Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Because we can't pull vaccine supply out of thin air?

so its a case or we under ordered or what? thats not a reason you have given its an excuse. other countries seem to have no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

Hmmzis wrote: »
    If the HSE will do something like this here, I'll happily volunteer.
    St John are using their existing network of, I presume, trained first-aiders. I don't see why the same couldn't be done here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

unplayable wrote: »
    so its a case or we under ordered or what? thats not a reason you have given its an excuse. other countries seem to have problems.

More like the European medical association are taking their time crossing the T's and dotting the I's

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

so its a case or we under ordered or what? thats not a reason you have given its an excuse. other countries seem to have problems.
    No it's not. We didn't order anything, the EU gave us 1% of doses each week. Because, shock, we have 1% of the EU's population.

How can we possibly get more?
    Moderna is being approved tomorrow, that's even more.
    When AZ is approved, that's even more.

The lack of patience for the process is absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Vicxas wrote: »
    Only 135,0000 by the end of Feb, that seems very low to me.

Based on 1 vaccine and all 135,000 having got 2 doses so 270k doses, its quite good. You also having people getting the first dose through February. Its literally all the supply for 1 vaccine that's coming in going back out again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Hmmzis wrote: »
    That's a brilliant paper and an amazing amount of work in a very short period of time. Even with the limited amount of sera they had it shows very clearly how different human immune responses are (after a natural infection). The affinity maturation over time is also nicely evident, for those who had a germinal center response I'm assuming (the 1/3ish of the cohort lines up with the Rockefeller University study about antibody maturation).
    https://twitter.com/BallouxFrancois/status/1346502803716513792

plodder wrote: »
    :( I thought I remember hearing the same, that we were only using professional staff and thinking maybe that's not as great as it sounds. Administering a vaccine is not that hard I'm told, and you'd think volunteers could do it in larger centres where there are medical professionals already.

Pfizer can currently only be administered by those that are trained to administer it, there is a specific training course. Its not your bog standard vaccine to administer compared to AstraZeneca for example

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not sure if this was posted here, but I saw it on Reddit yesterday.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2021/0105/1187705-global-virus-latest/

Kind of unbelievable, but I did note this some weeks ago. The US hasn't undertaken a public health programme like this in 50 years, and when half of your population are skeptical about whether there's even a pandemic, you're going to run into problems.

Travel between the US and Europe is going to be disrupted well into next year because of this, IMO. Scaling up and public buy-in will take months to resolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Supply is the main issue but we have vaccinated 4,000 people as per “our world in data”, and we got 9,750 doses on the 26th. We are keeping half back for second dose, so we havnt even used up the initial batch yet, ignoring the 30,000 that came on the 29th or the batch yesterday. That’s not a supply issue.

I’m hoping our real numbers are above 4K and there is a time lag in reporting. I know it’s a complex vaccine to give out, if they get the 35,000 they reckon done this week I think we’ll be back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

No it's not. We didn't order anything, the EU gave us 1% of doses each week. Because, shock, we have 1% of the EU's population.

How can we possibly get more?
    Moderna is being approved tomorrow, that's even more.
    When AZ is approved, that's even more.

The lack of patience for the process is absurd.

Denmark have 5.8 million people and by 27th December had vaccinated 47k people. Explain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Pfizer can currently only be administered by those that are trained to administer it. Its not your bog standard vaccine to administer compared to AstraZeneca for example
    I can understand how the allergic reactions may have thrown a bit of a spanner into the works. It's not as big a problem as the media initially made out, but it will make people a bit warier about who administers it.

What I don't understand, and we're nearly two weeks after receiving the first batch, is how we (the public) are still not getting project information on the number of vaccines received and how many administered. Also, where is the supposed media effort to promote vaccines?

I couldn't give two hoots about how many we are "planning" to administer. I'm "planning" on having a dry January.

At the NPHET briefings I would like to see a slide on the vaccination project with hard numbers. It is at least as important as the number of new cases. The HSE would make life a lot easier for themselves by having a single slide showing the quantity of vaccines we have received from the manufacturers.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Supply is the main issue but we have vaccinated 4,000 people as per “our world in data”, and we got 9,750 doses on the 26th. We are keeping half back for second dose, so we havnt even used up the initial batch yet, ignoring the 30,000 that came on the 29th or the batch yesterday. That’s not a supply issue.

I’m hoping our real numbers are above 4K and there is a time lag in reporting. I know it’s a complex vaccine to give out, if they get the 35,000 they reckon done this week I think we’ll be back on track.
    i know for a fact there's at least 4k vaccinated in cork alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Pfizer can currently only be administered by those that are trained to administer it, there is a specific training course. Its not your bog standard vaccine to administer compared to AstraZeneca for example

Apparently dentists have offered to help but the offer hasn't been taken up, just something I heard on the radio so no links. I would have thought that dentists would be very experienced at giving injections and would need minimal training so I wonder why this would be.

Denmark have 5.8 million people and by 27th December had vaccinated 47k people. Explain
    I'm not Danish so I'm not going to explain. Couldn't care less what Denmark are doing tbh.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

seamus wrote: »

Kind of unbelievable, but I did note this some weeks ago. The US hasn't undertaken a public health programme like this in 50 years, and when half of your population are skeptical about whether there's even a pandemic, you're going to run into problems.
    I saw elsewhere that vaccine skepticism is rife in France too - only 40% being sure they'd take it. It's being put out as one of the challenges they face. They also borrowed the "patient consent" line that we're using.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

Pfizer can currently only be administered by those that are trained to administer it. Its not your bog standard vaccine to administer compared to AstraZeneca for example
    It does seem to be a lot more fragile and complicated than others. But, nevertheless you would think some kind of a 'production line' process might work, with volunteers (trained for specific tasks) doing some of the preparation work. The vaccines are manufactured in such environments after all.

But, even if it's the case that volunteers could only adminster the AZ vaccine, you'd want to be training the people to do it now.

hmmm wrote: »
    I can understand how the allergic reactions may have thrown a bit of a spanner into the works. It's not as big a problem as the media initially made out, but it will make people a bit warier about who administers it.

What I don't understand, and we're nearly two weeks after receiving the first batch, is how we (the public) are still not getting project information on the number of vaccines received and how many administered. Also, where is the supposed media effort to promote vaccines?

I couldn't give two hoots about how many we are "planning" to administer. I'm "planning" on having a dry January.

At the NPHET briefings I would like to see a slide on the vaccination project with hard numbers. It is at least as important as the number of new cases. The HSE would make life a lot easier for themselves by having a single slide showing the quantity of vaccines we have received from the manufacturers.

Already mentioned by HSE for now numbers at their weekly briefing, going forward on geo hive hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I don't think that is true. They only got 10K on the 26th. They are about a week ahead of us. Based on our original plan we'd have about 30K by the end of this week.

https://www.thelocal.dk/20201226/first-doses-of-pfizers-covid-19-vaccine-arrive-in-denmark

Denmark like the UK aren't sticking to the recommdend dosing regime.

Now using a gap of 6 weeks between doses and no they hadn't vaccinated 47k by the 27th, its since the 27th. A point will come where nobody new can get vaccinated for a period of time as the stock won't be there now seeing as they'll need to have more put aside.

Sure we could do that in a week as well if we didn't stick to the correct dosing regime

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

"The other lane is moving fast" is starting to wear a bit.
    It's always easy to find somebody else who seems to be doing better than ourselves for aspect 67d of Covid and ask why can't we be like that.
    I'm sure the people of Ramsgrange have been looking across the Barrow for the last 2 weeks wondering why they can't be like Glenmore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Sick of seeing Staines push his zero COVID agenda and then to be negative about the vaccine rollout. It should be the likes of him putting himself front and centre and pushing for people to take it.

https://twitter.com/astaines/status/1346468366962233344?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

seamus wrote: »

Travel between the US and Europe is going to be disrupted well into next year because of this, IMO. Scaling up and public buy-in will take months to resolve.

In a way all that article just shows how massively far ahead the US is in terms of its vaccination drive, they have shipped enough vaccine for what 5% of the population already.

As other poster pointed out skeptism about vaccine is sky high in some EU countries too, like France has a skeptism rate higher than the USA as well as a poor role out, if anything travel is going to be impacted the other way with restriction on Europeans not Americans.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/26/health/covid-vaccine-hesitancy.html

It's classic European superiority complex thinking that highlights issues with the USA's and UK rollout when the EU is far far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

You were fairly confident in this roll out last year, you were telling us all about the courier's mad to get going and deliver this vaccine. Production was not an issue when that was explained to you as well, along with the potential risks of supply disruption. Glad to see you've changed your tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Based on 1 vaccine and all 135,000 having got 2 doses so 270k doses, its quite good. You also having people getting the first dose through February. Its literally all the supply for 1 vaccine that's coming in going back out again.

Wait so the 135k figure isn't taking Moderna into account? Moderna will almost certainly get approved tomorrow, we'll be jabbing people with it well before the end of Jan. Bizarre projection if based just on Pfizer, I can understand being cautious on AZ approval but not including or putting in a huge caveat for Moderna is outright poor communication

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

snotboogie wrote: »
    Wait so the 135k figure isn't taking Moderna into account? Moderna will almost certainly get approved tomorrow, we'll be jabbing people with it well before the end of Jan. Bizarre projection if based just on Pfizer, I can understand being cautious on AZ approval but not including or putting in a huge caveat for Moderna is outright poor communication

It is only Pfizer

As Michael Martin said today Moderna will change the projections

Do people just not pay attention anymore.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

That’s great, you’d have to imagine we are closer to 11/12,000 so. Pity we don’t have the daily updates out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Stheno wrote: »
    It is only Pfizer

As Michael Martin said today Moderna will change the projections

Do people just not pay attention anymore.?

Exactly, he said that, plus you’ve the Oxford vaccine as well hopefully mid February. Those projections don’t include first doses of Pfizer for other groups just the care homes and HCW

• Registered Users Posts: 9,782 ✭✭✭hynesie08

snotboogie wrote: »

They have openly given the expected vaccine numbers, up to 530k a week during summer..... But as it stands the only Guarentee is of Pfizer vaccines. If moderna is approved tomorrow and arrives Friday, next week will be adjusted accordingly.

You can't spend a pay cheque for a job you haven't done yet.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Solar2021

Sadly this is true for me too, people will use any excuse to undermine the efficacy of the vaccines, it's really sad that they have nothing better to do than to try to instill fear and doubt in people's minds in relation to the vaccines, when they are the only positive thing about this whole sh1t show at the moment.

Turn on Sky News right now if you want fear

Professor Whitty addressing the nation

CMO of the UK and epidemiologist

Saying they might/will have lockdown restrictions in Winter 2021

UK will have the whole country vaccinated well before then

If they are vaccinated ,why the restrictions, I don't get it.

Why would he say that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

You said 3k in the cork thread, where are the other 1k coming from?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement