Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Exactly, it's almost like there's a rollout plan in place......
    This is the Justice Minister, one of the most senior ministers in cabinet. If her expectation is that we won't get everyone vaccinated by the end of 2021, what else is being said in government which isn't being said in public?

Hopefully she misspoke or this is a clumsy attempt at setting expectations, but if this is the real expectation in cabinet then someone needs to put a rocket up their collective behinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Exactly, it's almost like there's a rollout plan in place......
    I can understand the frustration, especially when other countries are "racing ahead". I don't think we can judge a plan that hasn't even started yet and where the numbers initially vaccinated will depend on limited supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,779 ✭✭✭hynesie08

hmmm wrote: »
    This is the Justice Minister, one of the most senior ministers in cabinet. If her expectation is that we won't get everyone vaccinated by the end of 2021, what else is being said in government which isn't being said in public?

Hopefully she misspoke, but if this is the expectation in cabinet then someone needs to put a rocket up their collective behinds.

What do you want them to say? There are plans in place to vaccinate 500000 people a week if we can get that many doses, we just have to wait for the paperwork.

What would happen if they started announcing the rollout of moderna, and it didn't get EU approval? Never work in maybes.

Before someone says it, yes we could organise our own deal, but does any manufacturer have 5 million spare vaccines lying around?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,779 ✭✭✭hynesie08

is_that_so wrote: »
    I can understand the frustration, especially when other countries are "racing ahead". I don't think we can judge a plan that hasn't even started yet and where the numbers initially vaccinated will depend on limited supplies.

It really is that simple when it comes down to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

They seem to be intimating that the process is really difficult. When it isn't... Secure the supply, set up centres, staff, appointments and work through the priority groups. It seems to be trend across the civil service to suggest things are more difficult than they actually are, they take the whole "manage expectations" thing a bit too far.

Progress is going to be compared to the rest of Europe not the managed expectations they are trying to set themselves. There's fuss already over non starting sooner on a very small number of jabs, the media are already on it.
    Lobby groups will be on it fast also especially if there's risk the hospitality industry will still be impacted similar to last summer.

Sooner the cabinet realised this the better, absolutely baffling stuff from McEntee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

lbj666 wrote: »
    Progress is going to be compared to the rest of Europe not the managed expectations they are trying to set themselves. There's fuss already over non starting sooner on a very small number of jabs, the media are already on it.
    Lobby groups will be on it fast also especially if there's risk the hospitality industry will still be impacted similar to last summer.

Sooner the cabinet realised this the better, absolutely baffling stuff from McEntee.

They will probably do their best not to publish numbers.
    Too easily compared to the rest of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Fergal Bowers has tweeted about how the roll-out is the real test for the HSE in 2021 and that the public will be watching like a hawk.

What do you want them to say? There are plans in place to vaccinate 500000 people a week if we can get that many doses, we just have to wait for the paperwork.
    "The vaccination program is a national priority. Every member of cabinet is committed to ensuring this is completed in the shortest possible timescale, and we will provide every resource and support to make it happen."

That's all you want to hear from the leadership of the country. I'm not expecting anyone except the Health Minister to be able to dive into the minutiae of supply or distribution. If you were running a business and your senior managers were showing such a lack of ambition, it wouldn't be particularly inspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The monetary cost of any delays in vaccinations alone should ensure that the HSE get absolutely anything they ask for when it comes to the rollout. I genuinely think it would be cheaper to launch resources at it and ask questions later. Bit meaningless right now when the the number of vaccines available are quite low but when they ramp up there is no excuse whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

Seems the UK government are messing with the duration between the first and second doses, against manufacturer's advice.

I think I'd prefer our plan TBH.

https://twitter.com/farrell_katrina/status/1344610377565405184?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

What would happen if they started announcing the rollout of moderna, and it didn't get EU approval? Never work in maybes.

Before someone says it, yes we could organise our own deal, but does any manufacturer have 5 million spare vaccines lying around?

But the statement is already admitting defeat that the vaccination program will not be complete in 2021.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that they make a statement they will complete it for sure.
    Hmmm is right, it's like they are setting a presedent for failure already when there was no need to say anything at all about it yet.

It will not install anyone with confidence coming from a very high up government minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

But the statement is already admitting defeat that the vaccination program will not be complete in 2021.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that they make a statement they will complete it for sure.
    But Hmmm is right, it's like they are setting a presedent for failure already when there was no need to say anything at all about it yet.

It will not install anyone with confidence coming from a very high up government minister.

Also doesn't exactly inspire people to adhere to restrictions when they're saying we won't even have you vaccinated in the next 12 months. If people thought that was the timeline could they handle it? Not sure I could

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Fergal Bowers has tweeted about how the roll-out is the real test for the HSE in 2021 and that the public will be watching like a hawk.

If the HSE fcuk this up then I can see massive protest and a huge backlash
    People are sick to death of the inefficiency of the top layer of the HSE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Absolutely. And if the hse cant do it the job it should be outsourced. No expense should be spared, pull people from other departments if they have to, involve the defence forces. Whatever it costs will be more than worth it in what will be saved in lives and livelihoods.

This should be a 7 day week round the clock job until its finished. If Israel can do it so can we.

100%.

It's driving me nuts the lack of urgency from the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

iamwhoiam wrote: »

No chance . A lot of people would live like this forever

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

No chance . A lot of people would live like this forever

No they wouldnt .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

As the Deputy British CMO was at pains to stress at last night's press conference, the limiting factor in vaccine rollout needs to be supply, not logistics/resources on the part of the British authorities.

We need our vaccinators sitting around with nothing to do because they've rolled out the vaccine so efficiently that Pfizer and the others can't keep up. The fear is that, knowing the HSE's form it will be very much the opposite scenario.

I've a pain in my arse reading the sneering about other countries' vaccine rollout in this forum (in particular Britain but others too) Posters were clearly delighted that there were allergic reactions in Britain and problems with overdosing and cold chain in Germany.

A peculiar little country this. Bailed out by the EU during the financial crisis. Economy heavily dependent on US multinationals meaning we sh*t ourselves if there is any hint of a change in US policy. Token military. Reliant on the Royal Air Force to take action if Jihadis decide to fly a jet into Croke Park on All Ireland final day. We are different to most other European countries (and Israel) in that we don't have a history of invading/colonising and fighting with other countries. If we fail with this vaccine rollout, having an "it'll be grand" mentality rather than a "war" mentality will likely be a factor.

As an aside if we had to fund the equivalent of the UK's 40 billion p.a. defence spending, we might have had some more difficult economic vs public health decisions to make here and be in no position to sneer at the British Covid response.

100%.

It's driving me nuts the lack of urgency from the government.
    You can't be terribly urgent when all you have is 9,700 vaccine doses. It all really kicks off on Monday at your local nursing home.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You can't be terribly urgent when all you have is 9,700 vaccine doses. It all really kicks off on Monday at your local nursing home.

We got another 30k Tuesday iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,243 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Seems the UK government are messing with the duration between the first and second doses, against manufacturer's advice.

I think I'd prefer our plan TBH.

https://twitter.com/farrell_katrina/status/1344610377565405184?s=20

Definitely a case of the Brits are at it again. I hope we stick by the manufacturers advice and what the basis of the authorisation is rather than going off on a solo run.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    We got another 30k Tuesday iirc
    Yep but that's for the care homes. Think Reid said we'll get another 30K batch next Tuesday or Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

iamwhoiam wrote: »

It's not just HSE they shouldn't be singled out, it's an unprecedented programme that's daunting for any health service, the bigger failing would be Government not seeing to do everything to overcome the limitations inefficiencies of the HSE

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Definitely a case of the Brits are at it again. I hope we stick by the manufacturers advice and what the basis of the authorisation is rather than going off on a solo run.
    I'm not sure this is going to age well. Let's see where our hospitals are at in 30 days and we might be changing our minds.

Yep but that's for the care homes. Think Reid said we'll get another 30K batch next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Wasn't it meant to be 40k a week after the initial 10k batch that came in?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Its 40k from next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

harr wrote: »
    Government setting themselves up to fail the vaccine rollout, not the biggest country in the world surely 12 months would be a timeframe any national Health service could get everyone vaccinated.
    They should be looking at 7-8 month plan to do it ..
    The talk yesterday of a “ soft roll out “ for care homes shows they have no confidence in themselves to implement this.

I see Governments falling if they don’t get this right.

hmmm wrote: »
    I'm not sure this is going to age well. Let's see where our hospitals are at in 30 days and we might be changing our minds.

We won't have a whole pile of vaccine in 30 days. Deviating from the manufacturers advice and the EMA authorisation isn't a decision to be taken lightly.

lbj666 wrote: »
    It's not just HSE they shouldn't be singled out, it's an unprecedented programme that's daunting for any health service, the bigger failing would be Government not seeing to do everything to overcome the limitations inefficiencies of the HSE
    They've already nailed their colours to the mast on care homes - mid February and the first two groups are in very controlled environments. It's only when we get to the over 70s that we first see very big numbers to vaccinate. That should be February into March.

That's what they are hoping for, so we have 40K delivered for this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Apologies if this has already come up, but I just read that Helen McEntee saying that everyone won't be vaccinated in 2021. I read earlier this week that MM said that everyone who wants to be will be vaccinated in August/September.

What has changed?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement