Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

• Registered Users Posts: 21,311 ✭✭✭✭Water John

EU price list leaked by Belgian Minister;
    This is the list of what the EU is paying:

Oxford/AstraZeneca: €1.78 (£1.61).
    Johnson & Johnson: $8.50 (£6.30).
    Sanofi/GSK: €7.56.
    Pfizer/BioNTech: €12.
    CureVac: €10.
    Moderna: $18.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,241 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree on the 1m target. Actually, it's the last four groups that make up the bulk of the population, about 3.5m of them in total.

Depends really what way they end up going. Theres a hell of alot that based on their occupation could be bumped up the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

OH got tested yesterday at 9.30 and still no results.symptoms are gone so prob a cold but still. Thought this was super efficient?

Oxford providing final data to MHRA tomorrow too, I know these things shouldn't be political but given the events in the UK in recent days I wouldn't be too surprised if they try and push approval through by Christmas day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

never_mind wrote: »
    OH got tested yesterday at 9.30 and still no results.symptoms are gone so prob a cold but still. Thought this was super efficient?

we waited 2 days for a result for our little lad two weeks ago.toughest 3 days ive had in the house throughout the whole lockdown, he was a rapid dog climbing the walls. Thankfully given the all clear at 9.30 and i dragged him back to the school to let him "run free"

we waited 2 days for a result for our little lad two weeks ago.toughest 3 days ive had in the house throughout the whole lockdown, he was a rapid dog climbing the walls. Thankfully given the all clear at 9.30 and i dragged him back to the school to let him "run free"

You were waiting two or three days? I’m very stressed over it as I’d be a close contact then abd my Xmas might be f’ed..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Water John wrote: »
    EU price list leaked by Belgian Minister;
    This is the list of what the EU is paying:

Oxford/AstraZeneca: €1.78 (£1.61).
    Johnson & Johnson: $8.50 (£6.30).
    Sanofi/GSK: €7.56.
    Pfizer/BioNTech: €12.
    CureVac: €10.
    Moderna: $18.
    Yeah, these prices have been hinted at for a good while so it was no great shock when she revealed them.

You were waiting two or three days? I’m very stressed over it as I’d be a close contact then abd my Xmas might be f’ed..

yeah, it annoyed us no end.

We rang the doctor at 8.30 on the Monday morning, didnt get a repky until 4p,, even though we kept ringing back.

The test was 10am Tuesday morning, at 9am Thursday morning we still didnt hear anything back so we rang some helpline, they said just wait, within 30 minutes we got the text saying he was negative.

Friends of ours had their children tested and all got the results back within 2 hours so i was expected one day, like yourself

yeah, it annoyed us no end.

We rang the doctor at 8.30 on the Monday morning, didnt get a repky until 4p,, even though we kept ringing back.

The test was 10am Tuesday morning, at 9am Thursday morning we still didnt hear anything back so we rang some helpline, they said just wait, within 30 minutes we got the text saying he was negative.

Friends of ours had their children tested and all got the results back within 2 hours so i was expected one day, like yourself

We’ll call tomorrow if it’s still radio silence!!! Thanks a mil for that x

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 55 ✭✭braychelsea

Novavax expected to report results January as well. By March there is a strong possibility we could have 5 vaccines. Provided government are capable of ramping up rollout we could have the majority of the population vaccinated by summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Doc07

nommm wrote: »
    Will the EMA meeting tomorrow be streamed like the FDA meetings?

On JnJ, I think February is the earliest we get it as vaccine needs 2 months of safety data and they only finished enrolling recently.

The scientific committee meeting won’t be steamed live. The EMa will host a press conference at 3 (2 Irish times) ans announce the verdict then.
    The FDA didn’t live steak their own internal meeting , it was actually a meeting of their vaccine advisory committee who give their independent expert recommendation to the FDA (who usually come to same conclusion)
    The EMA will publish very quickly on their website ,maybe Tuesday or Wednesday a detailed summary of the evidence they assessed and why they approved it (assuming it’s approved tomorrow)
    They will also publish the plan for all the close
    Monitoring and additional studies to make sure the vaccine remains to have a positive benefit risk it is rolled out.
    They have already published a summary of the special studies in children which will be carried out to see if it’s also effective and safe in children.

I'm not up to speed on the current state of play for the EU response to the vaccines; but you wouldn't think they push up the date seeing as there is this new variant and looming hard lockdown?

Novavax expected to report results January as well. By March there is a strong possibility we could have 5 vaccines. Provided government are capable of ramping up rollout we could have the majority of the population vaccinated by summer.

I think there were 3 vaccines expected earlier, to be followed by 5 more, a total of 8 in the Spring/Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I'm not up to speed on the current state of play for the EU response to the vaccines; but you wouldn't think they push up the date seeing as there is this new variant and looming hard lockdown?

Pfizer will be approved tommorow for EU.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 55 ✭✭braychelsea

Water John wrote: »
    I think there were 3 vaccines expected earlier, to be followed by 5 more, a total of 8 in the Spring/Summer.

Think that might include Chinese and Russian vaccines? I was just referring to vaccines which we have deals with. Great news regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

nommm wrote: »

I’ll try find a link for this tomorrow before its on and post it in here

Think that might include Chinese and Russian vaccines? I was just referring to vaccines which we have deals with. Great news regardless.

I don't think so, but accept your possibly correct.

These are six listed previously;
    Oxford/AstraZeneca: 1st Gen
    Johnson & Johnson: 2nd Gen
    Sanofi/GSK: 2nd Gen
    Pfizer/BioNTech: 1st Gen
    CureVac: 2nd Gen
    Moderna: 1st Gen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Not a sign of that in any of the news outlets here. We're being ridden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Russman

Oxford providing final data to MHRA tomorrow too, .

Are they really ? (Not doubting you, just wasn’t aware)
    That’s excellent news if they have their final data ready to go. EMA application can’t be far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,211 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not a sign of that in any of the news outlets here. We're being ridden.

The cavalry (vaccines) are on their way but they aren't here yet... gonna have to circle the wagons a while longer.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Would blockades to mainland Europe for shipping have any impact on the manufacture / distribution of the vaccine? For example, according to the Financial Times here, part of the Oxford vaccine is developed in the UK.

Luke O'Neill was just on with pat Kenny and he said the vaccines will definitely still work to the new variant

Also said he'd expect us to have access to 13 million vaccines by quarter 1 of the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Also said he'd expect us to have access to 13 million vaccines by quarter 1 of the new year.

Like on Saturday, he must be referring to the foreseen authorisation of the Oxford vaccine. Good enough but not excellent efficacy, but there is wide availability. Has to happen regardless. Perhaps when the rest of the world is vaccinated many of us can 'top up' with mRNA vaccines next year if they are compatible.

Still not clear if there will be further information on the HD/FD regime, as authorisation forthcoming is for the FD/FD only, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Russman

Like on Saturday, he must be referring to the foreseen authorisation of the Oxford vaccine. Good enough but not excellent efficacy, but there is wide availability. Has to happen regardless. Perhaps when the rest of the world is vaccinated many of us can 'top up' with mRNA vaccines next year if they are compatible.

Still not clear if there will be further information on the HD/FD regime, as authorisation forthcoming is for the FD/FD only, I think.

Is that correct ? I thought I saw an interview a couple of weeks back with Adrian Hill, shortly after the interim results were out, were he said the half dose, full dose would be what they'd be applying for. Open to correction.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Russman wrote: »
    Is that correct ? I thought I saw an interview a couple of weeks back with Adrian Hill, shortly after the interim results were out, were he said the half dose, full dose would be what they'd be applying for. Open to correction.

There's definitely an argument to be made that the sample for hd/fd is too small to rule out statistical errors and that its high efficacy numbers could be down to the small sample size and statistical error.

Its something the ema would have to consider before approval.

Russman wrote: »

Would be up to the EMA at the end of the day.

They could apply with both then its a regulatory decision as to if one or both get approved.

Either way the data will be accepted by EMA for review.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Yes, they will probably consider it in the review but will seek more data. I know the MHRA in the UK are getting new data today so perhaps the EMA too. As it happened Luke O'Neill quoted the 62% figure, so was referring to authorisation for FD/FD for which data are robust. There was also the talk of looking at two different vectors in collab with Sputnik V, but that seems to be just a bit of spin as nothing more about that since.

• Advertisement

Luke O'Neill was just on with pat Kenny and he said the vaccines will definitely still work to the new variant

By the end of March? We won't. If we have a few million doses by then we'll have done really well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement