Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Minier81 wrote: »
    A lot of clerical staff are front line....

A lot are not

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Absolutely disgusting if clerical staff and IT staff getting it before frontline staff . It should not be happening

If its the case that slots were not booked by managers and doses are given to staff in hospital to prevent wastage i think that's OK tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Tork

Stheno wrote: »
    If its the case that slots were not booked by managers and doses are given to staff in hospital to prevent wastage i think that's OK tbh

Yeah, we'd need to know the full facts before throwing stones.

I dont . There are vulnerable people in the community who should be done first
    I blame the managers then or whoever is in charge of vaccine amounts for the hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I blame the managers then or whoever is in charge of vaccine amounts for the hospital
    that's not the plan though? the plan is for healthcare workers to go first

• Advertisement

IT staff and clerical workers are not healthcare workers . I absolutely hate inefficiency and shoddy allocatiions
    Fair is fair and in my opinion that simply is not good enough. It angers me that other nurses and frontline can wait while background clerical staff are offered it because someone messed up with amounts given or ordered

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Look at another way firstly there aren't just managers that are "customer facing" there's the lab staff secondly the managers aren't working alone in the office (might be working from home don't know?). In both cases one person with Covid could potentially cut a third of the testing (3 shifts?) or take out an entire section of office staff. Hows that going to help the Hospital treat people?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

IT staff and clerical workers are not healthcare workers . I absolutely hate inefficiency and shodding allocatiions
    Fair is fair and in my opinion that simply is not good enough

Afaik IT staff would be all over the hospital including in and out of wards, so they'd be a transmission risk

And wouldn't the admins who run outpatients and sort out appointments etc be included as clerical workers?

Afaik IT staff would be all over the hospital including in and out of wards, so they'd be a transmission risk

And wouldn't the admins who run outpatients and sort out appointments etc be included as clerical workers?

Yes admittedly but also many clerical staff in Human Resources , in finance , in salaries who never see a ward from ine end of a year to another
    It needs to be clarified who got the doses to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

IT staff and clerical workers are not healthcare workers . I absolutely hate inefficiency and shodding allocatiions
    Fair is fair and in my opinion that simply is not good enough. It angers me that other nurses and frontline can wait while background clerical staff are offered it because someone messed up with amounts given or ordered

You have to take into consideration the fact that you can't just stick this vaccine in your pocket and transport it where you think it's needed most, logistics has always been the fly in the ointment.

• Advertisement

Marhay70 wrote: »
    You have to take into consideration the fact that you can't just stick this vaccine in your pocket and transport it where you think it's needed most, logistics has always been the fly in the ointment.

I know . I then would blame whoever is in charge of the allocation

Frontline. Other healthcare workers not in direct patient contact were meant to be group 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I know . I then would blame whoever is in charge of the allocation

Yes, that's what I said earlier on and questioned whether there were just more doses than they were expecting, with the overfill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Any update on Oxford approval and rollout in the EU?

We need this now more than ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

IT staff and clerical workers are not healthcare workers . I absolutely hate inefficiency and shoddy allocatiions

If they are in a hospital they are there because the hospital needs them to function and they are in a site with covid positive people and people at the highest risk levels , of course they should be vaccinated without delay.

In anything like this it is to be expected that some higher priority people will come behind some slightly lower priority people. What is important that the roll out is quick and efficient. It's not like some boss's wife got vaccine first or something.

Everyone who works for the HSE is a healthcare worker whether you agree or not it is what it is

Frontline. Other healthcare workers not in direct patient contact were meant to be group 4.
    And the fact they're being done now means group 5 moves up a position.

And the fact they're being done now means group 5 moves up a position.

Bonkers logic, what it actually means is someone in group 3 is further down the queue.

skimpydoo wrote: »
    This is just nuts. The UK is going to allow the mix and match of Covid vaccines.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/01/health/coronavirus-vaccines-britain.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/02/england-health-officials-defend-contingency-plan-to-mix-covid-vaccines

The “green book” states: “If the course is interrupted or delayed, it should be resumed using the same vaccine but the first dose should not be repeated. There is no evidence on the interchangeability of the Covid-19 vaccines although studies are under way. Therefore, every effort should be made to determine which vaccine the individual received and to complete with the same vaccine.

Advertisement

“For individuals who started the schedule and who attend for vaccination at a site where the same vaccine is not available, or if the first product received is unknown, it is reasonable to offer one dose of the locally available product to complete the schedule. This option is preferred if the individual is likely to be at immediate high risk or is considered unlikely to attend again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,845 ✭✭✭billyhead

Here's the solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Out of interest - How do we know that this group of people in CUH are being vaccinated outside of their group allocation as a result of an error in ordered volumes / allocation?

Bonkers logic, what it actually means is someone in group 3 is further down the queue.
    No it doesn't. Group 1's allocation has been sent to hospitals. They've managed to use that to do some of Group 4 too. How is that hard to understand?

Miike wrote: »
    Out of interest - How do we know that this group of people in CUH are being vaccinated outside of their group allocation as a result of an error in ordered volumes / allocation?
    People are making blind assumptions and freaking out for no reason.

People are making blind assumptions and freaking out for no reason.

You are one of the people that has confirmed it has gone to non frontline staff?

You are one of the people that has confirmed it has gone to non frontline staff?
    When did I say it was because of an error that the poster mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,409 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It seems CUH had a 550 order. They dosed around 600 with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Absolutely disgusting if clerical staff and IT staff getting it before frontline staff . It should not be happening
    There's probably a fairly high degree of immunity through contracting the virus in frontline staff so they may not be the main priority in hospitals.

Everyone who works for the HSE is a healthcare worker whether you agree or not it is what it is

They are not all frontline and therefore not meant to have the vaccine in this group. We both know that not all healthcare workers are frontline staff
    I don’t know how anyone can justify it
    The groups were fairly put in order of need and giving the vaccine to people not entitled to it in this roll out will cause absolute mayhem if allowed to continue
    If its not seen to be done fairly there will be questioned asked . Maybe the managers brother could be offered one if there are some left over .Or possibly the wife of the consultant ?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

So latest report ove seen is 1800 vaccines given out.

Utterly shambolic. Its almost two weeks since theyce gotten first 20k so they should have at least 40k by now.

I personally know 2 frontline workers, 1 of which has direct contact in a ID ward and theyve been told sometime next week!

Wtf is happenening!

Donnelly saying that it will be the end of the month before care homes get their first jab! Just there first jab. What a disgrace!

Theyve had at least 3 solid months planning since they vaccine where announced. Israel has already passed 10% vaccination.

• Advertisement

There's probably a fairly high degree of immunity through contracting the virus in frontline staff so they may not be the main priority in hospitals.

Think a study in Tallaght showed about 20% had antibodies compared to about 12% who had tested positive

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement