Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,603 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Israel are doing it faster than anyone. Largely because there are elections at the end of March and Netanyahu wants to have the pandemic done with in time for that.

Ireland's supply is limited because the supply to the EU is limited. Ireland isn't dealing directly with manufacturers, the EU is and Ireland gets its per capita share.

Only the Pfizer vaccine has been approved by the EU thus far (though deals with 5 different manufacturers are done for an initial 1.3 billion doses). Pfizer cannot manufacture infinite doses on a daily basis and won't necessarily be first in line for delivery.

But yeah, Ireland is shít at this vaccination craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Diarmuid wrote: »
    She administered the vaccine in October in the middle of a pandemic, just like the new vaccine will have to be administered. So you can discount all those excuses

Fair enough, but I also assume ye are not frontline healthcare staff or elderly nursing home residents?

The key point I was making is that the only time any of these complaints will be valid is when we are receiving more vaccine than we are deploying. At the moment we are deploying in line with the delivery schedule. If we are receiving hundreds of thousands of doses a month by the summer and it’s all building up in storage somewhere in west Dublin, I’ll join you in complaining. Until then it’s irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Diarmuid wrote: »
    She administered the vaccine in October in the middle of a pandemic, just like the new vaccine will have to be administered. So you can discount all those excuses

So she did change all her PPE gear between each dose?
    And she did transport the vaccine at -70?
    And she did give it to the most vulnerable people who were wheeled into her in trolleys?

No, didn't think so.
    You are equating a souffle with a frozen pizza because they both go in the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

glaston wrote:
    Seriously.. We knew we’ll in advance when the Pfizer vaccine was going to be approved yet we had to wait for consent forms etc. Meanwhile Israel has vaccinated 9% of its population in 2 weeks, 800,000 doses...albeit 1 dose pp. 150,000 vaccinations per day. How have we been so slow?

Total failure yes, but not SURPRISED at all. Ireland in terms of governance is an epitome of clownism and mediocrity.

Irish Gov track record and strategy - Talk BIG, act SMALL, SLOW and MEDIOCRE.

In EU comparison, even with smaller countries (5 to 10M) such as Denmark, Belgium, Austria, Czechia, Finland, Portugal, the announced plan to vaccinate 20,000 people (0.4% of the population) by end of January and then vaccinate 40,000/week (0.8%) seems unambitious.

How come that, say, Czechia (double the population than Ireland) has a plan of 180,000 by end of January (1.7% of the population) - that's 3-4 times more than Ireland's ambition.

I'd say that if the Gov are so afraid of HSE collaspsing (with relatively low case numbers in EU comparison) then they should have negotiated quick and hard with Pfizer and Astra tom deliver MORE and FASTER!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

rock22 wrote:
    This must be one of the most ill informed posts on Boards. The roll out is limited, as it is all over EU, by the supply . We cannot vacciniate without the vaccine you know!
    Wrong. Germany has 1.3M vaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

McGiver wrote: »
    Wrong. Germany has 1.3M vaccinated.

Source for that?

Because 2 days ago it was reported they had less than 80k done and 2 days before that it was at ca. 42k. So I'd love to think it could be ramped up and 1.22m done in 2 days

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Source for that?

Because 2 days ago it was reported they had less than 80k done and 2 days before that it was at ca. 42k. So I'd love to think it could be ramped up and 1.22m done in 2 days

They had vaccinated 131.626 by Thursday morning . Not 1.3 million

Bis Donnerstagmorgen wurden in Deutschland insgesamt 131.626 Impfungen an das Robert Koch-Institut (RKI) gemeldet. Entsprechend der Empfehlungen sind das vor allem Pflegeheimbewohner, Menschen über 80 Jahre und medizinisches Personal.

https://www.tagesschau.de/inland/debatte-impfdosis-101.html

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    They had vaccinated 131.626 by Thursday morning . Not 1.3 million

Bis Donnerstagmorgen wurden in Deutschland insgesamt 131.626 Impfungen an das Robert Koch-Institut (RKI) gemeldet. Entsprechend der Empfehlungen sind das vor allem Pflegeheimbewohner, Menschen über 80 Jahre und medizinisches Personal.

https://www.tagesschau.de/inland/debatte-impfdosis-101.html

I thought that would be the level alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Nermal

rock22 wrote: »
    This must be one of the most ill informed posts on Boards.
    The roll out is limited, as it is all over EU, by the supply . We cannot vacciniate without the vaccine you know!

You're the one who's ill-informed, I'm afraid. Countries were and are free to make additional purchases alongside the EU-level deal. Some did so. We didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

When will things return to normal?

Bloomberg reports here: (paywall)
    - The numbers should start going down by mid-February — first cases, then hospitalizations, then deaths.
    - By early June numbers should be very small.
    - As the vaccine number rise, it’s likely to have a greater-than-linear effect on cases and deaths, for a multiple reasons.
    - Hence, things start to get better from Valentine’s Day with the problem largely gone by June.

WSJ reports here (paywall):
    - Return to "almost normal" will happen sooner than people think.
    - We do not need to reach herd immunity before public spaces can begin phased reopenings.
    - If the vaccine reaches nursing homes and hospital workers quickly, a scenario where hospitalization and death rates plunge seems realistic.
    - Markedly better days likely to arrive by the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

JTMan wrote: »

- The numbers should start going down by mid-February — first cases, then hospitalizations, then deaths.
    - As the vaccine number rise, it’s likely to have a greater-than-linear effect on cases and deaths, for a multiple reasons.
    - Hence, things start to get better from Valentine’s Day with the problem largely gone by June.

- We do not need to reach herd immunity before public spaces can begin phased reopenings.
    - If the vaccine reaches nursing homes and hospital workers quickly, a scenario where hospitalization and death rates plunge seems realistic.

It’s a nice thought , fingers crossed :). My concern is ( due to my work dealing with the public) are ill informed anti vaxxers. I seem to come across more people who don’t want to take it than do want to take it, i find it worrying :rolleyes:

It’s frustrating listening to the bolloxogy from then i literally have to bite my lip to say nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 124 ✭✭Treseemme.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    It’s a nice thought , fingers crossed :). My concern is ( due to my work dealing with the public) are ill informed anti vaxxers. I seem to come across more people who don’t want to take it than do want to take it, i find it concerning :rolleyes:

Hopefully they'll find themselves restricted and then forced to pay for the vaccine later

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

It’s a nice thought , fingers crossed :). My concern is ( due to my work dealing with the public) are ill informed anti vaxxers. I seem to come across more people who don’t want to take it than do want to take it, i find it worrying :rolleyes:

I wish I could find where I read it, but there was a psychological report about the problem of anti-vaxxers. What it stated that there will always be a hardcore group of denialists that will simply not get the vaccine lest it make their dick fall off or whatever. But anti-vaxxers are not a binary group. Many will change their tune once the vaccine rolls out and their worst fears are not realised. Some will change their tune out of fear of being left behind or pier pressure. So what may seem like a large group of anti-vaxxers now will gradually diminish. I’m not trying to downplay the problem of anti-vaccination propaganda. But the numbers of real world non-vaccinated people will always seem greater when it’s just a question of whether or not to get the vaccine against actually getting the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Some posters here are starting as they mean to go on, full of negativity. Christ folks we're less than a week into vaccinations and you'd swear that Stephen Donnelly himself unplugged the freezers to charge his phone or something.

(Yes this is a tone change from me but I flip flop more than a fish out of water so meh)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I’m sort of thinking a significant improvement in the summer and then life as we knew it or as much as that will ever happen, by September

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It's not "unambitious," they are pacing it out in a controlled manner.

TBH, It's a bit of a stretch to aspire to anything Israel achieves. Their sole objective to is protect Israel. It shouldn't come as much of a surprise they've a means to do a mass vaccination program. Considering what they've done with such things before.
    Israel are doing it faster than anyone. Largely because there are elections at the end of March and Netanyahu wants to have the pandemic done with in time for that.

Ireland's supply is limited because the supply to the EU is limited. Ireland isn't dealing directly with manufacturers, the EU is and Ireland gets its per capita share.

Only the Pfizer vaccine has been approved by the EU thus far (though deals with 5 different manufacturers are done for an initial 1.3 billion doses). Pfizer cannot manufacture infinite doses on a daily basis and won't necessarily be first in line for delivery.

But yeah, Ireland is shít at this vaccination craic.

Ireland's major issue is supply, its too early to judge our distribution, I fully accept that.

However these are two really crap reasons to discount what Israel have done. Their sole objective is to protect Israel? Ok great, and our vaccine program should be currently our number 1 priority..

They're doing it because there's an election soon? Genuinely I'm lost for words with that one. I couldn't care less about their motives, they're showing that it can be done. If we had an election in March and managed to end the pandemic in time for it I sure as **** wouldn't be seeing that in a cynical light.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Gael23 wrote: »
    I’m sort of thinking a significant improvement in the summer and then life as we knew it or as much as that will ever happen, by September

Yep, my aim is to go travel and see family again by the autumn, a target.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

A most welcome post to start 2021. Here's to better times ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

You're right, it's not unambitious. The important thing at the start is not the pace, it's getting it stood up right. Get the processes right and increase scale. That's ignoring vaccine availability at the beginning.

Also, there's enough people that are on the fence or unwilling to get this for a multitude of reasons, baseless, uninformed or otherwise. So we must proceed with caution at the beginning and have no hiccups. And the side effect of the volume of these people is that it increases the need for tightness on the admin side. Simply, we need to know who's had this and the people that have had it need to have consented.

It's not realistic to just do 20 people an hour. A team of people will do 4.

4 people vaccinated in an hour?

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    Ireland's major issue is supply, its too early to judge our distribution, I fully accept that.

However these are two really crap reasons to discount what Israel have done. Their sole objective is to protect Israel? Ok great, and our vaccine program should be currently our number 1 priority..

They're doing it because there's an election soon? Genuinely I'm lost for words with that one. I couldn't care less about their motives, they're showing that it can be done. If we had an election in March and managed to end the pandemic in time for it I sure as **** wouldn't be seeing that in a cynical light.

If you don't think it's not a factor, you're very naive.

I never said it makes it less impressive. Just that Netanyahu is definitely pulling out ALL the stops because of it

It’s frustrating listening to the bolloxogy from then i literally have to bite my lip to say nothing.

That's one thing they also tackled in Israel. Big campaign about vaccination to address anti vax. Also had Facebook remove some anti vax groups

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

2000 vaccinations taking place in Cork hospitals alone this weekend.
    https://twitter.com/echolivecork/status/1344950249794666497?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

These articles are always a bit confusing. An additional 2000 doses, additional to what?

Marhay70 wrote: »
    These articles are always a bit confusing. An additional 2000 doses, additional to what?

600 already done. As far as I know there was supposed to be considerably less than 2000 done this weekend, not anymore clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Excellent!! In the morning words of Limp Bizket! Keep on rolling baby!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Marhay70 wrote: »

The 500 they have already done in cork hospitals?

Not sure if anyone posted this but the total vaccination number is approaching 2k.
    https://twitter.com/robohanrahan/status/1344932276128411648?s=21

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    The 500 they have already done in cork hospitals?

Yes
    https://twitter.com/profmaryhorgan/status/1344682962923745283?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Not sure if anyone posted this but the total vaccination number is approaching 2k.
    https://twitter.com/robohanrahan/status/1344932276128411648?s=21

Applying pressure works clearly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement