Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Wallander wrote: »
    What would be the possible consequences if a country like Ireland started administering a vaccine before it gained EMA approval having seen it be approved and in mass use in the UK? Not that I'm advocating such an approach, I have no knowledge of the issue and expect it could bring major legal problems after side effects, but I am curious if it fits into the realms of possibility in a grave crisis situation.

We don't get it until it's approved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 124 ✭✭Treseemme.

JTMan wrote: »
    More on the SA variant ...

Matt Hancock has said he is " ‘incredibly worried’ about South Africa Covid variant".

The University of Oxford have said "there is a “big question mark” as to whether the vaccines currently being rolled out would work on the South African variant."

More here.

(As mentioned, possible that current vaccines will respond, to this variant, but be less effective).

Surely he wouldn't be coming out with this unless it's a serious concern

He must know something?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

JTMan wrote: »
    More on the SA variant ...

Matt Hancock has said he is " ‘incredibly worried’ about South Africa Covid variant".

The University of Oxford have said "there is a “big question mark” as to whether the vaccines currently being rolled out would work on the South African variant."

More here.

(As mentioned, possible that current vaccines will respond, to this variant, but be less effective).

Well that's worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

The biggest issue is probably the state would be taking on unlimited liability issues as it would have ignored its own drugs & medicines regulatory agency, which is the EMA. The EU isn’t some kind of foreign entity. It is *our* system.

It would be like say Oregon, a state with a pop similar to ours, deciding to try to approve a complex vaccine itself instead of the FDA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 124 ✭✭Treseemme.

Have we got flights coming in from SA

I see the UK has restricted them

• Advertisement

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Seen on Reddit Ireland

Eye opening stats here and should be shown to every anti-vax psychopath

http://i.redit/26aankf2png

[IM https://i.redd.it/26aankf2wr861.png[/IMG]
    Treseemme. wrote: »

No we’ve never had direct South African flights, other than perhaps the odd charter for rugby purposes.

There could well be flights entering other airports in Europe or even beyond though. If someone’s determined to fly in, they can just do multiple hops. It’s not that expensive.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

We don't have direct flights to SA - we go via the UK generally. I was in SA last year and that's how I did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Pretty sure we don’t have any anyway

ixoy wrote: »
    We don't have direct flights to SA - we go via the UK generally. I was in SA last year and that's how I did it.

U.K., France, Germany, Netherlands etc would all be common routes.

Eg something like SA - Amsterdam Schiphol - Dublin or Cork isn’t unlikely.

• Advertisement

He must know something?

If he knows something he definitely should not be coming out with this without specific detail

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Any good news today guys?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

leahyl wrote: »

The sun is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

leahyl wrote: »

The UK has started vaccinated with the AstraZeneca vaccine. That could be seen as good news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

The UK has started vaccinated with the AstraZeneca vaccine. That could be seen as good news.

Is it only 60% effective?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Solar2021

He must know something?

Porton down laboratory have isolated it and been growing it

Will be another few weeks until they have complete results, but surely they have partial results by now

Mat Hancock being the secretary of State Health, you'd imagine would be one of the few briefed on it

The figures from the U.K. first few weeks of launch might actually be very helpful towards getting the EMA the data it needs. Effectively they’re almost doing a live clinical trial in some ways as the data wasn’t clear enough to satisfy the EMA and the FDA won’t approve it based on non US data at all. So it may take months or never be approved for use in the USA.

I would be a little cautious of U.K. hype around a British vaccine. We need to be pretty coldly objective on these things. I mean you had Boris Johnson suggesting it should have Union flags on the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Happy4all wrote: »

With a full dose wait 3 weeks full dose I believe its around 62%.

There is no efficacy for the full dose wait 12 weeks full dose but they say it is higher than the 3 weeks. I'm not sure if they are guessing or not.

Happy4all wrote: »

Except that its more than that.

And there were no hospitalisations in the vaccine group and 10 in the control. Which means it will prevent at least 60% of cases using your numbers, and have a very low instance of severe disease. Is that not useful

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

The Guardian used to have a useful progression chart showing what stage each potential vaccine was in the approval process, but it's not there anymore.
    Does anyone know the current possible timelines for J&J, Sanofi etc?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Stephen Donnelly just said on RTE Radio1 the vaccination target for this week has been upped to 35,000

• Registered Users Posts: 12,622 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Stephen Donnelly just said they're aiming to vaccinate 35,000 this week. Only vaccinated 4000 last week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

eigrod wrote: »
    Stephen Donnelly just said on RTE Radio1 the vaccination target for this week has been upped to 35,000

Great news! All we need now is EMA to approve the Astra vaccine asap....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Donnelly on radio 1 saying the Pfizer order for this week arrived 2 days early, 41k doses.

As a result the 20,000 target for this week is now 35,000.

Hospital rollout upped to 20 hospital

The Pfizer order is now 3.4 million doses

• Registered Users Posts: 9,781 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Donnelly on radio 1 saying the Pfizer order for this week arrived 2 days early, 41k doses.

As a result the 20,000 target for this week is now 35,000.

Hospital rollout upped to 20 hospital

So we're vaccinating more people when we have more doses? No, that can't be right, the hse have already messed this up remember?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

hynesie08 wrote: »
    So we're vaccinating more people when we have more doses? No, that can't be right, the hse have already messed this up remember?
    Hey, let's see if they actually hit the target before I have to give them credit :pac:

EMA approval for Moderna brought forward to TODAY according to AFP.

Just to note the meeting for Wednesday is still planned just incase but a new meeting has been convenved for today to look at Moderna.

https://twitter.com/dannyctkemp/status/1346092129555255298?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 12,622 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Has there been any word on Moderna delivery volumes? Thought I had heard quite a while ago that the EU wouldn't be getting a whole lot early on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Solar2021 wrote: »
    Porton down laboratory have isolated it and been growing it

Will be another few weeks until they have complete results, but surely they have partial results by now

Mat Hancock being the secretary of State Health, you'd imagine would be one of the few briefed on it

I’ll know there will be some on here who won’t want to know or like to hear but the vaccines can be tweaked as we keep rolling it out. The flu vaccine gets tweaked all the time for it’s variations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement