Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    For now or in total ?

In total iirc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I see the Indo has a photo of Colm Henry getting his vaccination and it is given by a consultant microbiologist no less. Is Henry a "frontline health worker" who sees patients? If not then he should be down the priority list. Or are we still in a situation where the list is a "living document" i.e. can be ignored when it suits.

Contrast that with the UK where Van Tam clearly stated that he wouldn't be at the top of the queue for the vaccine so wouldn't take it until his turn.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-54903298

That picture really pissed me off to an irrational degree

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Stheno wrote: »
    In total iirc

Seems very little . ?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

2x 880k

And how many have ireland ordered of the Oxford?

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Seems very little . ?

The EU ordered a small amount of it

By contrast our Oxford allocation is in excess of four million

Also with Moderna I think the US might put constraints in place exporting it as they funded some of the research

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Russman

That picture really pissed me off to an irrational degree

Yep, the only justification for it is if it’s to convince reluctant staff (or Joe Public) to take it. Bad optics though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Good to see Ireland are looking at split dose vaccination. That's giving two shots 12 weeks apart. MacCraith has asked Nphet to examine the issue.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Also with Moderna I think the US might put constraints in place exporting it as they funded some of the research

The EU Moderna order has its own European supply chain separate to the US one. Moderna are working exclusively with contract manufacturers (I believe Lonza is their main one).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Water John wrote: »
    Good to see Ireland are looking at split dose vaccination. That's giving two shots 12 weeks apart. MacCraith has asked Nphet to examine the issue.

It has been tested with Oxford, but not the Pfizer one. I think the UK are taking a big risk by doing it. When they announced they were starting, Pfizer themselves said it was not tested and not to do it. The UK ignored them.

I hope we don't do the same. Or at least give Healthcare Staff the 3 week gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Treseemme. wrote: »
    How is the vaccination program going

We seem to be in limp mode

70,000 staff and residents of 580 nursing homes to be done in Jan and Feb.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0102/1187353-coronavirus-vaccine/

So in this phase, the rate is 35,000 people per month, it seems.

So at this rate it would take 100 months to do 3.5m people.

The rate will be increased, though.

It seems that the output would need to be x10 to meet what people expect??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Has not been tested with Pfizer, its a risk tbh.

It is being looked at by the EMA but I can't see them going against the trial data from Pfizer. Pfizer weren't happy that the UK were doing it

You'd essentially be running another trial which could be costly if it goes wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Solar2021

We backed the wrong horse big time with Oxford

We might as well write off Oxford and get on the phone to Moderna for more supply

Wouldn't be surprised if the EMA disapprove at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

It has been tested with Oxford, but not the Pfizer one. I think the UK are taking a big risk by doing it. When they announced they were starting, Pfizer themselves said it was not tested and not to do it. The UK ignored them.

I hope we don't do the same. Or at least give Healthcare Staff the 3 week gap.

I think we would need to get consent from each individual before vaccination as this would be an experimental vaccine if done that way.

Solar2021 wrote: »
    We backed the wrong horse big time with Oxford

We might as well write off Oxford and get on the phone to Moderna for more supply

Wouldn't be surprised if the EMA disapprove at this stage

Why should it be wrote off ?

Its safe & effective. No doubt it will be approved once they supply the required data on quality and production & paperwork required to apply for conditional marketing authorisation

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Geuze wrote: »
    70,000 staff and residents of 580 nursing homes to be done in Jan and Feb.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0102/1187353-coronavirus-vaccine/

So in this phase, the rate is 35,000 people per month, it seems.

So at this rate it would take 100 months to do 3.5m people.

The rate will be increased, though.

It seems that the output would need to be x10 to meet what people expect??

Of course you are giving false information. 70,000 in nursing homes will be done in January and February along with other vaccinations which have not been specified in thtt article.

If you want to criticise the government please do but give accurate information instead of spreading partial news reports and assuming it is everything.

Why ?

Its safe & effective. No doubt it will be approved once they supply the required data on quality and production & paperwork.

It will be safe and effective for sure, but the trial has been a disaster data wise

EMA will follow the FDA and get them to apply again imo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What vaccine are Israel using?
    How much of the vaccines(s) have they secured?
    What process are they using to vaccinate there population that is putting them top of the pile compared to the rest of the world?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Aside from the fact there's no good reason not to write off Oxford, you can't just get on the phone and tell Moderna to deliver more like that. They're a smaller manufacturer and won't be able to meet full demand. We need multiple sources, including Oxford.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 124 ✭✭Treseemme.

tom1ie wrote: »
    What process are they using to vaccinate there population that is putting them top of the pile compared to the rest of the world?

Pfizer

Don't think they're vaccinating too many palestinians

Pfizer mostly

While we haggled to save a few euro

Israel paid full price and secured supply

US and UK followed, leaving EU last as usual

• Advertisement

It will be safe and effective for sure, but the trial has been a disaster data wise

EMA will follow the FDA and get them to apply again imo

Apply again for what ? Rolling review involving data packets has been on going, there's clearly dialogue between EMA & AstraZeneca, last data set was 21st December & EMA requested further data on the back of that.

They've not even applied to the EMA as it is.

Its been posted a fair few times now, the FDA require data from trials run in the USA, they won't accept trials held in other countries. This is the issue with it comes to Oxford / AstraZeneca & the FDA.

Pfizer mostly

Israel paid a premium and approved early to secure supply they do not have advance orders iirc

When pressings start.ramping up Israel supply will be constrained

ixoy wrote: »
    Aside from the fact there's no good reason not to write off Oxford, you can't just get on the phone and tell Moderna to deliver more like that. They're a smaller manufacturer and won't be able to meet full demand. We need multiple sources, including Oxford.

Which is why I said, we backed the wrong horse

Oxford were in trouble months back

RNA has been the right horse for month's

Of course you are giving false information. 70,000 in nursing homes will be done in January and February along with other vaccinations which have not been specified in thtt article.

If you want to criticise the government please do but give accurate information instead of spreading partial news reports and assuming it is everything.

So how many will be vaccinated (double dosed) in jan?

Pfizer mostly

Ok.
    What process are they using that allows them to vaccinate so many so quickly?
    How does that compare to us?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Oxford vaccine will be the one used on the main body of the pop. That vaccine is ok to give 12 weeks apart. I'm not advocating going against Pfizer as the UK have done. I'm just glad the option is being considered and follow the science.

We know the vaccine will almost eliminate deaths, greatly reduce hospitalisations. Vaccinating everyone is a no brainer.

Israel paid a premium and approved early to secure supply they do not have advance orders iirc

When pressings start.ramping up Israel supply will be constrained

True

They might not even need that supply it if they vaccinate the vulnerable

They can give the rest Oxford, they will have plenty of supply from them when FDA and EMA put the brakes on them

We are in no man's land right now imo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Israel are doing three main things.

One They approved early
    Two they are offering a premium
    Three they are constantly negotiating with pfizer to forward load their orders. Look you were goi g to ship 5,000 to Zimbabwe (for example) . They haven't approved yet. Ship us their 5,000 and give them 5,000 of our march or April order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I know it’s probably down to supply as well as the usual expected incompetence of the Gov & HSE, but the rate at which the vaccine roll out is happening here is really depressing. I know the rate will likely pick up but even if it does our plan could exceed a year or even two. Difficult to be positive about it all tbh.

• Advertisement

The Oxford vaccine will be the one used on the main body of the pop. That vaccine is ok to give 12 weeks apart. I'm not advocating going against Pfizer as the UK have done. I'm just glad the option is being considered and follow the science.

We know the vaccine will almost eliminate deaths, greatly reduce hospitalisations. Vaccinating everyone is a no brainer.

We don't even know if EMA will even approve Oxford

Will it be January, February, March?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement