Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

hmmm wrote: »
    Well good to see this clarified so quickly:
    https://extra.ie/2020/12/31/news/politics/taoiseach-says-justice-minister-helen-mcentee-misspoke-amid-panic-over-vaccine-comments

"However, the Taoiseach’s spokesman told Extra.ie that Minister McEntee ‘misspoke’ and that the Government’s position remained the same that there would be a ‘swift and safe rollout’ with everyone vaccinated by mid-summer."
    Cabinet should not be making blanket comments like she made, highly unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

NIMAN wrote: »
    There has been talk of the EU buying vaccines in a massive block, and each member country getting its share.

Now if each country isn't getting the exact same percentage per capita, then we aren't all equal in the EU.

This was sorted months ago, there was a push from countries with older populations to get more earlier, but i dont think it got anywhere. Either way its as per capita here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

nommm wrote: »
    This is a good summary of whats going on with the various vaccines at the moment. https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/12/30/vaccine-roundup-late-december
    Wonder would a sticky just on the various vaccines be a good idea? There may come a time when a choice between 3 or 4 of them may be an option for some people, and the more information the better in helping with that decision.

Cabinet should not be making blanket comments like she made, highly unprofessional.

Or they are being highly strategic with who says what.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

How do we know that those figures are real?
    Forgive me if I keep talking about my country, but here it says that on December 30 Italy had distributed 20k vaccines, and this is absolutely false, because we haven't even received those doses yet. We only received 9.75k doses from Pfizer

The last figures of today (December 31) are that only 9.5k doses have been given to some health workers and a few residents in care homes.
    If the figure in this chart for my country is so off from reality, how can we be sure that the others (including Israel) are true?

That's odd, given all EU countries supposedly got their additional batch earlier this week. Why would there be a 3 day delay on Italy's delivery when all the rest of the EU got them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

How do we know that those figures are real?
    Forgive me if I keep talking about my country, but here it says that on December 30 Italy had distributed 20k vaccines, and this is absolutely false, because we haven't even received those doses yet. We only received 9.75k doses from Pfizer

The last figures of today (December 31) are that only 9.5k doses have been given to some health workers and a few residents in care homes.
    If the figure in this chart for my country is so off from reality, how can we be sure that the others (including Israel) are true?

How would aurally get less doses than Ireland? We got 9750 and then an extra 30,000 so doesn’t seem plausible Italy got less?

The source is the Italian government:

https://www.invitalia.it/cosa-facciamo/emergenza-coronavirus/notizie/ufficio-commissario-oggi-vaccinati-9803-italiani

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    How would aurally get less doses than Ireland? We got 9750 and then an extra 30,000 so doesn’t seem plausible Italy got less?

The source is the Italian government:

https://www.invitalia.it/cosa-facciamo/emergenza-coronavirus/notizie/ufficio-commissario-oggi-vaccinati-9803-italiani

It says
    "sono stati già vaccinati 9.803 italiani, oltre il 100% delle 9.750 dosi distribuite"
    "9.8k Italians have been vaccinated already, over 100% of the 9.75 received doses" (I wonder how they were able to give people more doses than they received).
    So, my words stand, the figure in that chart is way off form the reality. I would be doubtful on a few other figures too.

We received 9.75k doses with a FRCX van soon after Christmas, and the first doses have been administered in these last three or four days. We have received a new batch yesterday with a DHL aircraft, but those new doses have been just shipped to different areas of the country and I don't think they have administered yet. As far as I know, the new V-day should be Jan 4.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    That's odd, given all EU countries supposedly got their additional batch earlier this week. Why would there be a 3 day delay on Italy's delivery when all the rest of the EU got them?

We received the additional supply yesterday and the refrigerated boxes have been dispatched to different areas of the country with military aircrafts. As far as I know, Jan 4 should be the next day for vaccinations.
    The chart refers to December 30, yesterday, and yesterday the doses distributed were what we had received from Pfizer a few days ago, that were 9.75k, so 20k doses isn't true at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

It says
    "sono stati già vaccinati 9.803 italiani, oltre il 100% delle 9.750 dosi distribuite"
    "9.8k Italians have been vaccinated already, over 100% of the 9.75 received doses"
    So, my words stand, the figure in that chart is way off form the reality. I would be doubtful on a few other figures too.

We received 9.75k doses with a FRCX van soon after Christmas, and the first doses have been administered in these last three or four days. We have received a new batch yesterday with a DHL aircraft, but those new doses have been just shipped to different areas of the country and I don't think they have administered yet. As far as I know, the new V-day should be Jan 4.

Thanks - a press release which says they have used more than they received is interesting alright!

Thanks - a press release which says they have used more than they received is interesting alright!

I edited my post with your same doubt, sorry. But I'm happy we have seen the same incongruity.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

NIMAN wrote: »
    There has been talk of the EU buying vaccines in a massive block, and each member country getting its share.

Now if each country isn't getting the exact same percentage per capita, then we aren't all equal in the EU.

That was obvious when Germany went directly to Pfizer and ordered another 30m doses for themselves.

Ireland should go directly to AstraZeneca and place the order now for millions of vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Each vial of the vaccine is rated for 5 doses but contains a little bit of extra in case of wasteage.

They have been making up extra doses from the remains of vials.

That was obvious when Germany went directly to Pfizer and ordered another 30m doses for themselves.

Ireland should go directly to AstraZeneca and place the order now for millions of vaccines.

The deal that all the EU countries have signed has a part where it says that buying more doses outside the deal is prohibited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Oxford vaccine will be just fine for the majority of the population it's about
    5 euro a pop. Spend 30m on that and go for mass inoculation programme in pharmacy's, doctors surgeries as well as dedicated centres.

Each vial of the vaccine is rated for 5 doses but contains a little bit of extra in case of wasteage.

They have been making up extra doses from the remains of vials.

You are right, spot on!
    Anyway this still doesn't justify the wrong figure on that chart. We have received 9.75k doses, plus a sixth dose from each vial, makes a total of 11.7k, which is nearly half of 20k stated on the chart.

EDIT:
    Official figures
    E' di 14.334 il totale delle vaccinazioni anti-Covid effettuate in Italia al 31 dicembre, aggiornate alle ore 13.34. I dati sono consultabili e disponibili da oggi, in tempo reale, sul sito dell'Agenzia italiana del farmaco Aifa, sul portale del Commissario straordinario per l'emergenza e altri portali istituzionali. I dati sono in continuo aggiornamento. Al momento sono stati vaccinati 7.813 donne e 6.521 uomini.

At 1:34pm of today, the vaccinations in this country were 14,334, of which 7,813 are women, and 6,521 are men.

This is 10 times less than Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

The deal that all the EU countries have signed has a part where it says that buying more doses outside the deal is prohibited.

Lol

Germany don’t care

This is a repeat of the PPE scenario
    Germany is conducting direct negotiations with domestic Covid-19 vaccine developers to obtain more doses than would be allocated through the shared European Union plan, Health Minister Jens Spahn said.

Asked by a reporter whether its bilateral negotiations didn’t go against the spirit of that approach, Spahn said talks with BioNTech and CureVac started only after it was established that the companies would be able to meet the stated demand of all EU member countries.

“We can’t be prohibited forever from buying additional vaccine doses on our own,” he said.

They are to get it after the EU allocation is full given out in full, which recent news would be finished by end of September. So Germany wont be getting that until later in the year.

A lot of this is more to do with contingencies and security of supply encase approval for the next vacines up gets prolongued or god forbid not given at all, or if another supplier is not fulfilling their promise on getting vacines sent on time or a batch failed QA testing etc.

Its all about risk management preparing for worst case scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There is no doubt that, in terms of ramping up production and easy of logistics the Oxford vaccine could be the one to treat a major section of the pop.
    Along with the flexibility in its two dose strategy boosts the numbers that can be done early.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

No plans for EU to approve Oxford Vaccine in January

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Colm Henry - "All 7 hospital groups will be vaccinating from Monday "

Gael23 wrote: »

This has already been covered a few times. Theres no plans currently as more data is needed (has been requested from AstraZeneca) and there's been no application for conditional marketing authorisation in from AstraZeneca

https://twitter.com/EMA_News/status/1344328548543291394?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

eigrod wrote: »

Yeah just announced there by Colm Henry.

Hosptial vacinations really getting going next week at quicker pace than expected

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Yeah just announced there by Colm Henry.

Hosptial vacinations really getting going next week at quicker pace than expected

I do think that the outcry this week has pushed things along in terms of urgency.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Jesus , they need to get this vaccine out soon. Holohan is recommending tighter restrictions than level 5, sent a letter to the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Gael23 wrote: »

even if we had it in january, We yes We as a country are not prepared,

700,000 people not working at the moment and we cant even get thru the 10K we got last week,

lets see if RTE drag out some folks who are responsbilbe for this, lets see the gannt, the risk, the detail,

Dedicate an hour to it SAturday

There's no excuse here, VAccines were coming all year long.

eigrod wrote: »

So that will be about 20,000 to 30,000 left in the fridage,

gally74 wrote: »

Actally would be more like 40,000 to 60,000 left inthe fridge,

10K +40K +40K. use 20K....hmmm

• Advertisement

gally74 wrote: »

For the first few weeks second doses will be kept back.

This is to ensure supply does indeed come on time and no issues are ran into with delivery.

It was clarified yesterday that once there is confidence in the deliveries to arrive on time and sufficient quantities (40k per week) doses will go out as they come in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement