Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

ixoy wrote: »
    I took the post to mean that, for example, a vial has 5.75 doses - Could you extract .25 from the next vial to get your sixth dose. If both of these vials had 5.75 doses, you'd now have 11 full doses instead of 10 and two .75 doses going to waste.

That's what I meant. You have to draw a full dose. You can't mix half doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

The "going by current rates it'll take a bajillion years..." people must take several years to drive to their local shop, since presumably they stay driving for whole journey at 0.001km/h they set off at. Concepts like accelerating or moving up from first gear must be beyond them since they can't understand that the vaccination process will speed up as the process gains momentum and more supply becomes available.

We're not German.
    Something will happen sooner or later. Just like this time we have run out of syringes, next time we'll run out of cotton swabs for disinfecting the spot of the injection, or an earthquake will disrupt the services in an area, or not enough vaccination centres will be set up.
    There are countries that aren't made to counter emergencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Numbers are numbers, not drama.
    We received 479k doses, we provided
    25% of available doses.
    Next week we will receive further 470k doses, but we will still be 360k doses late.

Your contention is that the first week of vaccinations is as fast as Italy will ever go.

That is simply not credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

We're not German.
    Something will happen sooner or later. Just like this time we have run out of syringes, next time we'll run out of cotton swabs for disinfecting the spot of the injection, or an earthquake will disrupt the services in an area, or not enough vaccination centres will be set up.
    Be glad of that. They had to junk a few thousand doses because of cold chain failures. Not to mention hospitalising a number of people due to overdoses of the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

We're not German.

We managed to roll out the flu vaccine in a matter of weeks .

• Advertisement

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Your contention is that the first week of vaccinations is as fast as Italy will ever go.

That is simply not credible.

We have a saying here:
    We know our chickens
    That means "we know who we are dealing with"

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    We managed to roll out the flu vaccine in a matter of weeks .

If by "we" you mean "we Irish" I'm not surprised, I have witnessed amazing things in your country with my own eyes, just like I witness disasters here every single day.
    For instance, a bridge collapsed in August 2018, it was reopened 2 years later, they promised a new bridge in 6 months.
    So, if you Irish managed to roll out the vaccine in a few weeks, well this is what happens in a civilized country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

We have a saying here:
    We know our chickens
    That means "we know who we are dealing with"

You are saying that the first week of vaccine roll out with all its attendant newness, learning and hiccups will be as fast as the process ever gets.

I don't believe that, it is not the way things work.

As regards the chickens I do not believe a special unique incompetence is inherent in the Italian people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jurgen11

Thank you coronavirus helpers from google doodle, Youtube, Yahoo, and a lot more. Let’s all sign up for the thank you coronavirus helpers sign. This is the message from top internet icons.

Right now, the healthcare workers are on the front lines of battling the COVID 19 that is spreading rapidly throughout the world. They are putting themselves in the path of this Coronavirus around the world – in this unprecedented crisis. The doctors, technicians, pharmacists, nurses, EMTs transporters, and everyone who supports patient care is rising to the occasion and caring for our most vulnerable populations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

is_that_so wrote: »

Pfizer rightfully covering their arse

And ..

"The maximum interval of 42 days between the first and the second dose of the Pfizer/BioNtech vaccine should be respected to obtain full protection, the European Medicines Agency has said.

Evidence of the vaccine efficacy is based on a study where administration of doses was done 19 to 42 days apart, the agency said, noting that full protection comes only seven days after the booster.

Any change to this would require a variation to the marketing authorisation as well as more clinical data to support such a change, otherwise it would be considered as ‘off label use’.

Off-label use entails lower liabilities on vaccine makers."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

lbj666 wrote: »
    Pfizer rightfully covering their arse

And ..

"The maximum interval of 42 days between the first and the second dose of the Pfizer/BioNtech vaccine should be respected to obtain full protection, the European Medicines Agency has said.

Evidence of the vaccine efficacy is based on a study where administration of doses was done 19 to 42 days apart, the agency said, noting that full protection comes only seven days after the booster.

Any change to this would require a variation to the marketing authorisation as well as more clinical data to support such a change, otherwise it would be considered as ‘off label use’.

Off-label use entails lower liabilities on vaccine makers."

although i do believe the EMA are dragging their heels on the vaccine approval, i do hope they stick to their guns when i comes to using the vaccine correctly.

at the end of the day, it was tested and proven to work a particluar way, so why mess with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

is_that_so wrote: »

They said the same last week. Its something regulators would be aware of

Cork2021 wrote: »

Thought it might. It was a very last minute meeting to be honest.

The Pfizer one was more or less morning and afternoon before press conference then so probably a little more work to get done at Wednesdays meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

This Woods fella at the press conference doesn't exactly instill lots of confidence with his comments, very blasé

Prof Bulter - Limited evidence reviewed and current recommendation is to keep the 21 interval between doses. When more evidence becomes available it'll be reviewed but not on the table for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Ah that's a joke. Organise an earlier meeting to accelerate approval and then don't make a decision?

This Woods fella at the press conference doesn't exactly instill lots of confidence with his comments, very blasé

What did he say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

If by "we" you mean "we Irish" I'm not surprised, I have witnessed amazing things in your country with my own eyes, just like I witness disasters here every single day.
    For instance, a bridge collapsed in August 2018, it was reopened 2 years later, they promised a new bridge in 6 months.
    So, if you Irish managed to roll out the vaccine in a few weeks, well this is what happens in a civilized country.
    Yet again, I must ask you, what is your motive for continuously posting here? The majority of posters here are well-informed realists, not blind optimists - so views/opinions do not need to be tempered. Yet you seem intent on changing the narrative, to the point where you could be accused of derailing the thread. The suspicious sceptic in me wonders why someone who claims to be from Italy has such an unhealthy obsession with an Irish vaccine thread.

Change the record please.

What did he say?
    He was asked about non-delivery to one of the nursing homes today and basically said its a non-issue. Then said that nurses were brought to tears by vaccinations, for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

He was asked about non-delivery to one of the nursing homes today and basically said its a non-issue. Then said that nurses were brought to tears by vaccinations, for no reason.

Yeah, WTF like??

Vaccine numbers being added to the dashboard and also being given at weekly HSE briefings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Ah that's a joke. Organise an earlier meeting to accelerate approval and then don't make a decision?
    It does beg questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Solar2021

How can they not know when we are getting our Moderna vaccine delivery?

My Amazon delivery will be here Thursday with a tracking number

Solar2021 wrote: »

Because it hasnt been approved by the EMA

Are you waiting for an external agency to approve your amazon order ?

It has to be approved first, like any company Moderna aren't going to commit to a date until they know its approved.

Sure Pfizer only committed to deliver with in days until they got approval nor do they commit to the weekly delivery day until closer the time

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Assuming things go well on Wednesday I'd say it'll be ready to go next Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,545 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Giving that twitter account a follow, make s change from the doom and gloom.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement