Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

We have to have an extraordinary emergency meeting (behind closed doors naturally) to decide which politican's/minister's friend/donor/brother/nephew will become a multi-millionaire from the roll-out.
    That's how things work here.!!
    Oh, and we dont work weekends....;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's not "unambitious," they are pacing it out in a controlled manner.

TBH, It's a bit of a stretch to aspire to anything Israel achieves. Their sole objective to is protect Israel. It shouldn't come as much of a surprise they've a means to do a mass vaccination program. Considering what they've done with such things before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Ireland's vaccination schedule is in line with the rest of the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Think we'll be one of the slowest... especially as most other European nations have armies that will be helping with the Astrazeneca and J&J roll outs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭CharlieHaghy

We must question our government and ask why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I read somewhere Israel have paid loads for speed but have no guarantee of supply which is important in a timed double dose vaccine, as part of the EU negotiations we have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tosspot

Happy new year all. Not a contributor (apologies) but this thread alone has helped me to keep positive about the outlook of all of this and to help spread that positivity to others I know. Thank you and here's to looking forward to a more social 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

tosspot wrote: »
    Happy new year all. Not a contributor (apologies) but this thread alone has helped me to keep positive about the outlook of all of this and to help spread that positivity to others I know. Thanks you and here's to looking forward to a more social 2021

Glad to hear, there's been some exceptional technical discussion here over the last few months. By far one of the best threads & informative.

Made me educate myself in the early months of the pandemic to understand what was going on, a fascinating subject matter when you dive into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Pfizer have straight out and criticised it. One could say but they would do wouldn't they as they will lose out on the second sale, except that they can't even meet a fraction of the demand.

I almost admire their urgency...as in they see that the vaccine is in fact the silver bullet and are trying to hurry the process up. However deviating away from the trialled sequence is a huge risk...jesus they all had one job to do..ensure the hassle free roll out of vaccines and world will get back to normality but 3 weeks in and it's gone askew!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

There won't be much delay, as the vaccine availability is limited, the Dutch are not starting for another week. .

However, things will rev up. The Moderna vaccine will be approved next week and the AstraZenaca in a few weeks, with the Johnson and Johnson one a few weeks after that, the latter is supposed to be one dose. So there will be two and half times the vaccination rate in February and four times that by March. The CureVac project seems to be in no particular hurry, but probably they can complete trials fairly quickly as there is now more Covid about, so they should be here in May to push on completing vaccination of adults. And there are several more projects that will have results in the Spring, including a Canadian one using tobacco plants and perhaps these may be useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Timistry

Happy new year folks. hope all is well in 2021, it cant be worse than 2020. roll out the vaccine and let the good times roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Israel is ahead in the world with vaccine delivery, but you single Ireland out as being so slow? As if we're the slowest worldwide?
    They are putting the world to shame with their roll out, not just Ireland.

Lets hope Israel won't be an embarrassment by preventing infections for those in Palestine and the West Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

TheChizler wrote: »
    I read somewhere Israel have paid loads for speed but have no guarantee of supply which is important in a timed double dose vaccine, as part of the EU negotiations we have that.

Whizz?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 124 ✭✭Treseemme.

Like a lot of public services we are an embarrassment, we should price around to see if we can outsource our vaccine distribution....it's beyond us as a nation, you know we will make a bags of it, it's a certainty.

To who though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭rock22

glaston wrote: »
    Seriously..
    We knew we’ll in advance when the Pfizer vaccine was going to be approved yet we had to wait for consent forms etc.
    Meanwhile Israel has vaccinated 9% of its population in 2 weeks, 800,000 doses...albeit 1 dose pp. 150,000 vaccinations per day.
    How have we been so slow?

This must be one of the most ill informed posts on Boards.
    The roll out is limited, as it is all over EU, by the supply . We cannot vacciniate without the vaccine you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

First Covid-19 experts, now boards has vaccination experts.

Ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

It's not "unambitious," they are pacing it out in a controlled manner.

TBH, It's a bit of a stretch to aspire to anything Israel achieves. Their sole objective to is protect Israel. It shouldn't come as much of a surprise they've a means to do a mass vaccination program. Considering what they've done with such things before.

You're right, it's not unambitious. The important thing at the start is not the pace, it's getting it stood up right. Get the processes right and increase scale. That's ignoring vaccine availability at the beginning.

Also, there's enough people that are on the fence or unwilling to get this for a multitude of reasons, baseless, uninformed or otherwise. So we must proceed with caution at the beginning and have no hiccups. And the side effect of the volume of these people is that it increases the need for tightness on the admin side. Simply, we need to know who's had this and the people that have had it need to have consented.

It's not realistic to just do 20 people an hour. A team of people will do 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

What if there was a late delivery or a batch that had to be returned due to a cold chain issue? This is 100% the right way to do it. Once the 3 week scale up is complete will be rolling out 40k every week that we get the 40k. And the new approvals will just integrate into the flow of vaccines

This is absolutely 100%, and is what I was told is happening .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I almost admire their urgency...as in they see that the vaccine is in fact the silver bullet and are trying to hurry the process up. However deviating away from the trialled sequence is a huge risk...jesus they all had one job to do..ensure the hassle free roll out of vaccines and world will get back to normality but 3 weeks in and it's gone askew!

Well they certainly have "left" the EU, extrapolating the "ideal" dose regime for the AZ vaccine and only one dose of the Pfizer one. I hope we won't all pay from their gambling with increased vaccine hesitancy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

It's not realistic to just do 20 people an hour. A team of people will do 4.

That's incredibly damning. You need a team of people to administer one jab every 15 minute. The lack of ambition is astounding.

To put this in perspective. At work we get the flu jab each year. One nurse from a private company administers the whole process and still gets through 1 person each 10 minute for a whole day.

But here in the middle of a pandemic, that is costing lives and livelihoods each day it drags out, we are meant to accept a "team of people" administering the vaccine and a snails pace.

• Advertisement

To add, we all know what's going to happen over the next year. A completely incompetent, disjointed and slow rollover of the vaccine. Why? A proven track record of incompetence and lack of ability and ambition to do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Diarmuid wrote:
    To add, we all know what's going to happen over the next year. A completely incompetent, disjointed and slow rollover of the vaccine. Why? A proven track record of incompetence and lack of ability and ambition to do better.

Should all be sacked and privatised!

Well they certainly have "left" the EU, extrapolating the "ideal" dose regime for the AZ vaccine and only one dose of the Pfizer one. I hope we won't all pay from their gambling with increased vaccine hesitancy

Whos making these decisions in the UK , are they politically driven

I wouldn't trust anything BJ does

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Should all be sacked and privatised!

Put Diarmuid in charge I say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

It's amazing the amount of people who are defending the vaccine roll out here. We are the second slowest in Europe. It's an absolute embarrassment that will cost lives and cost jobs and businesses.

Treseemme. wrote: »
    Put Diarmuid in charge I say

Or, now hear me out here, maybe put someone in charge with a proven track record and who will be accountable for the process.
    I can dream

But no, it'll be a committee of 300 people, passing the buck and blaming a million and one other factors for the lack of delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Diarmuid wrote: »
    That's incredibly damning. You need a team of people to administer one jab every 15 minute. The lack of ambition is astounding.

To put this in perspective. At work we get the flu jab each year. One nurse from a private company administers the whole process and still gets through 1 person each 10 minute for a whole day.

But here in the middle of a pandemic, that is costing lives and livelihoods each day it drags out, we are meant to accept a "team of people" administering the vaccine and a snails pace.

First of all it is the most vulnerable and most essential people being vaccinated first, so the precautions needed to ensure there is no risk of the vaccinators either transmitting or catching covid from the nursing home residents and medical staff is paramount.

When the Occ health nurse gave you all your flu jab did she need to change into fresh head to toe PPE between each of ye? Or did she just put on new gloves? Ya I thought so.

Also how did the vaccine get transported? Was it just at room temperature in a vial in her case? It wasn’t stored in a special temperature controlled package until right up to the point of administration?

Lastly the speed (or lack thereof) is because Ireland only has one approved vaccine under the EU and this is as fast as we can deploy what is available to us. If they did get the vaccinators to work quicker, all night and weekend, we would have more people with jab one by now, but we’d have burned through our January supply within a week or whatever, and what’s the point in doing that, introducing additional risk, when by the last week of January the same number of people will be vaccinated, at a much higher cost with potential additional risk.

The HSE, NPHET and the government have made some bizarre calls that even to our amateur eyes deserve scrutiny and complaint, but I can’t fathom how the vaccination program is one of them.

Yet another vaccine thread when there already is one.

When the Occ health nurse gave you all your flu jab did she need to change into fresh head to toe PPE between each of ye? Or did she just put on new gloves? Ya I thought so.

She administered the vaccine in October in the middle of a pandemic, just like the new vaccine will have to be administered. So you can discount all those excuses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Not sure if it's ambition or abject incompetence. Anyone who saw yesterdays NPHET"s press conference must have come away with a feeling of WTF was that.

An IT system that can't cope with reporting, THE HSE Clinical lead saying 15 hospitals getting vaccine next week but was unable to name these hospitals.

Meehole and Leaky Leo earlier claiming its the the new strain that's to blame for the current surge, Houlihan diplomatically & correctly disagreeing.

Paul "spoofer" Reid on morning Ireland now and sounds like he's just lost, spouting out the usual nonsense.

Maybe I'm wrong but it's looking like Government messed up ignoring previous advice and the health system or perhaps those managing it, falling apart.

I'm not at all confident of a smooth and efficient vaccine role out

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement