Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

polesheep wrote: »
    Something very wrong with this given that there are frontline staff in high risk units around the country still waiting. Tell me where the Taoiseach is from again.

What does the taoiseach have to do with vaccine distribution? I know an ICU nurse in the Mercy and she got done first thing yesterday when the rollout started there. It’s up to the HSE to distribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

They actually aren't, or at least shouldn't be...... plenty of frontline still to go. My department for example.

I'm frontline CUH, got mine yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

polesheep wrote: »
    Something very wrong with this given that there are frontline staff in high risk units around the country still waiting. Tell me where the Taoiseach is from again.

I disagree. Its a difficult substance to transport. It makes sense if you're already bringing doses down to Cork to do 12 nurses that you also include the IT guy while you are there.

I'm frontline CUH, got mine yesterday.

Based on what I’ve heard the CUH are handing them out to any employee who wants one, not sure if you can confirm that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Based on what I’ve heard the CUH are handing them out to any employee who wants one, not sure if you can confirm that

What ? Even clerical staff who see no patients ? Surely not ?

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »

They’ve been given an allocation, surely its up to each individual hospital to choose how that allocation is used?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cityboyjim

Like it or not Tony H seems to call it right most of the time .Surely now everything has to shut and I mean full lockdown for a month .Curfew needed after 8 pm .Half arsed lockdowns are breaking the country and not achieving the curve needed to get us through to the Vaccine .
    Then open up everything regionally .Including Bars .Police it properly this time .
    Show the numbers every day .Not just by County .Do it by parish .

If we had something to look forward to we might toe the line this time because up to this we didnt .
    After the month where there are cases we stay locked down .Where it is clear we open all.
    Give people something to look forward to and to work towards .
    Push the Vaccine 24 /7 .Vaccinate by local area from mobile units .Like the mobile Library.3x8 hr shifts . Stability data of -80 drugs allow it to be out for up the four days and still perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Better to give them io clerical staff than have them spoil. It does beg the question though of how allocations are calculated and whether individual hospitals are authorised to use up all the vaccine in a vial, it would be criminal to throw out usable vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,408 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The 6 vaccines in the 5 vial is a 20% variable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

cityboyjim wrote: »
    Like it or not Tony H seems to call it right most of the time .Surely now everything has to shut and I mean full lockdown for a month .Curfew needed after 8 pm .Half arsed lockdowns are breaking the country and not achieving the curve needed to get us through to the Vaccine .
    Then open up everything regionally .Including Bars .Police it properly this time .

If we had something to look forward to we might toe the line this time because up to this we didnt .
    After the month where there are cases we stay locked down .Where it is clear we open all.
    Push the Vaccine 24 /7 .Vaccinate by local area from mobile units .Like the mobile Library.3x8 hr shifts . Stability data of -80 drugs allow it to be out for up the four days and still perfect.

Stop talking boloxogy. Level 5 like last October will do the job, xmas raised the numbers. There’s no need for your mouth foaming cufews or bolts on front doors. The seeds were planted over xmas so even if we had your moronic curfews the numbers will still increase over the next couple of weeks. Give level 5 a chance ffs.

• Advertisement

I know 3 health workers in GUH, one of whom works with Covid patients, other two in non covid areas but patient facing (nurse and a doctor) . None of them have yet got a date for first jab.

Some clinical managers who don't see patients have got the jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

They’ve been given an allocation, surely its up to each individual hospital to choose how that allocation is used?

People who sit in offices in adjacent buildings away from direct contact with patients should absolutely not be prioritised over vulnerable people living in the community who have lost almost 12 months to this virus. Surplus vaccines? Off to the gp surgeries with them and start vaccinating those most at risk on the community. Let the pen pushers of the HSE wait their turn like everyone else.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    People who sit in offices in adjacent buildings away from direct contact with patients should absolutely not be prioritised over vulnerable people living in the community who have lost almost 12 months to this virus. Surplus vaccines? Off to the gp surgeries with them and start vaccinating those most at risk on the community. Let the pen pushers of the HSE wait their turn like everyone else.

You and I both know that’s not going to happen. Pfizer vaccine isn’t for GPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

cityboyjim wrote: »

No, I think whatever measures brought in need to be just enough to keep the reproduction number below 1 so that cases diminish over time. Overly draconian measures lead to backlash, loss of public support, people finding ways around restrictions and ultimately more deaths, both from increased infections and as a result the restrictions themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

If somebody has a concern about taking the vaccine and their employer wants all Staff to have the vaccine, have they a choice ?

Can the employer force them to take the vaccine or face dismissal ?

No, I think whatever measures brought in need to be just enough to keep the reproduction number below 1 so that cases diminish over time. Overly draconian measures lead to backlash, loss of public support, people finding ways around restrictions and ultimately more deaths both from increased infections and the restrictions themselves.

Wrong thread but if we only get the reproductive number to just below 1 now it would mean months of daily cases at above 3000. Which we can't handle. It needs to get to the 0.5 to 0.8 range fairly sharp. We need huge effort from everyone and support for the tough measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Friend of mine is IT in south infirmary, got done today. My father is maintenance in CUH, down for next week. His boss got it last Thursday.

I know of a different group of frontline staff - their boss is on leave till next week so no-one to send in the list of staff to Occ Health. No staff member can do it, has to be management - and if you go behind their managers back, well god help you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Azatadine wrote: »
    Yeah, it was me that asked. I just think the antibody treatments sound like a fantastic band aid to get us through this period where we are not vaccinated. Seems to be very little about them over here though. REG Cov2 is the Regeneron one.

I would guess that supply would be somewhat limited and I'm not sure if its too late to use them when you are already sick enough to require hospitalisation?

I know that I'd take a shot of it if I felt that I had Covid early stages.

Might it be this that I posted?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/25/uk-scientists-trial-drug-to-prevent-coronavirus-infection-leading-to-disease

Thanks for that Speckle.
    Hard to know how much limitations need to be put in place. The statisticians would have good modelling at this point. But I think mostly we individually must take personal responsibility and actions over the next two months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I know front line nursing staff in cuh who are waiting to be called for their shot.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Wrong thread but if we only get the reproductive number to just below 1 now it would mean months of daily cases at above 3000. Which we can't handle. It needs to get to the 0.5 to 0.8 range fairly sharp. We need huge effort from everyone and support for the tough measures.

In the context of the vaccine programme, i think what Leo was alluding to last week was that they were considering sustained restrictions equivalent of R=1.0, with vacine rollout doing the rest of the work in getting cases/hospitalizations down.

That off course in acknowledgement there would be some post xmas spike to get over, christ (some spike it is). But by the time we are into actual impactful progress on vacines (ie when Astra Zeneca finally gets approved) the case numbers will hopefully be back to manageable levels as a baseline.

Problem is the "Granny got jabbed, so f*&k yis" brigade are going to be detriment to any restrictions imposed, as mass rollout of over 70s gets going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

exador wrote: »
    If somebody has a concern about taking the vaccine and their employer wants all Staff to have the vaccine, have they a choice ?

Maybe, they might find that they are working in the wrong place, a bit like how this post is in the wrong thread.

I know front line nursing staff in cuh who are waiting to be called for their shot.:(

Front line staff were given a date in CUH a number of days before they got their shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

This is just nuts. The UK is going to allow the mix and match of Covid vaccines.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/01/health/coronavirus-vaccines-britain.html

That's their managers fault unfortunately. Line managers were told to take bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

exador wrote: »

No, nobody has any authority to force another person to get the vaccine.

Maybe, they might find that they are working in the wrong place, a bit like how this post is in the wrong thread.

Thought this was a COVID 19 Vaccine thread ?

It was a genuine question

Gael23 wrote: »
    No, nobody has any authority to force another person to get the vaccine.

Thank you ..It's not for me but somebody who is genuinely concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Absolutely disgusting if clerical staff and IT staff getting it before frontline staff . It should not be happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

Absolutely disgusting if clerical staff and IT staff getting it before frontline staff . It should not be happening

A lot of clerical staff are front line....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement