Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I’d love to see the stats daily but I can see how it would be difficult to compile. They have dispatched doses to hospitals and nursing homes but would need feedback of how many were administered, not impossible of course but not simple. Ideally there would be a central app which each person updates after each vaccine, so a live count is available, even to the public.

You are talking about the HSE.
    They dont do transparency. You can bet that conversation went more like this.
    "Right lads, what way can we manipulate the numbers we give out to make us look good?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

The Irish vaccination progress does seem a little lackluster, especially if you compare to the Israelis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

GazzaL wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to hopefully being out of lockdown by the middle of 2022.

The UK have already vaccinated approximately 1,000,000 people.

In Ireland, Government ministers are on the airwaves today saying that they don't plan to have everyone vaccinated by the end of 2021.

What an absolute disgrace.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/mcentee-we-dont-anticipate-we-can-have-everybody-vaccinated-this-year-1128744
    Maybe by “this year” she means by midnight tonight? Can you really say you’re surprised though? Everyone knew this would be a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Can’t dish out what we don’t have it’s that simple.
    We are stuck in bureaucracy of the EU.
    If we get millions of doses this year they will be given out.

• Sure they were expecting not to start the vaccine till mid 2021 earlier this year - I think they’d rather just overestimate than under, but who knows!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

JimmyVik wrote: »
    You are talking about the HSE.
    They dont do transparency. You can bet that conversation went more like this.
    "Right lads, what way can we manipulate the numbers we give out to make us look good?"

I know - I’m a dreamer.

In fairness they have given good transparency into testing so I’m hopeful.

Saying that I don’t understand how they havnt come out and said on Tuesday we vaccinated 380 people or whatever it is.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,583 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Meanwhile the CEO of the HSE, Paul Reid, has previously said a mass vaccination of the population should conclude by the summer.

"everyone" won't be vaccinated as the are obvious consent issues.

Think of an old person in a nursing home with dementia.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

JMNolan wrote: »
    The Irish vaccination progress does seem a little lackluster, especially if you compare to the Israelis

And it's great if you're not Palestinian.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/30/how-has-israel-launched-the-worlds-fastest-covid-vaccination-drive

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Maybe get Irish water to distribute them. They did a good job last time distributing those other things.

With more vaccines and more people getting infected than ever. With no scientific knowledge on my behalf, I'd say we'll feel a bit more normal by this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

GazzaL wrote: »

The UK have already vaccinated approximately 1,000,000 people.

Using that rate, the UK won't have everyone vaccinated by the end of 2021 either.

They have 66million+ to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I’d love to see the stats daily but I can see how it would be difficult to compile. They have dispatched doses to hospitals and nursing homes but would need feedback of how many were administered, not impossible of course but not simple. Ideally there would be a central app which each person updates after each vaccine, so a live count is available, even to the public.

I might be missing something but I don't see how it would be difficult. Factories, warehouses, supermarkets etc, can keep track of multiples of the volumes we are talking about on a daily basis. The pharma companies themselves would do the same. It's basic stock control.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

do you really need a new thread for this? there's a vaccine thread, and a restrictions thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I might be missing something but I don't see how it would be difficult. Factories, warehouses, supermarkets etc, can keep track of multiples of the volumes we are talking about on a daily basis. The pharma companies themselves would do the same. It's basic stock control.

Yeah that’s fair - maybe it’s better to say, possible for a decent company. Difficult for the HSE

I know - I’m a dreamer.

In fairness they have given good transparency into testing so I’m hopeful.

Saying that I don’t understand how they havnt come out and said on Tuesday we vaccinated 380 people or whatever it is.
    More likely to be a weekly total I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

https://www.newstalk.com/news/mcentee-we-dont-anticipate-we-can-have-everybody-vaccinated-this-year-1128744

"We don't anticipate that we can have everybody vaccinated this year."

This sort of talk needs to stop now. No "setting expectations" which are far beyond what other countries are aiming at. If our plan is anything other than getting a vaccine to everyone who wants one by the end of the Summer, the Government have failed. This lackadaisical attitude needs to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,779 ✭✭✭hynesie08

hmmm wrote: »

This sort of talk needs to stop now. No "setting expectations" which are far beyond what other countries are aiming at. If our plan is anything other than getting a vaccine to everyone who wants one by the end of the Summer, the Government have failed. This lackadaisical attitude needs to change.

Right, but how do you change it based on 40,000 doses of 1 vaccine a week? Because that's all we have, anything else is based in hypothetical situations........

Likely but hypothetical.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Weekly totals would be fine. What would be, peak level for 3.5M, 200/250,000 per week? It's all down to availability of supply IWT, not the logistics on our side.
    Whatever comes, we use. I'll be the first to criticise if that's not achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I'd take what Prof MacCraith says above the justice minister to be honest. Someone who's actually involved in the process.

He said himself if all goes to plan with EMA approval we would have enough stock by summer for anyone who wants it. Thats based on 3 vaccines possibly 4.

Until more come on stream we have 1 and you wont get everyone done with 1, but until others come on stream we have what we have and can't rollout what we don't

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Right, but how do you change it based on 40,000 doses of 1 vaccine a week? Because that's all we have, anything else is based in hypothetical situations........

Likely but hypothetical.

Brian MacCraith, head of the vaccine task force, said on Morning Ireland during the week he expects 530k per week to be delivered by mid summer. Big jump there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Government setting themselves up to fail the vaccine rollout, not the biggest country in the world surely 12 months would be a timeframe any national Health service could get everyone vaccinated.
    They should be looking at 7-8 month plan to do it ..
    The talk yesterday of a “ soft roll out “ for care homes shows they have no confidence in themselves to implement this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Absolutely. And if the hse cant do it the job it should be outsourced. No expense should be spared, pull people from other departments if they have to, involve the defence forces. Whatever it costs will be more than worth it in what will be saved in lives and livelihoods.

This should be a 7 day week round the clock job until its finished. If Israel can do it so can we.

marno21 wrote: »
    Brian MacCraith, head of the vaccine task force, said on Morning Ireland during the week he expects 530k per week to be delivered by mid summer. Big jump there.

There's the key word, of course there are revised plans for when we have more vaccines and doses, and they've already been devised, but right now we've got 1 amount of 1 vaccine so all time lines should be based around that.

harr wrote: »
    Government setting themselves up to fail the vaccine rollout, not the biggest country in the world surely 12 months would be a timeframe any national Health service could get everyone vaccinated.
    They should be looking at 7-8 month plan to o do it ..
    The talk yesterday of a “ soft roll out “ for care homes is shows they have no confidence in themselves to implement this.

If they went full on rollout on Monday into care homes and something went wrong you'd have people saying oh maybe they should have done a small number this week got the process nailed down and then gone with the full rollout. A disaster and confidence would be completely shot.

Dammed if they do dammed if they don't.

Its 25 care homes next week and full rollout from the week after, in parallel you've 4 hospitals currently administering and another 3 on stream from Monday. I'm quite happy with the process seeing as the lets go as quick as we can attitude in some European countries has lead to batches having to be discarded to due lack of training in the cold chain process along with an overdosing incident.

Always pays to have everything lined up before you start

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'd take what Prof MacCraith says above the justice minister to be honest. Someone who's actually involved in the process.
    Good for him, but he's not in government. Michael and Leo need to pull everyone aside and tell them that the vaccination program is a national priority to be completed as quickly as possible, and everyone needs to work to make this happen. And make sure everyone in cabinet is on the same page and showing the same sense of urgency.

No setting expectations for completion in 2022, that's admitting defeat before you've even started.

Good for him, but he's not in government. Michael and Leo need to pull everyone aside and tell them that the vaccination program is a national priority to be completed as quickly as possible, and everyone needs to work to make this happen. And make sure everyone in cabinet is on the same page.

There was an interview with Donnelly yesterday, he said whatever the HSE want they'll get, the only hold up could be with supply.

Can only take him at face value that whatever they ask for they will indeed get

Good for him, but he's not in government. Michael and Leo need to pull everyone aside and tell them that the vaccination program is a national priority to be completed as quickly as possible, and everyone needs to work to make this happen. And make sure everyone in cabinet is on the same page.

No setting expectations for completion in 2022, that's admitting defeat before you've even started.

And then by 3 o'clock Monday when your 24/7 drive through testing centres have run out because 90% of the weeks doses have been given to care homes and HCW, you'll be on here moaning about a waste of time and money......

They seem to be intimating that the process is really difficult. When it isn't... Secure the supply, set up centres, staff, appointments and work through the priority groups. It seems to be trend across the civil service to suggest things are more difficult than they actually are, they take the whole "manage expectations" thing a bit too far.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    And then by 3 o'clock Monday when your 24/7 drive through testing centres have run out because 90% of the weeks doses have been given to care homes and HCW, you'll be on here moaning about a waste of time and money......
    That's an impossible scenario as they will be done long before we get to the 24/7 centres...

is_that_so wrote: »
    That's an impossible scenario as they will be done long before we get to the 24/7 centres...

Exactly, it's almost like there's a rollout plan in place......

• Advertisement

Good for him, but he's not in government. Michael and Leo need to pull everyone aside and tell them that the vaccination program is a national priority to be completed as quickly as possible, and everyone needs to work to make this happen. And make sure everyone in cabinet is on the same page and showing the same sense of urgency.

He led the task force on the distribution plan so I'd pay attention to what he says. This is all about the HSE anyway, so it doesn't matter what anyone else has to say in Cabinet. We will judge this by how the HSE performs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement