Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Stheno wrote: »
    Think a study in Tallaght showed about 20% had antibodies compared to about 12% who had tested positive
    However antibodies are not a great indicator of who has had the virus as they don't last very long. The actual number is likely to be higher than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭obi604

Silly question time:

If you already had COVID and recovered, can you get it a second time?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

obi604 wrote: »
    Silly question time:

If you already had COVID and recovered, can you get it a second time?

Not a silly question and yes you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

flynnlives wrote: »
    So latest report I've seen is 1800 vaccines given out.

Only 1800 vaccines given out in the ROI so far?! :mad:

Please tell me this is a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭obi604

Water John wrote: »
    Not a silly question and yes you can.

So anyone that has had it will still be advised to get the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Donnelly saying that it will be the end of the month before care homes get their first jab! Just there first jab. What a disgrace!

I'm no fan of Donnelly, but to be fair that's not what he said. He said all nursing home residents and staff should receive their first dose by the end of the month; not that it would be the end of the the month before vaccinations commence.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/all-nursing-home-residents-staff-should-get-first-vaccine-dose-by-end-of-month-1.4449080

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Stark wrote: »

Not sure we can use that as a reliable source tbh

There'll be a serious lag between who is vaccinated and when it's published and then this site picks it up eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    They are not all frontline and therefore not meant to have the vaccine in this group. We both know that not all healthcare workers are frontline staff
    I don’t know how anyone can justify it
    The groups were fairly put in order of need and giving the vaccine to people not entitled to it in this roll out will cause absolute mayhem if allowed to continue
    If somewhere gets a batch of vaccines for HCWs and has a handful left over, they're not going to spend time trying to find vulnerable people and asking them to come into the hospital. Just give them to other people working in the hospital and get back to work.

It's been the same elsewhere in the world, there has to be some practical realities. The various categories of people I assume will be called in to get a shot when supply is widely available for that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

ShineOn7 wrote: »

There'll be a serious lag between who is vaccinated and when it's published and then this site picks it up eventually
    Yeah that's just a 3rd party site by the looks of it. Donnelly said updated figures will be added to the covid dashboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭jcon1913

So latest report ove seen is 1800 vaccines given out.

Utterly shambolic. Its almost two weeks since theyce gotten first 20k so they should have at least 40k by now.

I personally know 2 frontline workers, 1 of which has direct contact in a ID ward and theyve been told sometime next week!

Wtf is happenening!

Donnelly saying that it will be the end of the month before care homes get their first jab! Just there first jab. What a disgrace!

Theyve had at least 3 solid months planning since they vaccine where announced. Israel has already passed 10% vaccination.

I agree- HSE and all the rest- this is an emergency- get off your backsides before you lose the support of the public. You need to roll out this vaccine- Israel is the example you need to follow not your own dysfunctional level of crap performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

obi604 wrote: »

So anyone that has had it will still be advised to get the vaccine.
    Though possibly not with the same level of urgency.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

ShineOn7 wrote: »

You're not the most reliable source yourself Shine. Yesterday you claimed 5% of all positive Covid cases are hospitalised. You were asked for evidence on that?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Though possibly not with the same level of urgency.

If the group they belong to is the current vaccination target, any person who has had COVID19 in the past will be advised to receive their vaccine at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

So latest report ove seen is 1800 vaccines given out.

Utterly shambolic. Its almost two weeks since theyce gotten first 20k so they should have at least 40k by now.

I personally know 2 frontline workers, 1 of which has direct contact in a ID ward and theyve been told sometime next week!

Wtf is happenening!

Theyve had at least 3 solid months planning since they vaccine where announced. Israel has already passed 10% vaccination.

I’m all for dishing the vaccine out ASAP but it is 1 week to the day since the first batch arrived, not almost 2.

You're not the most reliable source yourself Shine. Yesterday you claimed 5% of all positive Covid cases are hospitalised. You were asked for evidence on that?

Certainly in the first infection phase, 1 in 20 were hospitalised, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Aragh stop, we had no idea how many had Covid in the early months. Not a clue. Our testing system is still inadequate.
    5% is a nonsense.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

The criteria for getting a test back then were so strict it's safe to assume that most cases were missed. So that figure is not very accurate.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It was lower in Oct/Nov

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I’m all for dishing the vaccine out ASAP but it is 1 week to the day since the first batch arrived, not almost 2.

Ok, but still they got 20k vaccines and only giving out 1800 is a failure.
    An utter failure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

An utter failure.

I agree but I imagine more have been given out but reporting is delayed.

Many Covid positives in nursing homes were never hospitalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,781 ✭✭✭hynesie08

An utter failure.

They didn't get 20k last week, it was less than ten.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Solar2021

Gael23 wrote: »
    No, nobody has any authority to force another person to get the vaccine.

Would be nice if true

Any proof of that?

What's stopping private multinationals here of having a policy of vaccinated only on site?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Who changes the lightbulbs in the ICUs? The nurses? Cop on a tad.

Is there a reason why you need to be rude to try to win an argument . I have my opinion , you have yours . I made my point but all you can do is is answer with sarcasm ?
    It is not the first time you resort to it when a point is made that you do not like
    Non frontline healthcare workers are quite simply not in group 1 . I did not make the groups it was decided by a task force

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Is there a reason why you need to be rude to try to win an argument . I have my opinion , you have yours . I made my point but all you can do is is answer with sarcasm ?
    Sometime the argument is so ridiculous that sarcasm is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Sometime the argument is so ridiculous that sarcasm is necessary.

Oh it’s actually usually just a cop out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,870 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

what happens if you get a vaccine while already sick (but unsympathetic)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Panrich

what happens if you get a vaccine while already sick (but unsympathetic)

You wouldn’t care in that scenario by the looks of things

• Advertisement

Many who are asymptomatic will undoubtedly get vaccinated, doesn't matter. You're immune system will be prompted into action by two sources.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement