Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

marno21 wrote: »
    If Janssen come through with an effective single shot vaccine in the first 2 months of this year we won't need Oxford/AZ. There is an awful lot of faffing about with that vaccine at the minute and it would be better if resources were driven towards something with proven results.

If we do get Janssen in the first months of the year, single shot we'll have this addressed in mere months.

Anyone know the latest timelines for this vaccine?

For the 1 shot trial it's fully enrolled with 45,000

Interim data due in late January and they expect all going well to apply to FDA for EUA in February.

The EMA rolling review kicked off on 1st December

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Hopefully there is continuous monitoring of those vaccinated in the UK for efficacy. 600,000 vaccinated already so a significant dataset.
    Maybe they will publish regular details on efficacy, eg how many vaccinated ended up with serious illness if exposed to covid. Also interesting to see how vaccines cope with mutated covid variants.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

For the 1 shot trial it's fully enrolled with 45,000

Interim data due in late January and they expect all going well to apply to FDA for EUA in February.

The EMA rolling review kicked off on 1st December
    Great stuff. Should have that in March or so then.

The good news about a single shot vaccine is any approval is basically a month's advantage over a 2 dose vaccine due to the lack of lag between initial vaccination and the 2nd dose + dwell time before full effectiveness.

There's so much pissing around now with the AstraZeneca one that they risk being one of many approved down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Hopefully there is continuous monitoring of those vaccinated in the UK for efficacy. 600,000 vaccinated already so a significant dataset.
    Maybe they will publish regular details on efficacy, eg how many vaccinated ended up with serious illness if exposed to covid. Also interesting to see how vaccines cope with mutated covid variants.
    I really want to see the antibody response levels in the older coherts and the immunosupressed... so very very important.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Israel schooling the world now on getting this done. 7.4% of their population (643,600) complete.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Israel schooling the world now on getting this done. 7.4% of their population (643,600) complete.

Are they using just Pfizer?

Stheno wrote: »
    Are they using just Pfizer?

They sure are. US are the only western country using 2 (Moderna/Pfizer) as of today.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They sure are. US are the only western country using 2 (Moderna/Pfizer) as of today.

That's incredible progress by them so

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Fair play to Israel especially as they only have the Pfizer vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

irishgeo wrote: »
    Nobody knows except the HSE and they haven't released any figures?

Sounds like the HSE alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

They must be running around the street jabbing anyone they see.

That's an astonishing figure. Goes to show what can be done if you really want it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Great stuff. Should have that in March or so then.

The good news about a single shot vaccine is any approval is basically a month's advantage over a 2 dose vaccine due to the lack of lag between initial vaccination and the 2nd dose + dwell time before full effectiveness.

There's so much pissing around now with the AstraZeneca one that they risk being one of many approved down the road.

That's about half the good news, the other half is that you can vaccinate twice as many people with a given number of staff, doubling the speed of the roll out and I guess hugely simplifying the "paperwork".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

They must be running around the street jabbing anyone they see.

That's an astonishing figure. Goes to show what can be done if you really want it

Are the military running the vaccination program?

Plus, they probably paid a higher price per dose

Are the military running the vaccination program?

Plus, they probably paid a higher price per dose

I haven't a clue, but it shows what can be done if you want it hard enough.

They do have a huge military personnel though don't they, it makes sense to use them during this time.

I just wish we had the common sense to use ours in a similar fashion. Because don't think for one second that our lads aren't capable of sticking a needle in someone's arm.

Sure junkies manage it fairly easily and they're knocking on deaths door ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I haven't a clue, but it shows what can be done if you want it hard enough.

They do have a huge military personnel though don't they, it makes sense to use them during this time.

I just wish we had the common sense to use ours in a similar fashion. Because don't think for one second that our lads aren't capable of sticking a needle in someone's arm.

Sure junkies manage it fairly easily and they're knocking on deaths door ffs
    We currently have 10,000 doses here and available for use. The second batch came in yesterday I believe. They are anticipating 40K a week, probably higher when Moderna is approved next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I just checked and for my age demographic in the UK (50+ male, no underlying conditions) I'd be due to get vaccinated in May/June.

Wonder what it will be for that demographic in Ireland?

is_that_so wrote: »
    We currently have 10,000 doses here and available for use. The second batch came in yesterday I believe. They are anticipating 40K a week, probably higher when Moderna is approved next week.

Fingers crossed both the moderna and Oxford vaccines her approved quickly.

But I still believe they should be drafting in the army to help with administering the vaccine. The faster it's rolled out the better.

Let's hope we don't get caught with our twiggery swinging in the wind

NIMAN wrote: »
    I just checked and for my age demographic in the UK (50+ male, no underlying conditions) I'd be due to get vaccinated in May/June.

Wonder what it will be for that demographic in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

9.18% now - will be interesting to see their cases numbers at the end of Jan, we should start to see the impact of the vaccine on transmission and deaths.

Fingers crossed both the moderna and Oxford vaccines her approved quickly.

But I still believe they should be drafting in the army to help with administering the vaccine. The faster it's rolled out the better.

Let's hope we don't get caught with our twiggery swinging in the wind
    The two dose regime means you need to manage it well. Nursing homes should be done in 6 weeks, according to the plan, staff and residents. That's about 60K shots, with at least a further 100K for the health service. When Moderna is then added that could be up to 20K extra doses a week so even without Oxford we could have 50k-60K available a week. Oxford is the big one, with its less demanding storage requirements. With it onstream by February at the latest we can start make inroads into the first big cohort, Group 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    9.18% now - will be interesting to see their cases numbers at the end of Jan, we should start to see the impact of the vaccine on transmission and deaths.

I do hope Ireland does this, and keeps us up to date with how many are vaccinated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Israel are paying about x4-5 over the odds I think, they clearly took a strategic view some time ago and said they'd throw everything at this.

Meanwhile we are going to get 40,000 a week for now (one vaccine obviously) when to get the population inoculated to a reasonable level (70%+) we really need about 20000 every day to get that done this year.

250,000 "critical" population - illness, very old, nursing homes. = 6/7 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Would like to see numbers on how many vaccines can be injected per week based on current resources.
    are they still going for a 40 hour working week ?
    any extra resources planned to address this?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Israel are paying about x4-5 over the odds I think, they clearly took a strategic view some time ago and said they'd throw everything at this.

Meanwhile we are going to get 40,000 a week for now (one vaccine obviously) when to get the population inoculated to a reasonable level (70%+) we really need about 20000 every day to get that done this year.

250,000 "critical" population - illness, very old, nursing homes. = 6/7 weeks.

While we may get 250000 doses delivered by feb, sounds like the HSE is only planning to inject 10% of that by end of feb.

carq wrote: »
    While we may get 250000 doses delivered by feb, sounds like the HSE is only planning to inject 10% of that by end of feb.
    Well, Groups 1 & 2 cover that number. Group 1 is about 60K for two shots. We really don't know what they are planning, just what they are planning to do for the next few weeks with only one vaccine supply. That's all they have told us. With Moderna available from next week they'll tell us more.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well, Groups 1 & 2 cover that number. Group 1 is about 60K for two shots. We really don't know what they are planning, just what they are planning to do for the next few weeks with only one vaccine supply. That's all they have told us. With Moderna available from next week they'll tell us more.

What makes you so sure the ema will approve the moderna vaccine next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

AdamD wrote: »

That's a preliminary discussion before the real discussion.

Once the real discussion has taken place, expect them to put together a committee to compile a report on what's needed to provide the vaccine stats.

A task force should then be put together of senior govt officials, and NPHET.

All of this of course leading to an investigation and possible tribunal after the taskforce was found to be breaching covid regulations.*

*A photo of simon harris sniffing lines of donnellys shiny bald head in a function room at the K club has not yet been verified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I'm looking forward to hopefully being out of lockdown by the middle of 2022.

The UK have already vaccinated approximately 1,000,000 people.

In Ireland, Government ministers are on the airwaves today saying that they don't plan to have everyone vaccinated by the end of 2021.

What an absolute disgrace.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/mcentee-we-dont-anticipate-we-can-have-everybody-vaccinated-this-year-1128744

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

D.Q wrote: »
    That's a preliminary discussion before the real discussion.

Once the real discussion has taken place, expect them to put together a committee to compile a report on what's needed to provide the vaccine stats.

A task force should then be put together of senior govt officials, and NPHET.

All of this of course leading to an investigation and possible tribunal after the taskforce was found to be breaching covid regulations.*

*A photo of simon harris sniffing lines of donnellys shiny bald head in a function room at the K club has not yet been verified.

I’d love to see the stats daily but I can see how it would be difficult to compile. They have dispatched doses to hospitals and nursing homes but would need feedback of how many were administered, not impossible of course but not simple. Ideally there would be a central app which each person updates after each vaccine, so a live count is available, even to the public.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement