Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,779 ✭✭✭hynesie08

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already come up, but I just read that Helen McEntee saying that everyone won't be vaccinated in 2021. I read earlier this week that MM said that everyone who wants to be will be vaccinated in August/September.

What has changed?

Michael is dealing in maybes, IF we approve moderna and IF we approve Oxford and IF the promised doses of both arrive, we'll be fine.

If we were to just receive the doses of the Pfizer vaccine it'd be 2 years for Europe to be vaccinated.

Option 1 is obviously 99% likely, but I wouldn't be stating it categorically.......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Michael is dealing in maybes, IF we approve moderna and IF we approve Oxford and IF the promised doses of both arrive, we'll be fine.

If we were to just receive the doses of the Pfizer vaccine it'd be 2 years for Europe to be vaccinated.

Option 1 is obviously 99% likely, but I wouldn't be stating it categorically.......

Even in a best case scenario where we approve Oxford and Modern in January and Jansen (they are next aren't they) in February and Novavax and Curevac in March we probably won't be able to vaccinate everyone in the country in 2021.

However not everyone will want to be vaccinated.

Also the EMA came out this morning (or last night I'm not sure I read it this morning) criticising the data they have gotten from Oxford Astra Zenaca.

I've seen a few people saying that on the basis of that that the EMA is not likely to approve til February or March.

Obviously this could delay things as the Oxford vaccine is one of the best vaccines in terms of them being able to make large quantities.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I think Novavax are also due to report results of UK trial in January so could get approved for us then. US trial only starting now so hopefully, we can get a good supply of that while they wait for the US to approve it! Their vaccine is apparently very easy to produce and good storage conditions.

I think we can all breath a sigh of relief if J&J get good results. Single dose shot will be the biggest game changer for mass vaccination drives.

I have to say after dealing with the HSE testing system, I have great confidence that they can roll this out once supply issues are fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

We were expected to get 30k more vacs this week.

Did we get them?

Did we get them?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Did we get them?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

nommm wrote: »
    I think Novavax are also due to report results of UK trial in January so could get approved for us then. US trial only starting now so hopefully, we can get a good supply of that while they wait for the US to approve it! Their vaccine is apparently very easy to produce and good storage conditions.

I think we can all breath a sigh of relief if J&J get good results. Single dose shot will be the biggest game changer for mass vaccination drives.

I have to say after dealing with the HSE testing system, I have great confidence that they can roll this out once supply issues are fixed.

So much information. Didn't j&j enroll people in a new 2 jab trial back in November due to poor efficacy in the single jab vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already come up, but I just read that Helen McEntee saying that everyone won't be vaccinated in 2021. I read earlier this week that MM said that everyone who wants to be will be vaccinated in August/September.

What has changed?
    TBF McEntee only comments on how things are. The likes of Leo and Martin like to bring gifts, even imaginary ones.

So much information. Didn't j&j enroll people in a new 2 jab trial back in November due to poor efficacy in the single jab vaccine.

I don’t think it was due to poor efficiency. They haven’t got the interim results yet! They are probably just doing it as a back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Even in a best case scenario where we approve Oxford and Modern in January and Jansen (they are next aren't they) in February and Novavax and Curevac in March we probably won't be able to vaccinate everyone in the country in 2021.
    We'll be the only country in Europe with a vaccination target date of 2022.

I think it's ridiculous to be even having this discussion. Government should have a target of mid-2021 based on best current estimates of when supply becomes available. If there's a failure of AstraZeneca or J&J then plans will have to change.

• Advertisement

They did create a two dose trial but it had nothing to do with poor efficacy of the one dose trial. They wouldn't have access to that information yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

J and J are running a 2 dose trial of the vaccine, but they said this was planned, and there is nothing to suggest that the one dose wasn't effective at this stage. We will get efficacy data on their 1 dose trial in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

is_that_so wrote: »
    You can't be terribly urgent when all you have is 9,700 vaccine doses. It all really kicks off on Monday at your local nursing home.

They could have done 9,700 people with that.
    How many did they do?

nommm wrote: »
    I don’t think it was due to poor efficiency. They haven’t got the interim results yet! They are probably just doing it as a back up.
    It is a backup. They have 45,000 enrolled on their single jab trial.

This is a good summary of whats going on with the various vaccines at the moment. https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/12/30/vaccine-roundup-late-december

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

While accepting that the Government may be limited in the amount of vaccine they can procure it's important that they be held to account on their performance with the available stocks. As a minimum there should be daily figures on the amounts of vaccinations administered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Maybe it is because members of government are having less interaction with their constituents due to restrictions, but I am not sure they quite realise that their tenure will be judged on their ability to roll out the vaccine as quickly as possible. The Minister of Health, I believe, misread the room the other day saying "we want to do this right." Doing it right actually means doing it as quickly as possible, throwing every available resource behind it so that more people don't die. And so that people can see friends and family, enjoy life without having to worry about getting a horrible virus and giving it to loved ones, getting their jobs back, going back to college and so on. We might not getting everyone incoluated as quickly as we would like, but my god, moving as quickly as possible to end this nightmare has to be the goal here once supply allows. The government squandered the enormous sacrifices and social solidarity of spring 2020 by allowing thousands of people to come and go from the country as they pleased, which laid the foundations for the current mess. We will not allow them to **** this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

is_that_so wrote: »
    TBF McEntee only comments on how things are. The likes of Leo and Martin like to bring gifts, even imaginary ones.

Basing expectations on having more vacines approved not just pfizers, is far more based on reality

St.Spodo wrote: »
    Maybe it is because members of government are having less interaction with their constituents due to restrictions, but I am not sure they quite realise that their tenure will be judged on their ability to roll out the vaccine as quickly as possible. The Minister of Health, I believe, misread the room the other day saying "we want to do this right." Doing it right actually means doing it as quickly as possible, throwing every available resource behind it so that more people don't die. And so that people can see friends and family, enjoy life without having to worry about getting a horrible virus and giving it to loved ones, getting their jobs back, going back to college and so on. We might not getting everyone incoluated as quickly as we would like, but my god, moving as quickly as possible to end this nightmare has to be the goal here once supply allows..
    There's a lot of people in the private sector (myself included) who have had their incomes badly affected by the pandemic, and while we're happy to do the right thing during the epidemic phase there is zero tolerance for any sort of delays during the vaccine rollout - I'm sure this extends to other groups like those who live with vulnerable people. Fergal Bowers is right that the HSE (and politicians) will be under incredible scrutiny - this won't be like a children's hospital where everyone just throws their eyes up to heaven if things go wrong, there will be real frustration and anger if the rollout is delayed.

And getting this done, no different to any business, starts with the tone from the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I wouldn't trust a word McEntee says to be honest. Based on what I'm hearing the HSE are raring to go. As I mentioned previously, drive in centres are ready to be rolled out within hours notice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    If the HSE fcuk this up then I can see massive protest and a huge backlash
    People are sick to death of the inefficiency of the top layer of the HSE
    And that can be taken quite literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

VG31 wrote: »
    Speaking of the Israeli approach, they're moving extremely fast with the vaccine rollout. The impact of the vaccine on reducing lockdowns/restrictions should be evident there very soon.

Screenshot-2020-12-30-201422.png

How do we know that those figures are real?
    Forgive me if I keep talking about my country, but here it says that on December 30 Italy had distributed 20k vaccines, and this is absolutely false, because we haven't even received those doses yet. We only received 9.75k doses from Pfizer

The last figures of today (December 31) are that only 9.5k doses have been given to some health workers and a few residents in care homes.
    If the figure in this chart for my country is so off from reality, how can we be sure that the others (including Israel) are true?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Listen to Brian MacCraith as he's the Kaiser on this rollout. Much of the rest will be just noise.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    They could have done 9,700 people with that.
    How many did they do?
    I don't know. They are in at least 4 hospitals this week. I reckon we'll see weekly totals of vaccinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There has been talk of the EU buying vaccines in a massive block, and each member country getting its share.

Now if each country isn't getting the exact same percentage per capita, then we aren't all equal in the EU.

NIMAN wrote: »
    There has been talk of the EU buying vaccines in a massive block, and each member country getting its share.

Now if each country isn't getting the exact same percentage per capita, then we aren't all equal in the EU.
    Yes that's how it works, we are at 1.1%.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Anyone following this would know that only half the 9,000 were going to be used with half being held back for the second dose. This is just being done until supply chain is fully verified as reliable.

Well good to see this clarified so quickly:
    https://extra.ie/2020/12/31/news/politics/taoiseach-says-justice-minister-helen-mcentee-misspoke-amid-panic-over-vaccine-comments

"However, the Taoiseach’s spokesman told Extra.ie that Minister McEntee ‘misspoke’ and that the Government’s position remained the same that there would be a ‘swift and safe rollout’ with everyone vaccinated by mid-summer."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Everyone vaccinated by mid-summer?

Now I'm not a betting man ..... but if I was.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Everyone vaccinated by mid-summer?

Now I'm not a betting man ..... but if I was.
    Anyone who wants it, so probably about 70% of the adult population.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement