Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

hmmm wrote: »
    If somewhere gets a batch of vaccines for HCWs and has a handful left over, they're not going to spend time trying to find vulnerable people and asking them to come into the hospital. Just give them to other people working in the hospital and get back to work.

It's been the same elsewhere in the world, there has to be some practical realities. The various categories of people I assume will be called in to get a shot when supply is widely available for that category.

That is a fair point and I understand that
    My point is that if its the case of a handful left over that the allocation of the few is open to question . We all know how things work in high places and it could be seen by the public as very unfair
    I get your point and thank you for having a conversation but my worry is who gets the few left over and how is that decided
    And I doubt that CUH would have to wander the streets looking for vulnerable people , they have wards full of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Solar2021 wrote: »
    Would be nice if true

Any proof of that?

What's stopping private multinationals here of having a policy of vaccinated only on site?

Would be an interesting question to post in the legal forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Just listening to Newstalk. Suggestion to roll out single injection for everyone possible. Not going according by instructions, such as Pfizer vaccine: 3 weeks apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Solar2021

Miike wrote: »
    Would be an interesting question to post in the legal forum.

Thank you

Did that now

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Stheno wrote: »

And a former peer tole me they worked in a hospital and bought parts for the mainframe on ebay as it was so old

Still unsure if they were taking the piss

That happens in thousands of billion dollar companies every day...

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    IT staff and clerical workers are not healthcare workers . I absolutely hate inefficiency and shoddy allocatiions
    Fair is fair and in my opinion that simply is not good enough. It angers me that other nurses and frontline can wait while background clerical staff are offered it because someone messed up with amounts given or ordered

It's fast more efficient to vaccinate all employees in a hospital rather than bounce around to multiple locations to prioritise more at risk people.

So do you want efficient or prioritized rollout or just a rant?

I know . I then would blame whoever is in charge of the allocation

You can't just move the allocations, your need to move the people who are administering them also to have any impact, and that would negatively impact the first location so you are back to square one.

That is a fair point and I understand that
    My point is that if its the case of a handful left over that the allocation of the few is open to question . We all know how things work in high places and it could be seen by the public as very unfair
    I get your point and thank you for having a conversation but my worry is who gets the few left over and how is that decided
    And I doubt that CUH would have to wander the streets looking for vulnerable people , they have wards full of them

Why is it your worry?
    After all group 1 are done they are giving them to other groups who are in the physical location.

I don't think you would ever be satisfied tbh.

Wife and I tested negative today.
    24 hours from making the call to getting results.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0102/1187353-coronavirus-vaccine/

Good positive news today . Delighted to see the residents and staff of care homes will soon get the vaccine .I hope it all goes well for them

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »

Gald to hear that its a relief I am sure . Waiting for a test for a family member today ) done at 1pm yesterday) but am almost sure it will be positive . Another 10 days of isolation looming but we will cope and manage .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

How long are people waiting for tests now?

I was asked in a txt from the DFA to get a free test when I returned to Ireland just before Christmas and phoned the Doctors surgery to get a test on the 30th (Dec) and a doctor called me back and took my details a few hours later. Now its the 3rd of January and I've heard nothing back - 4 days.

I did say I had no mobile coverage at my home address where I was isolating so they took both a landline and mobile number and I've been out a couple of times each day and walked up the road to check for any texts but nothing.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Water John wrote: »
    Certainly in the first infection phase, 1 in 20 were hospitalised, AFAIK.

the true level of infection in the first second and third is not know, in fact the HSE study during the summer showed up that the true level of infection was 3 times higher,

so any % of hospilitasion has to be taken off the true infectin level,

https://www.ucd.ie/newsandopinion/news/2020/august/21/ucdnvrlstudyfindscovid-19infectionrateinirelandthreetimeshigherthandetectedcases/

I was asked in a txt from the DFA to get a free test when I returned to Ireland just before Christmas and phoned the Doctors surgery to get a test on the 30th (Dec) and a doctor called me back and took my details a few hours later. Now its the 3rd of January and I've heard nothing back - 4 days.

I did say I had no mobile coverage at my home address where I was isolating so they took both a landline and mobile number and I've been out a couple of times each day and walked up the road to check for any texts but nothing.

I think they are prioritising those with symptoms now . Member of family rang GP ( with symptoms ) at 9am yesterday and had test at 1pm

I think they are prioritising those with symptoms now . Member of family rang GP ( with symptoms ) at 9am yesterday and had test at 1pm

I certainly didn't have any symptoms when I called but now I'm like I'm not so sure :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

At least in terms of your area, it seems the system is not as over run as some people claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Sorry if it’s been discussed before, this is my first post (and visit) in this thread, but I’ve a question regarding the vaccine. I’ll preface that I know nothing about vaccines other than I get the flu vaccine every year.

My question is, vaccines don’t prevent anyone catching the bug, they merely stop one from getting sick correct? If so, in theory, it would be possible to get vaccinated, then subsequently test positive via PCR yes? However, as you’d have had the vaccine there is no risk in getting sick! (or by virtue of the fact you’ve had the vaccine means you’d certainly test positive considering a vaccine is a minor dose in itself?!?)

If this is true, does that not then mean as it stands, 8 out of 10 people who are currently testing positive are already showing the same effect the vaccine is supposed to provide... in that they are not getting sick?? Or is this way off the scale of misunderstanding the vaccine?

Also, with a current positive rate of over 20% or 1 in 5! Would it reasonable to assume that with so many people currently infected, both knowingly and unknowingly that natural immunity may very well be reached long before any vaccine could cover the same amount of people?

Again, I know nothing on this topic and was just musing to myself this morning about it!

I got two appointments in Dublin within 2 hours of calling

At least in terms of your area, it seems the system is not as over run as some people claim.

Well that's one test centre in the capital...
    Even though it wasn't overrun, there was a constant stream of tests taking place, must be hundreds per day from that centre alone

I got two appointments in Dublin within 2 hours of calling

My nearest testing center is Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

My question is, vaccines don’t prevent anyone catching the bug, they merely stop one from getting sick correct? If so, in theory, it would be possible to get vaccinated, then subsequently test positive via PCR yes? However, as you’d have had the vaccine there is no risk in getting sick! (or by virtue of the fact you’ve had the vaccine means you’d certainly test positive considering a vaccine is a minor dose in itself?!?)
    We don't know yet the impact vaccines will have on infection, but it's likely they will reduce spread. The point of the vaccine is that even if you catch the virus you are less likely to get seriously ill.
    If this is true, does that not then mean as it stands, 8 out of 10 people who are currently testing positive are already showing the same effect the vaccine is supposed to provide... in that they are not getting sick?? Or is this way off the scale of misunderstanding the vaccine?
    Yes, however the vaccine will protect the 2 out 10 who are getting sick (using your figures). There's also a group of people who will not be able to take a vaccine (or it doesn't work on them), and they are reliant on everyone helping to reduce spread. A vaccine should also provide stronger protection than a mild infection, and getting the virus is a big gamble on your health/genes.
    Also, with a current positive rate of over 20% or 1 in 5! Would it reasonable to assume that with so many people currently infected, both knowingly and unknowingly that natural immunity may very well be reached long before any vaccine could cover the same amount of people?
    Even with thousands of infections a day, it's still only a small amount of our population who have the virus - and that small percentage are still threatening to overwhelm the hospitals. We're a long way from herd immunity.

Manaus in Brazil (city of 2 million people) was thought to be close to herd immunity as there was an estimate that 70% of the population had gotten the virus. Unfortunately reports in recent days shows a large numbers of deaths in this wave for them, so even with a large-scale infection they still have a lot of vulnerable people. I'm not a fan of the word "natural immunity" - a vaccine is also "natural immunity", but instead of having to gamble your health on the entire virus the vaccine is training your body to recognise just one small part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭jack747

I got tested at the aviva at 10 this morning . Anyone know if there would be any chance I could get the result by tonight? I imagine it would be tomorrow or Tuesday.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

jack747 wrote: »
    I got tested at the aviva at 10 this morning . Anyone know if there would be any chance I could get the result by tonight? I imagine it would be tomorrow or Tuesday.

Probably tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

hmmm wrote: »

Thanks! I get you with the “natural immunity” phrase.... but I wanted to avoid the dreaded h**d immunity word! So in theory, I wasn’t far wrong with how a vaccine is designed to work per se.

Just got a call there now (Sunday afternoon) on the landline, but after checking I still needed a test, the caller had to find me an appointment which they had to call back after finding on 9PM tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Moderna is due to be approved on the 6th by the EU, does anyone know how many of those Ireland ordered?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Vicxas wrote: »
    Moderna is due to be approved on the 6th by the EU, does anyone know how many of those Ireland ordered?

2x 880k

Stheno wrote: »
    2x 880k

For now or in total ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 124 ✭✭Treseemme.

How is the vaccination program going

We seem to be in limp mode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I see the Indo has a photo of Colm Henry getting his vaccination and it is given by a consultant microbiologist no less. Is Henry a "frontline health worker" who sees patients? If not then he should be down the priority list. Or are we still in a situation where the list is a "living document" i.e. can be ignored when it suits.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/hospitals-now-expect-3000-admissions-by-end-of-month-39924796.html

Priority list
    1 People aged 65 years and older who are residents of long-term care facilities (likely to include all staff and residents on site)
    2 Frontline healthcare workers
    3 People aged 70 and older
    4 Other healthcare workers not in direct patient contact

Contrast that with the UK where Van Tam clearly stated that he wouldn't be at the top of the queue for the vaccine so wouldn't take it until his turn.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-54903298

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement