Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Solar2021 wrote: »
    How can they not know when we are getting our Moderna vaccine delivery?

My Amazon delivery will be here Thursday with a tracking number

How much are vaccines going for on Amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Hardyn wrote: »
    That's what I meant. You have to draw a full dose. You can't mix half doses.

I wonder what the reasoning is behind this. I can understand an abundance of caution in normal times, when supply is plentiful, but these are professionals doing the administration and these are not normal times.

Solar2021 wrote: »
    How can they not know when we are getting our Moderna vaccine delivery?

My Amazon delivery will be here Thursday with a tracking number

As far as I can tell there's been no confirmation any doses manufactured in Europe are actually ready. Raw materials is Switzerland and fill and finish is in Spain, there's a period that has to confirm the production is sterile that takes a bit of time too. Some estimates suggest late January early February for 1st significant delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

As far as I can tell there's been no confirmation any doses manufactured in Europe are actually ready. Raw materials is Switzerland and fill and finish is in Spain, there's a period that has to confirm the production is sterile that takes a bit of time too. Some estimates suggest late January early February for 1st significant delivery.

If the EMA are truly waiting to see "data" to prove the production process is up to scratch, then they really are a bunch of red tape waving w&&kers.

Anyone that's ever been in a pharmaceutical facility knows they're arguably the most sterile places on earth.

You'd swear their buying a consignment of yokes off a new dealer from the Netherlands. Its big pharma ffs, of course the vials are bloody sterile.

Just approve the thing and let's get going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 124 ✭✭Treseemme.

Yet again, I must ask you, what is your motive for continuously posting here? The majority of posters here are well-informed realists, not blind optimists - so views/opinions do not need to be tempered. Yet you seem intent on changing the narrative, to the point where you could be accused of derailing the thread. The suspicious sceptic in me wonders why someone who claims to be from Italy has such an unhealthy obsession with an Irish vaccine thread.

Change the record please.

Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

If the EMA are truly waiting to see "data" to prove the production process is up to scratch, then they really are a bunch of red tape waving w&&kers.

Anyone that's ever been in a pharmaceutical facility knows they're arguably the most sterile places on earth.

You'd swear their buying a consignment of yokes off a new dealer from the Netherlands. Its big pharma ffs, of course the vials are bloody sterile.

Just approve the thing and let's get going.

Your getting Moderna and Oxford mixed up here.

Its Oxford/ AstraZeneca that have to provide more quality control data. The other poster is discussing Moderna production line.

And yes AstraZeneca do indeed as per the EMA release need to produce more data on the quality control process surrounding production. Conditional marketing authorisation requires more data than the approval from MHRA. AstraZeneca & Oxford are using multiple production lines and need to prove consistency across all that whats produced is of a high standard.

Its been discussed on thread multiple times the difference in whats required.

Those "red tape waving w&&nkers" are ensuring whats approved is safe for us all. Let them do their work. I think they know best.

If the approval process was too quick you'd have the same people who are complaining that its too slow then complaining that they didn't do an in depth review.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 55 ✭✭braychelsea

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/04/eu-covid-vaccine-rollout-slow-germany-france-tighten-restrictions.html

“Israel, a nation with just 1/50th of population of the EU, has vaccinated more of its citizens than all EU member states combined. Madame President, how is that possible?” Garicano asked in his letter to von der Leyen.

Pretty insane, EU seem to be dropping the ball while 5000 europeans die everyday from COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

EMA need to get their arses into gear. Slow and bureaucratic is being kind to them.
    Their communications have also been poor, Europeans are becoming restless with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 124 ✭✭Treseemme.

Godot. wrote: »
    EMA need to get their arses into gear. Slow and bureaucratic is being kind to them.
    Their communications have also been poor, Europeans are becoming restless with them.

Ya

Let's just approve the vaccines without checking anything

What can go wrong??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Cork2021 wrote: »

Some evidence that case numbers in over 80s in NI are not increasing at the same rate as other age groups in the most recent surge.

Now obviously that could be down to the fact that over 80s are more likely to shield or cocoon, but it is possibly the first indications that the vaccine is working. Plan in NI is that all over 80s will be vaccinated (or offered it) by the end of Jan, given they make up 60% of deaths, that could mean a significant decrease in deaths by March. May not have a massive impact on hospital admissions though because of the new variant which may offset the gains in vaccinating the over 80s by putting more people in the 60-80 age group in hospital.

It shows the need to get the vaccine out ASAP across Ireland and everywhere else for that matter

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Would it be worth having some stickied post detailing some things for each vaccine:

* Brief overview
    * How it's administered (e.g. 1/2 doses, refrigeration)
    * Its approval status
    * How many doses we can expect

Even a high level guide to the vaccines and then some specific Irish info attached.

As well as some links to the HSE's vaccination plan and, when it's up, the vaccination stats.
    Even if it's just someone doing up the post and a mod referencing it in the thread subject.

ixoy wrote: »
    Would it be worth having some stickied post detailing some things for each vaccine:

* Brief overview
    * Its approval status

Even a high level guide to the vaccines and then some specific Irish info attached.

As well as some links to the HSE's vaccination plan and, when it's up, the vaccination stats.
    Even if it's just someone doing up the post and a mod referencing it in the thread subject.

Someone mentioned it would be good to have a new thread for Vaccine Rollout.. perhaps this could be included by way of first post?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,545 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/04/eu-covid-vaccine-rollout-slow-germany-france-tighten-restrictions.html

“Israel, a nation with just 1/50th of population of the EU, has vaccinated more of its citizens than all EU member states combined. Madame President, how is that possible?” Garicano asked in his letter to von der Leyen.

Pretty insane, EU seem to be dropping the ball while 5000 europeans die everyday from COVID.

Wasn't it the case they they had to pay more upfront to get the vaccine due to not acquiring a steady supply chain like the EU has?

Israel are steaming ahead now, but once more of the vaccine is available, then other countries will get their supply more steady and more over time. I read it on twitter so I will try find it.

Not to muster up any kind of "well, did you know", but they are also restricting it from Palestine, so using Israel as an example of how to do things is probably not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

* Brief overview
    * Its approval status

can i suggest including this really great post that will answer a LOT of people's concerns about how the vaccine was developed and made so fast. they have it stickied in the science covid reddit.

https://new.reddit.com/r/COVID19/comments/kbwkb7/how_is_it_possible_to_create_a_safe_and_effective/

Can Ireland purchase additional Pfizer vaccines or from Moderna, once approved. Even though we will be charged over the odds, it's worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

* Brief overview
    * Its approval status

Great idea

Mention it in Feedback or drop a Mod a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Can Ireland purchase additional Pfizer vaccines or from Moderna, once approved. Even though we will be charged over the odds, it's worth it.

Probably be sent to the back of the queue if we did. We've ordered enough for everyone eventually, just a matter of when it arrives.

Stark wrote: »
    Probably be sent to the back of the queue if we did. We've ordered enough for everyone eventually, just a matter of when it arrives.

Waiting game becomes harder to stomach the longer you're in lockdown and as soon as hospitalisations, ICU admissions and deaths start to spiral though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Waiting game becomes harder to stomach the longer you're in lockdown and as soon as hospitalisations, ICU admissions and deaths start to spiral though.

I know, you nearly would lose faith with everything that’s going on, huge case numbers,, the UK in full shutdown again etc, hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Many of my friends seem to be in the depths of despair today. Without a doubt this is the most worried I've seen people since last March/April.

However I keep telling them that it's important for people to realise that more and more vaccines are going to arrive, as well as hopefully more effective treatments and rapid testing. By the time April rolls around I think things will look a lot brighter.

El Sueño wrote: »
    Many of my friends seem to be in the depths of despair today. Without a doubt this is the most worried I've seen people since last March/April.

However I keep telling them that it's important for people to realise that more and more vaccines are going to arrive, as well as hopefully more effective treatments and rapid testing. By the time April rolls around I think things will look a lot brighter.

For me it’s not the worry it’s just getting more and more fed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Did not know about the half dose of moderna being just as effective in ages up to 55. Anyone know is this being discussed with EMA?

The USA have now jabbed (as of this post) 4.66million people, nearly our population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

Micky 32 wrote: »
    The USA have now jabbed (as of this post) 4.66million people, nearly our population.

That’s the equivalent of Ireland having done 68,153

AutoTuning wrote: »

I was waiting for a post like this lol, However Ireland hasn’t done anywhere near 68,153 vaccinations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

Micky 32 wrote: »
    For me it’s not the worry it’s just getting more and more fed up.

For me it’s both. It’s just looking like it’s going out of control. I really never thought I would see figures that high here. I knew it could get bad, but there had been relative calm here. All I feel I can do now is batten down the hatches and hope the social measures actually reduce the R number and get us to a sane level again.

The vaccines aren’t really going to arrive any faster than they can be made. The EU, despite all the negative stuff at the moment has acted as an investor and bankrolled some of these vaccine makers. Nobody really could have predicted exactly which ones would produce quickest revolts. The mRNA vaccines were new tech outliers and ramping up production isn’t all that easy.

If anyone even has slight familiarity of what’s involved with starting up new products in biopharma or pharma production or building new plants, they’d know this is moving very very rapidly by any precedent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

AutoTuning wrote: »

Considering we've done less than 2000 I'd take that number all day long!

El Sueño wrote: »
    Considering we've done less than 2000 I'd take that number all day long!

US started on the 14th, us on the 29th. We plan to do 35k this week. On a proportional basis numbers are comparable. It like some people expect us to manically vaccinate from supplies that haven’t reached us yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Latest on the South African variant https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1346241016836272129

More experts are speculating that the vaccines will work, to some extent, on this variant, but they will be less effective.

Prof Shabir Madhi, who led trials for Oxford vaccine in SA said it was "unlikely" that the mutation in South Africa would make the current vaccines useless, but might "weaken the impact".

A tweaked vaccine could be made in around six weeks.

Telegraph today reportinghere (paywall) that the University of Reading say that the SA variant may not be easy to pick up with standard PCR tests too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement