Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Solar2021 wrote: »
    Turn on Sky News right now if you want fear

Professor Whitty addressing the nation

CMO of the UK and epidemiologist

Saying they might/will have lockdown restrictions in Winter 2021

UK will have the whole country vaccinated well before then

If they are vaccinated ,why the restrictions, I don't get it.

Why would he say that?

If the whole country is vaccinated not a hope. So you either picked it up wrong or heard what you wanted to hear. If the vaccines work there would be no reason whatsoever continuing lockdowns.

As MM said today “ "More vaccines will come on stream and we will be in a very different position in the summer time. I have no doubt about that, there is light at the end of the tunnel," he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Solar2021

Micky 32 wrote: »
    If the whole country is vaccinated not a hope. So you either picked it up wrong or heard what you wanted to hear. If the vaccines work there would be no reason whatsoever continuing lockdowns.

As MM said today “ "More vaccines will come on stream and we will be in a very different position in the summer time. I have no doubt about that, there is light at the end of the tunnel," he said.

Why would I lie?

He said it

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-news-uk-new-national-lockdown-covid-vaccine/
    Prof Whitty said that some restrictions may have to be brought back into place next winter to control the virus.

England’s chief medical officer told the Downing Street press conference: “If we did not do all the things all of us must now do, if people don’t take the stay at home seriously, the risk at this point in time, in the middle of winter with this new variant, is extraordinarily high.”

He said the risk level will gradually decrease over time with measures being “lifted by degrees possibly at different rates in different parts of the country, we’ll have to see”.

“We’ll then get over time to a point where people say this level of risk is something society is prepared to tolerate and lift right down to almost no restrictions at all,” he added.

“We might have to bring in a few in next winter for example, that’s possible, because winter will benefit the virus.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Turn on Sky News right now if you want fear

Professor Whitty addressing the nation

CMO of the UK and epidemiologist

Saying they might/will have lockdown restrictions in Winter 2021

UK will have the whole country vaccinated well before then

If they are vaccinated ,why the restrictions, I don't get it.

Why would he say that?

I think you need to step away from the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Lets play the game in front of us. Lockdown and vaccinate. Only decision to be made may be around the Oxford vaccine and as to whether use one dose, with a 12 week space to the second. This is the vaccine that will be mostly used on the general pop.

Firstly he said “might”. If the vaccine does exactly what it says on the tin and the vaccine program is complete by next winter i find it hard to believe there will be more restrictions next winter. I doubt many people will buy into it.

• Advertisement

:p

I give you Professor Whitty, UK Chief Medical Officer and Epidemiologist

You give me that eejit Michael Martin :rolleyes:

Come on :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

My wife (nurse) was asked today if she wants the vaccine. 100% of staff in the unit want it. It would seem that it is being viewed differently to the flu vaccine among HCWs. The general view is everyone wants to get back to normal.

Is this the Professor who was sort of in favour of, 'herd immunity' some months ago?

Good question Sheep, has any front line worker declined the option to take the vaccine? Zero would be my guess

Well either way it doesn’t matter who’s an eejit, i will bet money normality will resume come autumn.

Firstly he said “might”. If the vaccine does exactly what it says on the tin and the vaccine program is complete by next winter i find it hard to believe there will be more restrictions next winter. I doubt many people will buy into it.

I won't post here anymore, as I can see a few, sorry alot of ye are sick of me, but pharmacology alone won't bring us back to how we were imo.

Proffesor Whitty is a decent skin, was working on the Covid ward Christmas Day, he's telling it like it is imo and not lieing through his teeth like Michael Martin and the like, he seems a decent man and is being honest about the situation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Oxford pushed back till mid Feb in the EU, but given the go ahead in the UK?

This is ridiculous. Why are EMA dragging their feet on the most important vaccine when the UK have given it the go ahead?

I know the UK want the whole "we're leading the way with vaccines" glory, but surely they only gave it the green light after giving it very robust testing?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ShineOn7 wrote: »

This is ridiculous. Why are EMA dragging their feet on the most important vaccine when the UK have given it the go ahead?

I know the UK want the whole "we're leading the way with vaccines" glory, but surely they only gave it the green light after giving it very robust testing?

UK authorisation is emergency use. EU is full approval.afaik so more stringent

I won't post here anymore, as I can see a few, sorry alot of ye are sick of me, but pharmacology alone won't bring us back to how we were imo.

Pharmacology has done lots of things that had us have normal lives pre covid. It actually eradicated smallpox etc. it does wonders for measles too, the list goes on....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

ShineOn7 wrote: »

There is no date on EMA approval for AstraZeneca. They’ve requested more data to be provided & AstraZeneca are yet to formally apply for conditional marketing authorisation, so theres no decision for the EMA to make.

Each batch and its QC have to be verified for the EUA. That's the downside.
    Also I think the application from AZ had not been submitted to the EMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

Proffesor Whitty is a decent skin, was working on the Covid ward Christmas Day, he's telling it like it is imo and not lieing through his teeth like Michael Martin and the like, he seems a decent man and is being honest about the situation

The truth is we don’t know what next Christmas will be like. The most negative people did not predict the first week of January would be as bad as this.

The vaccines are a realistic shot at eliminating the worst of the pandemic, but Covid is here for good, there is little doubt about that. At best it will turn into a virus with an impact like the flu which can be managed with annual vaccinations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Water John wrote: »
    Is this the Professor who was sort of in favour of, 'herd immunity' some months ago?

Good question Sheep, has any front line worker declined the option to take the vaccine? Zero would be my guess

On the basis that neither my wife nor most of her colleagues take the flu vaccine, I would guess that the Covid vaccine will be, more or less, universally accepted by HCWs, which will be a real shot in the arm (ðŸ˜)for the general vaccine programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

A new vaccine is on the way. Today they announced the end of Phase 1
    https://www.ansa.it/english/news/general_news/2021/01/05/new-reithera-vaccine-safe-response-peak-at-4-wks_a2f0ac15-22f5-4c79-9501-b55161d50352.html
    It's very likely a single injection vaccine, easy to store (2-8°C), and 28 days after the shot it gives a high antibody response in up to 94% (92-94%) of people. It is safer (sic) than Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, and has fewer side effects.
    At the current pace of study/development/trial it might reach the end of phase 3 and approval by the end of June, but if more funds are poured into this research, the time line might be faster, and the vaccine might get the approval earlier.
    According to the manufacturer, they could produce 100m doses a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

https://www.ansa.it/english/news/general_news/2021/01/05/new-reithera-vaccine-safe-response-peak-at-4-wks_a2f0ac15-22f5-4c79-9501-b55161d50352.html
    It's very likely a single injection vaccine, easy to store (2-8°C), and 28 days after the shot it gives a high antibody response in up to 94% (92-94%) of people. It is safer (sic) than Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, and has fewer side effects.
    At the current pace of study/development/trial it might reach the end of phase 3 and approval by the end of June, but if more funds are poured into this research, the time line might be faster, and the vaccine might get the approval earlier.

Italy's COVID commissioner, Domenico Arcuri, said that "with ReiThera Italy is aiming for vaccine independence

Going forward, we need to be looking into this as well, producing our own vaccine and paddling our canoe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Italy's COVID commissioner, Domenico Arcuri, said that "with ReiThera Italy is aiming for vaccine independence

Going forward, we need to be looking into this as well, producing our own vaccine and paddling our canoe

Why?...we don't make our own flu vaccine. It wouldn't make any sense for a small country like ours to research, develop, trial and sell their own vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,422 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Has any been rolled out in Limerick and Kerry yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Why?...we don't make our own flu vaccine. It wouldn't make any sense for a small country like ours to research, develop, trial and sell their own vaccine.

Because the government would have to set up a task force to think about it for about 5 years and then another one to set it up and then maybe in 20 years time they might be ready to develop a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,749 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

We have massive big pharma operations in Ireland all due to generous government grants so doubt we are lacking the capability within the country to produce a vaccine.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

We have massive big pharma operations in Ireland all due to generous government grants so doubt we are lacking the capability within the country to produce a vaccine.

How many of those facilities produce vaccines?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,651 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Why would the pharma operations start developing an Ireland only vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

GSK are producing adjuvant for their vaccine in Ringaskiddy in Cork. Thermofisher are producing vials as far as I know. That's about as far as it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Massive big pharmas that produce other medicines that make profits for the companies. Why would they make a vaccine that would make zero profits when there are mulitple options of the same vaccine already developed. Anyways...i don't know why I'm arguing this point, it's that outlandish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Can't find a publicstion on it but from the presser it looks to be a simian adenovirus vector encoding the full S protein. That's a very similar aporoach to Oxford/AZ, just that the ReiThera candidate uses a gorilla specific virus while Oxford uses one from chimps. Would be good to see some more data on it, the 94% seroconversion rate would make me think tey might try a booster in phase 2 to get that up to 100%. J&J did get a 100% seroconversion rate with a single dose on the S2P construct with the furin site mutated away (their dose is also very high in comparison).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement