Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I wonder if countries are going to bring this in when they will actually do it? For instance let's say that lots of people over europe are vaccinated by May 21 and the pandemic has been brought under control, (deaths very low, elderly, vulnerable and health care workers vaccinated, hospital admissions down) but I havent been vaccinated as I'm a 20 or 30 something and will be last to get...could I travel before I've been given the chance to get the vaccine?

I’d say a negative PCR test would be the requirement for you until vaccinated, if that ever did come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

This is becoming a f***** real rollercoaster. You read about the great news and you come across this little nugget, it should please the salivating misery crowd though:

“WHO chief scientist Dr Soumya Swaminathan told the briefing that being vaccinated against the virus did not mean public health measures such as social distancing would be able to be stopped in future.”

You know what you can do Dr Soumya with your social distancing, once the majority of the population are vaccinated shove your social distancing right up your ........ :rolleyes: sorry rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Micky 32 wrote: »
    This is becoming a f***** real rollercoaster. You read about the great news and you come across this little nugget, it should please the salivating misery crowd though:

“WHO chief scientist Dr Soumya Swaminathan told the briefing that being vaccinated against the virus did not mean public health measures such as social distancing would be able to be stopped in future.”

You know what you can do Dr Soumya with your social distancing, once the majority of the population are vaccinated shove your social distancing right up your ........ :rolleyes: sorry rant over!

They do actually think that we’ll all keep wearing masks and social distancing.. I find it strange and good for their own health. Dr Mike Ryan doesn’t look the best to be honest, just by looking at his interviews lately. They need to start thinking more positively and hope the next two months of winter don’t go as badly as they think.
    I was thinking myself all the top men/women at WHO should all get the vaccine and their own moods might change to being back to 100% sometime this year!!!
    I’d love to get to the AVIVA, for a game and a good ole session with the missus!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I assume they mean that once we get the vaccine we shouldn't be heading down to the pub sans mask, because if they seriously think people will keep up this nonsense long term they're completely deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭KaneToad

El Sueño wrote: »
    I assume they mean that once we get the vaccine we shouldn't be heading down to the pub sans mask, because if they seriously think people will keep up this nonsense long term they're completely deluded.

Sure, what would they know, eh?

• Advertisement

El Sueño wrote: »

They haven’t changed once since this started only to eventually change their stance on masks! We all know the vaccine isn’t going to sort everything out this side of Easter but after that, people’s patience will wear thin not that it has already. I’m sick to death of wearing masks! I work in retail and I’m wearing them for 45 hours a week at work don’t mind any other times I’d need to! The faster this crappy situation is over the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I'd say every single government on the planet would beg to differ. Ultimately, and thankfully, they will be the ones who will return us to normality once the majority are vaccinated. See the comments of Leo and Micheal Martin lately - normality by Summer 2021~ish.

KaneToad wrote: »

To be fair they said there was no need to stop travel from China at the start of all this and didn’t change for ages! They dropped the ball big time, only time I’ve ever agreed with Trump was the failure to ban travel to and from China when all this kicked off!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

You can't really say that about the WHO considering the complete b*lls they made of this at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

They know a hell of a lot of medicine, granted, but that appears to be their singular remit. However, a more pragmatic, holistic view is held by governments who must consider economics in addition to public health and many other elements. Unless an introvert, social distancing is the antithesis of existence and is a detrimental measure to economies across the planet. Not to mention the fact that there is a growing unease and restlessness amongst populations against this measure. Regardless of the wishes of WHO, I cannot see governments implementing this draconian measure once critical masses have been vaccinated.

• Advertisement

Good news incoming!!! Let’s hope AstraZeneca apply ASAP for EUA to the EMA

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJZnoYkBfxr/?igshid=1fyxq1twvn9m8

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

AstraZeneca are in a rolling review of data with the EMA aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Good news incoming!!! Let’s hope AstraZeneca apply ASAP for EUA to the EMA

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJZnoYkBfxr/?igshid=1fyxq1twvn9m8

Ya many expected approval by today (Tues) ,
    Have we expected date for when it's submitted to the EMA?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭poppers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

The EMA is saying it has insufficient data to approve the AstraZenica vaccine in January.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-eu-astrazeneca-idUKKBN293144

It’s possible the U.K. may just approve it anyway. Nobody’s quite sure.

Matt Hancock is saying that they have submitted a full data package to the British regulator, but I can’t really say that means anything given it’s just a political statement from a spin prone government.

It does look like the EMA is going to be the more conservative regulator in this.

Had a quick google but couldn't find a list of "certain conditions" for which people under 65 will get the vaccination. My mother is getting cancer treatment and I have asthma. 2 very different ends of the spectrum obviously. :pac: Common sense would make me think she'd get the vaccine between treatments but I don't have faith in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Judging by their actions since January, sweet **** all

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

AutoTuning wrote: »
    The EMA is saying it has insufficient data to approve the AstraZenica vaccine in January.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-eu-astrazeneca-idUKKBN293144

Matt Hancock is saying that they have submitted a full data package to the British regulator, but I can’t really say that means anything given it’s just a political statement from a spin prone government.

It does look like the EMA is going to be the more conservative regulator in this.

I think this is all going to get messy. I can see governments putting huge pressure on EMA if the MHRA approves it. Judging from the reports on Pfizer, EMA do a much more thorough job but with cases rising, politicians will be impatient.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Had a quick google but couldn't find a list of "certain conditions" for which people under 65 will get the vaccination. My mother is getting cancer treatment and I have asthma. 2 very different ends of the spectrum obviously. :pac: Common sense would make me think she'd get the vaccine between treatments but I don't have faith in that.
    Chronic heart disease, including hypertension with cardiac involvement; chronic respiratory disease, including asthma requiring continuous or repeated use of systemic steroids or with previous exacerbations requiring hospital admission; Type 1 and 2 diabetes; chronic neurological disease; chronic kidney disease; body mass index >40; immunosuppression due to disease or treatment; chronic liver disease.

nommm wrote: »
    I think this is all going to get messy. I can see governments putting huge pressure on EMA if the MHRA approves it. Judging from the reports on Pfizer, EMA do a much more thorough job but with cases rising, politicians will be impatient.

They can put pressure on externally but it’s a genuinely independent agency and isn’t really beholden to them, so I doubt it will move any faster than it can. Unlike the FDA relationship with Trump, there’s almost zero chance a political leader could threaten the EMA.

If there’s a rushed job done and there’s some kind of glitch there’s a huge risk to public confidence.

Countries like France have polls showing only 41% intend to get vaccinated (vs 71% here and 81% in the U.K.), so I think the overall priority on the continent may well be to ensure the public have confidence in the regulatory process and to counteract antivaxxer conspiracy theories.

There’s a serious risk in a few countries that vaccine uptake will never achieve herd immunity levels and the pandemic could just roll on and on and on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Apologies if this has been asked before. I don't usually read this thread.

I just read the following in this article https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-vaccinations-to-begin-on-tuesday-a-day-earlier-than-planned-hse-says-1.4445984

Prof McConkey said he expected there to be between three and five vaccine options available in the State within four to six months, adding that he hoped to gain more “nuanced detail about the specific characteristics” of different vaccines.

Some of the vaccines which are set to become available in the coming weeks may work better among children under two years of age while others may work better among young people or 90 year olds, he said.

Other vaccines may turn out to be stronger at preventing transmission which will be particularly important for those working in nursing homes “whose main risk is not only to themselves but actually transferring as a vector the virus to people they’re caring for”.

Aren't all those working in nursing homes due to be vaccinated in the first round of vaccinations?
    Is he suggesting that if it turns out that another vaccine would be stronger at preventing transmission that they will then receive that vaccination also?

Is it possible that there are risks of using several different vaccines for the same thing in the same individuals? and if so, will a combination of vaccines be trialled first?

Combinations of vaccines are already being trialled elsewhere.

I suspect he’s just talking hypothetically, as it’s very likely that all the most at risk of the virus - frontline health workers and people in residential care etc will be vaccinated first, so will likely be BioNTech/ Pfizer or possibly Moderna. Those two vaccines are pretty similar technologies.

I wouldn’t jump to any conclusion that these vaccines are potentially dangerous or problematic. They don’t seem to be particularly high risk at all and the technology behind them is pretty limited in the sense that it can’t combine with your DNA or anything like that.

Being infected with coronavirus or many other pathogenic natural viruses could do a lot more damage than any hypothetical risk with vaccines. So you’re better off immunised against what is a novel virus to humans, rather than letting it have fun trying things out using your cells. Being immunised gives you protection without ever having had a new, relatively unfamiliar virus actually interacting with your system, which could have plenty of unknown outcomes.

The availability is going to be key. The other issue is that the cold chain requirements are coming about because of the speed of getting this to market. They are just playing very safe and the may also be able to come up with more practical formulations of the same vaccines as time goes on or may discover they’re being over cautious with the temperature.

So a lot may become easier as this rolls out both with new vaccines and minor tweaks to the ones we have on the market now.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Thanks autotuning.

Is it possible that if different vaccines have different characteristics that that may lead to a more dangerous mutation of the virus if we use different vaccines in the population?

Professor McConkey used examples of one vaccine possibly working better for the very young, one for the very old and maybe there would be another better at preventing transmission...and obviously the virus wants to keep going and replicate itself and transmit itself to others so is it possible that it is more risky to do it that way because the virus will adapt to exploit each vaccines apparent weakness?

I'm not jumping to conclusions that they are problematic or dangerous but it is a possibility and it's ok to question things and be cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭cmac2009

AZN vaccine just approved in the UK.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55280671

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

cmac2009 wrote: »

UK is going to be out of this way ahead of the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

cmac2009 wrote: »

Moderna will be approved next week by the EMA and AZN is expected to be approved in January. The UK really need all the vaccines they can get their hands on. Our task force head has suggested August as the likely completion date for us, for those who want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭cmac2009

UK is going to be out of this way ahead of the EU

Possibly, although every other part of their handling of pandemic has been absolutely shambolic, so I suspect they will continue in this vein with the rollout.

The odd one is AstraZenica hasn’t yet even filed an EMA application. So I wonder as we looking at a bit of vaccine nationalism from the U.K. ?

It doesn’t seem unlikely, given the animosity by the U.K. government shown towards the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The odd one is AstraZenica hasn’t yet even filed an EMA application. So I wonder as we looking at a bit of vaccine nationalism from the U.K. ?

It doesn’t seem unlikely, given the animosity by the U.K. government shown towards the EU.

It seems the EMA want more data on quality so I stand corrected on my January prediction for it.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/oxford-vaccine-unlikely-to-be-rolled-out-in-eu-in-january-as-ema-look-for-more-data-on-quality-of-vaccine-39910182.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

I doubt it, aren’t AstraZeneca Swedish, or at least part Swedish ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement