Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

JTMan wrote: »
    Latest on the South African variant https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1346241016836272129

More experts are speculating that the vaccines will work, to some extent, on this variant, but they will be less effective.

Prof Shabir Madhi, who led trials for Oxford vaccine in SA said it was "unlikely" that the mutation in South Africa would make the current vaccines useless, but might "weaken the impact".

A tweaked vaccine could be made in around six weeks.

Telegraph today reportinghere (paywall) that the University of Reading say that the SA variant may not be easy to pick up with standard PCR tests too.

Oxford vaccine is also the least effective vaccine out there

Oxford vaccine is also the least effective vaccine out there

Very effective at preventing serious infection

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

And the least costly, developed on a not-for-profit basis, which is great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭jcon1913

ixoy wrote: »
    I'm hoping the media keeps an eye on us and uses the various press panels to question any failure to meet targets or not use the maximum allocations. This is the way out of this mess and is a far more productive point to drive home than the umpteenth question about shops opening.

I wouldn’t hold my breath on the media holding Gov to account. They have been mouthpieces for Gov “message “ so far just lapping up press releases. George Lee deserves some sort of award for his breathless reporting on the TV news

62% while the others are over 90%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Latest on the South African variant https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1346241016836272129

More experts are speculating that the vaccines will work, to some extent, on this variant, but they will be less effective.

Prof Shabir Madhi, who led trials for Oxford vaccine in SA said it was "unlikely" that the mutation in South Africa would make the current vaccines useless, but might "weaken the impact".

Telegraph today reportinghere (paywall) that the University of Reading say that the SA variant may not be easy to pick up with standard PCR tests too.

I'd take what comes from that account with a large pinch of salt to be perfectly honest. Not sure how he's been elevated to such a perch by some but he's been called out a fair few times. His expertise is in nutrition not infectious diseases despite what his twitter bio might say.

Anyway I digress from the point.

The 6 week time frame was mentioned by Ugur Sahin however he said only last week it was highly unlikely that the SA variant and UK variant would require changes in vaccine

62% while the others are over 90%

Thats wrong - it was 62% at preventing any infection. There were Zero patients requiring hospitalisation in the vaccine group in the AZ trial. There was 30 I believe in the placebo group

Thats wrong - it was 62% at preventing any infection. There were Zero patients requiring hospitalisation in the vaccine group in the AZ trial. There was 30 I believe in the placebo group

What was the prevention rate of the others?

Also they found one dose was more effective than two, but because it was a mistake in the trial it doesn't count. Oxford one has a long way to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Solar2021

Becoming increasingly clear eradification is the only strategy

Pharmacology won't out wit that thing, life finds a way and so will Sars Cov 2

That 6 weeks new vaccine to fight new strain timeline isnt accurate either

CEO of Biontech said it will take longer

Go to 2:20, he discusses

https://youtu.be/TOT8ElNBbo4

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

US started on the 14th, us on the 29th. We plan to do 35k this week. On a proportional basis numbers are comparable. It like some people expect us to manically vaccinate from supplies that haven’t reached us yet

We're already behind on that 35k then.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40201029.html

• Advertisement

Solar2021 wrote: »

They have the main base for all viruses now, spent 9 years working on it and got it right last summer.

This means they can turn vaccine around alot quicker and safer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

So, basically, the assumption is that the vaccines will still work. Maybe less effective, but given their already greater-than-expected efficacy, I would think we are still in a strong position. I sometimes have to remind myself that these vaccines have been developed in less than a year (notwithstanding all the pre-existing research of course). That is some achievement and one that should be lauded more.

Ultimately, and I don't mean to sound dismissive or facetious in anyway, this is a virus that is highly transmissible and infectious, but not a rampaging killer - in general. So vaccinate, build-up herd immunity, drive on, get back to normal, and refine/redesign the second generation of vaccines as necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

You mean zero COVID? Not realistic, not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

So what will eradication mean on a global level? How will that work?

They have the main base for all viruses now, spent 9 years working on it and got it right last summer.

This means they can turn vaccine around alot quicker and safer

Don't dispute that

The inventor said it will be longer than 6 weeks, everyone here is saying 6 weeks but it's not right

Thats all I am saying

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Don't dispute that

The inventor said it will be longer than 6 weeks, everyone here is saying 6 weeks but it's not right

Thats all I am saying

Everyone here is saying 6 weeks to tweak a vaccine (BioNTech) if required. That's not false, it is correct.

After that it rests at the hands of regulatory bodies as also mentioned in the interview, has also been mentioned here since the interview was widely shared recently.

funnydoggy wrote: »
    You mean zero COVID? Not realistic, not going to happen.

Its happening in many countries, we just don't want to do it

Everyone here is saying 6 weeks to tweak a vaccine if required. That's not false, it is correct.

After that it rests at the hands of regulatory bodies as also mentioned in the interview, has also been mentioned here since the interview was widely shared recently.

I haven't seen many mention regulatory

Havent seen them mention manufacturing, raw materials, procurement, distribution, timeline, scaling

6 weeks is fantasy stuff

16 weeks lab to jab would be impressive

That's 4 months of a new vaccine resistant strain circulating

No you see why eradification will have to be done

We will all follow Australia, China etc lead

What was the prevention rate of the others?

Also they found one dose was more effective than two, but because it was a mistake in the trial it doesn't count. Oxford one has a long way to go

Again, effectivity on preventing serious illness and effectivity on preventing any illness are two different things. Based on the published data, the Oxford vaccine is between 90.5% and 100% effective at preventing serious illness.

And the Oxford one didn't find one was more effective than two. If found 1.5 was ore effective than 2 - and even then the Confidence Intervals overlapped and the populations were different which means they were probably the same in the heel of the hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Havent seen them mention manufacturing, raw materials, procurement, distribution, timeline, scaling

6 weeks is fantasy stuff

Hello Tomas Gerry Anthony Ryan Killeen Staines!!

• Advertisement

6 weeks is fantasy stuff

Even if a vaccine resistant strain were to emerge, the existing vaccine would provide some resistance to infection meaning a new strain would not be like a new pandemic.

People who regularly get the flu vaccine tend to get less serious infections than those who dont, even if they miss a year or a different stain not covered by the vaccine emerges. Its only if a novel strain emerges that latent infection results in a large increase in serious disease.

Once we are vaccinated, a new stain will not be a novel virus, which means our systems will be somewhat attuned to the virus, enough to prevent serious infection in a lot of people, meaning the medical systems will no longer come under the same stress

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Treseemme. wrote: »
    Ya

Let's just approve the vaccines without checking anything

What can go wrong??

UK, USA, Israel and others are all way ahead of the EU on this . Why can't Europe, with all its wealth and talent, keep up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Even if a vaccine resistant strain were to emerge, the existing vaccine would provide some resistance to infection meaning a new strain would not be like a new pandemic.

People who regularly get the flu vaccine tend to get less serious infections than those who dont, even if they miss a year or a different stain not covered by the vaccine emerges. Its only if a novel strain emerges that latent infection results in a large increase in serious disease.

Once we are vaccinated, a new stain will not be a novel virus, which means our systems will be somewhat attuned to the virus, enough to prevent serious infection in a lot of people, meaning the medical systems will no longer come under the same stress

Please refine from posting something so calm and sensible. Right now we need hysteria and lots of it

Can't compare it to flu vaccine, these are RNA vaccines we are talking about

We've no idea what this thing could mutate into, could be only partial immunity escape like you say or full escape, who knows

We've no idea whats going to happen and are basing all our hopes on pharmacology which is wrong imo

ShyMets wrote: »
    Please refine from posting something so calm and sensible. Right now we need hysteria and lots of it

We need a plan other than pharmacology

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

6 weeks is fantasy stuff

That's hyper bole.

We have to presume that the pharmaceutical industry and researchers know more about this than you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

We need a plan other than pharmacology

No offense (and apologies to mods if I'm overstepping) but this is a vaccine thread - it's like going to a motorbike enthusiast's thread and advocating bicycles for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Its happening in many countries, we just don't want to do it

Dont we share an open border with another country ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Have the testing procedures changed ? I was tested yesterday and I was gently swabbed around mouth and tongue and the test swab barely went up my nose and was tickly?

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    That's hyper bole.

We have to presume that the pharmaceutical industry and researchers know more about this than you do.

I linked a video we're CEO said 6 weeks plus regulatory

Distribution, manufacturing will have to be also done

Its not hyperbole

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement