infection-leading-to-disease

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That antibody therapy is really good to see. Hopefully will reduce the severity on patients. That would be great and hopefully can be adapted for other viral infections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

It’ll be wiped out by a combination of the two approaches.

All I’d say is thankfully we didn’t get something like this before we had this level of understanding of biotechnology. If this outbreak had happened even in the 1980s or 1990s we would have been facing dire prospects without much prospect of any solutions.

It just so happened that the pandemic coincided with a lot of these technologies being on the cusp of becoming very mainstream.

Likewise, without the level of telecommunications and IT technology we have now, the economies would have completely collapsed. Imagine trying to work from home worth a P&T dial phone, a typewriter and in an era and fax machines were still considered bleeding edge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

And also for those who do not mount an effective response from the vaccine aswell as the prophylatic option or if someone is post vaccine and happens to be infectious. Earlyish days but hopefully promising and more simplistic to use by the sounds of it than antibody plasma?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

cena wrote: »
    My dads nursing home is to get the injection on the 11th of January. I'm not if he should take as he has Alzheimer's and dementia. I fear what could happen to him if he takes it.

What? :confused:

Sounds positive. We had a photo call with a fridge and a cardboard box, and then an argument on the the starting date.

NOV19-Gervais-Laughing.gif

xhomelezz wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/vaccine-red-tape-over-complex-consent-process-delays-roll-out-here-39905739.html

From the article:

Mr Donnelly last night argued such criticism was “unfounded”.

He told the Irish Independent: “We took delivery on the 26th. We’ll be vaccinating on the 29th so the question I would put back is are people suggesting that we don’t follow the expert advice? Are they suggesting we don’t make sure informed consent is correct? We are clinically led. We have to get this right.”

Mr Donnelly said training of staff is taking place and the informed-consent process is being put in place.

He added a lot of work has gone into making sure that the informed consent process is “appropriate” and “legally robust”.

He is good at putting question back at people isn't he..

Think people expected they'll be ready. Yeah ready my arse.

He's an awful, awful pox of a sham of a shambles of a man

And that's me being nice about it

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Good morning everyone, Happy Holidays!! I wish all the best for you and your beloved ones!!
    I am currently in Greece, spending the Christmas/New Year period with my family.

Vaccinations started yesterday afternoon/evening.
    The first person was a healthcare worker/nurse - my understanding is that she works in ICU or with Covid patients, not 100% sure though.
    This morning all channels are reporting extensively on the vaccinations and the optics and PR are very good. The whole vaccination program has been cleverly called "Operation Freedom" and the narrative has changed from reporting deaths and cases all day to the effort to vaccinate people as efficiently and quick as possible. The Greek National Health system wouldn't be very organised (comparisons with the HSE are very fitting), so hopefully things will get better.
    So far we have seen, among others, the Prime Minister, CMO, Minister of Health and 2 leaders of opposition parties taking the vaccine. The President of the country is scheduled for later today

Generally, a real sense of hope that the tide has turned and it is only a matter of time before we can live without lockdowns again :)

Ok

How do we clone you ten times and spread you among the entirety of this Subforum?

Great post

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Will they be releasing the daily figures of those who got vaccinated ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

statesaver wrote: »
    Will they be releasing the daily figures of those who got vaccinated ?

That depends how many they'll vaccinate, if the mighty task force have a hiccup and things won't go well, doubt numbers will be published on daily bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think it's 40,000 doses per week. I presume all to be used each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

You know already that the Oxford/AZ vaccine will be approved by the MHRA in the UK in the forthcoming days, but the BelTel (paywall) is now reporting that it is already being distributed to clinics in Northern Ireland in advance of approval and presumably on the 'mainland' too.
    Interesting they are going with the idea of it being marketed as the 'workhorse' vaccine given its much lower efficacy (though still clearly good) yet easy supply and distribution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

You know already that the Oxford/AZ vaccine will be approved in the forthcoming days, but the BelTel (paywall) is now reporting that it is already being distributed to clinics in advance of approval in Northern Ireland and presumably on the 'mainland' too. Interesting they are going with the idea of it being marketed as the 'workhorse' vaccine given its much lower efficacy (though still clearly good) and its easy supply and distribution.
    The Sunday Times was reporting yesterday that they've figured out the efficacy bit (per their CEO), and were seeing Pfizer/Moderna-like results. We're still to see the data.

There's some speculation in the media that the UK regulator might approve it as a single dose, with a booster being required a few months later. This would massively increase short-term supply.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement