Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Leaving cert to sit in a traditional way this summer, spring before any significant ease on restrictions

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1346449185533517824?s=21

135,000 due both doses by end of Feb. Thats roughly 70k nursing home residents plus staff along with healthcare staff in hosptials.

All based on just Pfizer too, more vaccines accelerate the timeline. I think its reasonable to have the current restrictions in place until mid Feb or so when the vast majority will have got the two doses in the most critical of groupings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

I have read the vaccination plan on gov.ie but obviously there is no timelines as they dont know when the vaccines will be available to be administered. Would anyone have a rough prediction of when the over 65s age group will begin vaccinations, obviously it will be based on the assumption that AZ vaccine is approved and delivered as well as the Pfizer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Mentions summer as a time for turning the tide. Interesting to hear this from government https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0105/1187800-micheal-martin-interview/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I hate to ask this if it has been asked already, but how do I get on the vaccine list. My wife and I are both the vulnerable category in the list they released last week, for the 18-64 list with underlying conditions.

Gael23 wrote: »
    Mentions summer as a time for turning the tide. Interesting to hear this from government https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0105/1187800-micheal-martin-interview/

They've said it a few times now recently and on projections I don't see a reason to doubt that come summer it'll be a completely different landscape

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Cona wrote: »
    I have read the vaccination plan on gov.ie but obviously there is no timelines as they dont know when the vaccines will be available to be administered. Would anyone have a rough prediction of when the over 65s age group will begin vaccinations, obviously it will be based on the assumption that AZ vaccine is approved and delivered as well as the Pfizer one.
    Over 70s are group 3 and that should start in February, probably nearer the end of it, so maybe March for the over 65s?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Chong wrote: »
    I hate to ask this if it has been asked already, but how do I get on the vaccine list. My wife and I are both the vulnerable category in the list they released last week, for the 18-64 list with underlying conditions.

I have no idea. I assume you will be asked to get a doctor to refer you to be vaccinated.

My Mother would be an at risk person and has an annual appointment with her consultant due in February. She is expecting to ask him to write a referral letter. I don't know if that's how it will end up working though.

I have no idea. I assume you will be asked to get a doctor to refer you to be vaccinated.

My Mother would be an at risk person and has an annual appointment with her consultant due in February. She is expecting to ask him to write a referral letter. I don't know if that's how it will end up working though.

Yeah I was thinking of ringing the doctor to ask about this I guess it would be the best place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Quite a misleading tweet from RTÉ suggesting that Martin said 135,000 will be vaccinated by the end of February. He said he could be sure that 135,000 will be vaccinated by then with the one vaccine that has been approved at this point, and then went on to clarify that both Moderna and AstraZeneca are part of their hopes/plans in the next month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

is_that_so wrote: »
    Over 70s are group 3 and that should start in February, probably nearer the end of it, so maybe March for the over 65s?

135000 vaccinated by end of February. Pathetically slow

• Advertisement

The plan is to go live with 2 portals, one where you could book your own appointment & the second where your GP could book in bulk for their paitents. System will then issue reminders for the second dose and same process to book a slot.

There will also be a call center available for those who can't book online or have queries on appointments etc.

I would say the first one would be more used for mass vaccination centres while the second would be more useful for GP based injections.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Yep even some of the posters who have a fetish for having us lockdown forever ( whatever their agenda is) are going to be sorely disappointed come the autumn for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Do we know what sort of verification process there will be for group 7 high risk 18-64 year olds?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

135k fully vaccinated. As in after receiving their 2nd dose. These people will get their first jab in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We currently only have one vaccine. When we get the second one, hopefully this week that will change. Others will follow and March should see us begin to ramp up. It's always better to underpromise. I think it's good people are complaining about it as it suggests they want to get vaccinated - a very positive thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Solar2021 wrote: »
    You have Matt Hancock, Secretary of State for Health for the UK

Saying he is 'incredibly worried'

A man who has direct contacts with Porton Down lab, who are one of the tops infectious disease labs in the world, growing the bloody thing the last few weeks

Experts at Oxford

But no our epidemiologist El Sueno and our Chief Medical Virologists Hmmmz who also qualified from the College of Boards.ie, 9 ago months say it's like winning the lotto and I may go to Bermuda

Lads lets's be real here, ye don't have a clue what ye are talking about, just like me.

None of ye are virologists or medically qualified, ye read Reddit/Lancet/Google and the journals just like I do.

From that same BBC article:
    "Prof Barry Schoub, who chairs the government's advisory committee on vaccines, said the "preliminary evidence" from tests did not suggest that mutations would allow the virus to "escape" the impact of the current vaccines.

"The vaccines seem to be very effective," he said, citing laboratory tests that appeared to show the current vaccines still "neutralise this new variant"."

Called the doctor there they have absolutely no information whatsoever on the rollout process and cannot refer anyone yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

marno21 wrote: »
    135k fully vaccinated. As in after receiving their 2nd dose. These people will get their first jab in January.

“Taoiseach Micheál Martin said up to 135,000 people will be vaccinated with two doses of the Covid-19 vaccine by the end of February.“

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Called the doctor there they have absolutely no information whatsoever on the rollout process and cannot refer anyone yet.

It's too early for that. When it's time for further rollout then you'll hear about it.

At the moment it's nursing homes and healthcare/hospital workers only.

St.Spodo wrote: »
    Quite a misleading tweet from RTÉ suggesting that Martin said 135,000 will be vaccinated by the end of February. He said he could be sure that 135,000 will be vaccinated by then with the one vaccine that has been approved at this point, and then went on to clarify that both Moderna and AstraZeneca are part of their hopes/plans in the next month or two.

Not really, I've just listened to it again, he clearly stated 135,000 is based on Pfizer supply. He then went on to clearly state that the overall rollout plan does indeed require more supply for mass vaccination (we all know that) and reiterated that both Moderna and AstraZeneca will play a big role here.

The Pfizer supplies are quite clearly sectioned off for nursing homes and hospitals until more come on stream

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Interesting Twitter thread. Nothing that hasn't already been discussed, but UK strain unlikely to much impact on vaccines, South African might, either way best to vaccinate as it should give some protection even in a worst case.

https://twitter.com/jbloom_lab/status/1346442049663340544

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Solar2021

Hmmzis wrote: »
    From that same BBC article:

Yes they are both guessing

Doesn't matter what we think.

Until they grow it and test it, it's all specualtion

They can both have theories

Porton down laboratory are growing it now and will test it in a few weeks Hancock said.

Your pretty knowledge tbf, post well

Y

Experts at Oxford

Surprised you didn't use the word "Boffins"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Sconsey

135,000 due both doses by end of Feb. Thats roughly 70k nursing home residents plus staff along with healthcare staff in hosptials.

All based on just Pfizer too, more vaccines accelerate the timeline. I think its reasonable to have the current restrictions in place until mid Feb or so when the vast majority will have got the two doses in the most critical of groupings.

I hate to disagree but the vaccine rollout bizzarely has some of the most critically vulnerable pushed out to the 6th group, which will not be getting vaccinated any time soon (I am guessing maybe May/June).

If you have a medical condition that makes you very high risk, you will be waiting till group 6 if you are under 65 years of age. So all the people with cystic fibrosis for example, will need to stay locked up indoors till late spring or early summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

As people say its a bit early, i dont think its clear how the referral system is going to work. If you have a GP fully aware of your conditions and have records to substantiate a referral, not much you can do for the moment.

If not and say you've changed GPs or records might be scattered best to get all those ducks in a row now.

lbj666 wrote: »
    As people say its a bit early, i dont think its clear how the referral system is going to work. If you have a GP fully aware of your conditions and have records to substantiate a referral, not much you can do for the moment.

If not and say you've changed GPs or records might be scattered best to get all those ducks in a row now.

Yeah defo I have all my ducks in a row records wise just need to make sure I flag with the GP, looking at the rollout I am in group 7.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Sconsey wrote: »
    I hate to disagree but the vaccine rollout bizzarely has some of the most critically vulnerable pushed out to the 6th group, which will not be getting vaccinated any time soon (I am guessing maybe May/June).

So which of the groups ahead should they be ahead of do you think?

Looking at the groups, I don't think it's bizarre at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Do we know what sort of verification process there will be for group 7 high risk 18-64 year olds?

I'd assume they'll just go off the word of the GP tbh. Maybe a check on if a GP is referring way more than other GPs might be done but I doubt they'll have people being examined after referred to make sure they're meant to be there

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

Important to remember that all the groups are not the same size, some are quite small and could be done in a week or two when things are ramped up

• Advertisement

A strain is supposedly partial/vaccine evading right now, who knows what new strains will appear as we put the squeeze on the virus through mass vaccination

I think its a valid discussion

Your analogy isn't fair

I'm negative yes, but we are 1 year in and our only hope here is the vaccine

Can we not discuss the failure of a vaccine or only good news here?
    Yes they are both guessing

Doesn't matter what we think.

Until they grow it and test it, it's all specualtion

They can both have theories

Porton down laboratory are growing it now and will test it in a few weeks Hancock said.

Your pretty knowledge tbf, post well

Called on your bs and retreat to "its all speculation", trying to both sides an argument where the preponderance of evidence is on one side

The overwhelming view is that the observed mutations are not sufficient to impact the vaccine effectivness yet you are peddling sh*te

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement