Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

=Food Consultancy=

Options
  • 18-12-2020 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

HI

Just wondering if anyone here might know wha a food consultancy might charge for a small cafe/food producer looking to get an objective view of their business with an eye to expansion. Possibly getting into supermarkets, small retailers etc...
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

seanaway wrote: »
    HI

Just wondering if anyone here might know wha a food consultancy might charge for a small cafe/food producer looking to get an objective view of their business with an eye to expansion. Possibly getting into supermarkets, small retailers etc...
    Thanks

My brother charges €3500 a day, usual problem is people don’t want to hear harsh realities pointed out to them so when they get the report they don’t agree with it and keep making the mistakes they made before. Bit like Gordon Ramsey’s show where he goes into restaurants and redoes the way things should be done and calls a spade a spade. After he leaves they usually revert to the way it was and go bust.

Maybe not the answer you want but just make sure your ready for this step.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Not a food consultant but do work in buying, happy to answer any basic questions you have.

Be sure to get in touch with Bord Bia and your LEO, they can give you a good view of where you are and if your ready for symbols and multiples. They generally have direct line to retailers and particularly Bord Bia would have level of influence with retailers.

No trade shows this year but check out Limerick food festival and then there’s obviously bloom but there’s plenty more organised by Bord Bia.

Aldi & Supervalu have their own academy programmes while Tesco do events directly with Bord Bia and I think Dunnes do stuff in their HQ. Key thing is to understand the pros and cons of each.

Consider distributors but just make sure they have accounts already set up to trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

Bandara wrote: »
    My brother charges €3500 a day, usual problem is people don’t want to hear harsh realities pointed out to them so when they get the report they don’t agree with it and keep making the mistakes they made before. Bit like Gordon Ramsey’s show where he goes into restaurants and redoes the way things should be done and calls a spade a spade. After he leaves they usually revert to the way it was and go bust.

Sounds lumpy but cheaper than going in blind. Does he have a website or a list of services he provides?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I know someone who has done marketing for a few of the larger food companies and for SafeFood, but also does LEO-style business training (I'm not sure if it is with an LEO or exactly what is taught). Munster-based. I can put you in contact if you wish. I have no idea on price, but I imagine mid-range.

Realise that the supermarkets and other brands will likely treat you quite harshly on a number of fronts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Bandara wrote: »

Seconded.

A lot of people don't like hearing harsh truths when it comes to setting up a food bushiness, especially the cafe trade. For start ups, it's lack of experience which I find the hardest to convince people that they need, as well as the misconception that if people know how to run a business and they know food/coffee therefore they know how to run a food business, this is most definitely not the case.
    There are a lot of hidden costs that people don't budget for and then start cutting corners when it comes to their final vision

• Advertisement
Advertisement