Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,462 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

They might not want to be seen to be falling behind but I’ll put money on them being behind anyway, whether they like it or not. The start we have had hardly inspires confidence.
    True but less so than without the numbers being available for scrutiny internationally, and merely the welfare of the people being the only consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This is a regional side note, but Waterford which was going to have to wait until next Monday to get vaccine is now getting it on Tuesday thanks to local media (and individuals getting in touch with powers that be) all the south hospital Group doses went to Cork in the first instance. This sort of tension between cities, hospitals, nursing home chains could be a feature for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but is there a link to the consent form that Irish public should sign before taking the vaccine?
    I just would like to compare it with ours ( https://cdn.onb.it/2020/12/all-1-Consenso.pdf ).
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

This is a regional side note, but Waterford which was going to have to wait until next Monday to get vaccine is now getting it on Tuesday thanks to local media (and individuals getting in touch with powers that be) all the south hospital Group doses went to Cork in the first instance. This sort of tension between cities, hospitals, nursing home chains could be a feature for a while.

By understanding was that the 3 Dublin 1 Cork hospitals were prioritised cause the have more severe patients hence slightly higher level of exposure.

This localism stuff can't start coming into it, unless there is genuine case based on risks.

There is actual genuine case when full rollout comes along to give greater priority to Dublin given the dense population and constant stubborn incidence levels and border counties given the Norths rollout will end up 4-6 weeks ahead.
    But could you imagine the commotion that would cause across the rest of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

lbj666 wrote: »
    By understanding was that the 3 Dublin 1 Cork hospitals were prioritised cause the have more severe patients hence slightly higher level of exposure.

This localism stuff can't start coming into it, unless there is genuine case based on risks.

There is actual genuine case when full rollout comes along to give greater priority to Dublin given the dense population and constant stubborn incidence levels and border counties given the Norths rollout will end up 4-6 weeks ahead.
    But could you imagine the commotion that would cause across the rest of the country.

Think Galway was included along with CUH and the Dublin hospitals

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Localism will definitely rear it’s head, I once saw a woman on boards from Waterford claim she wouldn’t use eircode because people in Dublin were getting to keep the first 3 digits from the old system and it was favouritism. There will be plenty of moaning and speeches in the dail by ill informed fools looking for votes.
    Personally I’m happy to wait a couple of weeks to make a call on how our rollout is going, better delays now to sort out logistics than when they are in the back of a truck waiting to be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Almost 5,000 cases today and hospitals really struggling.
    This is getting very tough!!!
    Imagine people still won’t wear masks ???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Got my 46th test results today, still negative. Vaccine due on 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Almost 5,000 cases today and hospitals really struggling.
    This is getting very tough!!!
    Imagine people still won’t wear masks ???

and some people still think its fake, and wont take the vaccines when they become available....

The mind boggles at the idiocy of some people, it really does.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Gael23 wrote: »

There's some truth of course.

We didn't sign an agreement with Pfizer til November.

One of our biggest orders is with Sanofi who isn't likely to be ready for approval till summer.

Everyone was surprised by how successful the prize vaccine is. So it's hard to shy we should have done better.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Gael23 wrote: »

What truth are you looking for??

The orders are already placed and contracts signed between EU & the vast majority of vaccine manufacturers.

The EU did what was reasonable, sign multiple contracts, nobody had any idea what vaccines would be successful and which would fail, spread the risk among them all instead of putting all the eggs in one basket.

Easy to say now in hindsight oh maybe we should have ordered more from Pfizer, nobody knew at the time when the inital agreement was reached. If Pfizer had of failed people would be giving out that there's a huge contract there and that its wasted money.

They really are dammed if they do dammed if they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A question to you Gael. Would you bet on a new untried technology over a tried and tested one?
    BTW I greatly admire Katalin Kariko, who developed RNA technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

I’d agree with this article. Also essential retail and teachers should be all be moved up the list! I interact with hundreds of people every week and my wife has to deal with smallies every day!

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40200429.html?fbclid=IwAR3emDZVvN1rcuqNk-4FP-y5xkf9a0TuJPb09Qq-ySxHuzezgiJ6L7rKlww

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Cork2021 wrote: »
    I’d agree with this article. Also essential retail and teachers should be all be moved up the list! I interact with hundreds of people every week and my wife has to deal with smallies every day!

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40200429.html?fbclid=IwAR3emDZVvN1rcuqNk-4FP-y5xkf9a0TuJPb09Qq-ySxHuzezgiJ6L7rKlww
    Who should be pushed down to make room for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Testing in them centres should be discontinued at this stage and people should avoid going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Testing in them centres should be discontinued at this stage and people should avoid going out.

Where do you suggest people should be tested then ?

Who should be pushed down to make room for them?

Nobody pushed down but once the most vulnerable and HCW are done the spread and use of the vaccine should be for those essential workers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

The HSE have contacted the owner of the GP practice that my girlfriend works in.

The HSE wanted to know how many people wanted the vaccine.

The practice owner contacted staff. Of course my girlfriend put her name down. I am really happy and totally delighted that it seems that she will get a vaccine soon :):):)

The next step is the HSE will ring the practice owner during the week to "discuss".

Anyone know what this means? Will the HSE call and organise times for vaccination? or is this just planning calls in advance of vaccinations in several weeks time?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

JTMan wrote: »
    The HSE have contacted the owner of the GP practice that my girlfriend works in.

The HSE wanted to know how many people wanted the vaccine.

The practice owner contacted staff. Of course my girlfriend put her name down. I am really happy and totally delighted that it seems that she will get a vaccine soon :-)

The next step is the HSE will ring the practice owner during the week to "discuss".

Anyone know what this means? Will the HSE call and organise times for vaccination? or is this just planning calls in advance of vaccinations in several weeks time?

Probably planning which is good to see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Anyone who got the vaccine already, was there talk of a certificate in case airlines in future look for this?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Remember that the US also got caught out when Pfizer took up the lead out of nowhere. Pfizer weren’t in Warp Speed and the US only had 100m doses ordered. When they asked for more Pfizer politely pointed to the back of the queue.

The US were saved somewhat by Moderna. It seems most of the western world had a lot of their chips on Oxford/AstraZeneca.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,650 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Nobody pushed down but once the most vulnerable and HCW are done the spread and use of the vaccine should be for those essential workers!

After the HCW and most vulnerable, who should be pushed down for the essential workers?

Here's the order, it looks like they are currently in 6th, who of these should be moved down for them:
    3 People aged 70 and older
    4 Other healthcare workers not in direct patient contact
    5 People aged 65-69

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/39038-provisional-vaccine-allocation-groups/

astrofool wrote: »
    After the HCW and most vulnerable, who should be pushed down for the essential workers?

Here's the order, it looks like they are currently in 6th, who of these should be moved down for them:
    3 People aged 70 and older
    4 Other healthcare workers not in direct patient contact
    5 People aged 65-69

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/39038-provisional-vaccine-allocation-groups/

I’d move the 65-69 up to fourth and the hcw into sixth. Not much of a difference but childcare workers are in direct contact

Good article about how many doses the Uk could have available in a few weeks. Could have 24m given first dose!! By middle of February.

https://twitter.com/coronavirusgoo1/status/1345828599899811840?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 16,650 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I’d move the 65-69 up to fourth and the hcw into sixth. Not much of a difference but childcare workers are in direct contact

I don't agree, getting the hospitals fully covered will be of more benefit than those who can isolate safely and not interact with the hospitals.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40200474.html?fbclid=IwAR2-gA-f7I0q__vXpxQ61vwudLQNszF-7YXnx4QIWOv5CXw-KS4B7g0GCMU

We are alas all too familiar with the bias towards Cork!
    “A vaccine roll out plan that prioritised Cork hospitals to include centres that are elective-only with minimal Covid exposure or active case in-patients, while ignoring the significant Covid case burdens and staff risks existing in other regional acute hospitals in Waterford, Kerry, and Tipperary is a further signal of failure in SSWHG equitable recognition or governance."

Mr Shanahan said there was no parity of esteem among hospitals in SSWHG, adding that the group's management had a 'Cork-first' attitude.

Just one seat of nine on the SSWHG board is available to UHW despite it being the only other category four hospital in the group, and the second largest by bed number, he pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I am not entertaining this parish pump horse**** at all, Independant TD trying to get his name out.

• Advertisement

Of course not! :D Is it happening to you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement