Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s in your saddle bag?

Options
  • 18-12-2020 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭

Preparing my kit for a spin tomorrow, and I was adding some new additions to my saddle bag, having never really taken one with me before, the comfort in having some spares on a long spin should something go wrong is nice.

I’m also a big fan of fitting exactly what you need in the smallest pack size possible, and I think I’ve done okay with my setup.

I’ve got a Silca Asymetrico with a spare 33-38 tube, 2 levers, multi tool, co2 and nozzle and a mini pump. Am I missing anything else?

What’s everyone else’s go-to load out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Puncture repair kit and self adhesive patches. ( in the unlikely event of two punctures)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭billyhead

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Preparing my kit for a spin tomorrow, and I was adding some new additions to my saddle bag, having never really taken one with me before, the comfort in having some spares on a long spin should something go wrong is nice.

I’m also a big fan of fitting exactly what you need in the smallest pack size possible, and I think I’ve done okay with my setup.

I’ve got a Silca Asymetrico with a spare 33-38 tube, 2 levers, multi tool, co2 and nozzle and a mini pump. Am I missing anything else?

What’s everyone else’s go-to load out?

2 levers, multi tool, house keys, mobile. The tubes are in my back pockets aswell as a mini pump

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I use one of those tool bottles and carry a spare tube, some patches, multi tool, tyre levers and the obligatory mask. Co2 pump sits on the back of the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Saddle bag - Spare tube, tyre levers, CO2 cannister, CO2 regulator, puncture repair kit.

Phone and Multitool go in my jersey pocket (money and house key stashed inside). A second CO2 cannister and tube are also in my jersey on longer spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I have had reason to carry a needle nose pliers as the pump I have is a screw on type, which in the past has unscrewed the value core whilst removing. Can require air support if you can't tighten the valve core sufficiently.

• Advertisement

Luxman wrote: »
    Can require air support

Do you send up a flare or are they on speed dial....? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

crosstownk wrote: »
    Saddle bag - Spare tube, tyre levers, CO2 cannister, CO2 regulator, puncture repair kit.

Phone and Multitool go in my jersey pocket (money and house key stashed inside). A second CO2 cannister and tube are also in my jersey on longer spins.

Actually have a puncture repair kit sitting in the drawer, must put some of the patches in!

Does anyone else put snacks in their jersey pockets? Phone and keys too, but snacks are the most important :D

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Quick link and spare gear cable inner, they dont weigh much or take up much space.

coastwatch wrote: »
    Quick link and spare gear cable inner, they dont weigh much or take up much space.

Never thought of quick links! Good shout!

3 tyre levers are better than 2 in my experience. Also I've got a bottle cage that can hold a mini pump. Annoying having to carry that in a pocket. Use a bottle to carry the rest I've most of that was mentioned and will carry a valve , piece of old tube as a boot though never needed it. When packing bag or bottle put what you are likely to need most at the top like tubes and levers.

EDIT: Also a good idea to to tape your name and contact details to what ever you use. I recall posting here about losing my stuff on a spin and getting a call from a young woman who had stopped and picked it up off the road on her way to work.

• Advertisement

Deano12345 wrote: »

Does anyone else put snacks in their jersey pockets? Phone and keys too, but snacks are the most important :D

Yep. Banana, Snickers, packet of jellies. All three on a long spin for between café stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 galway rower

I usually bring 3 inner tubes, multi tool, a pair of tyre levers, a few small bits of an old tubular tyre, a quick link and a small valve core tool. Also have a full size frame pump with a few wraps of gorilla tape on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭cletus

Saddle bag has spare tube, multi tool, tyre levers and quick link. Mini pump is on the frame. I actually bought a seesense handlebar bag because I hate things in my jersey pockets. It holds my pocket rocket jacket, phone, and whatever snack I'm carrying. Also handy to put gloves etc in/on if it gets warmer.

I'm going to wrap a couple of lengths of duct tape around my mini pump now

I usually bring 3 inner tubes, multi tool, a pair of tyre levers, a few small bits of an old tubular tyre, a quick link and a small valve core tool. Also have a full size frame pump with a few wraps of gorilla tape on it.

Good call on the tape, must tape up my pump when I’m back near by toolbox!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

dunno what i've done to deserve my luck, but i've only ever had one puncture out on country roads, and that was 12km from my destination and was slow enough that i could just pump it up every 2km and nurse myself back. so i've gotten complacent.
    and three tyre levers rather than two. set one as the starting point and walk the other two along the rim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭cletus

dunno what i've done to deserve my luck, but i've only ever had one puncture out on country roads, and that was 12km from my destination and was slow enough that i could just pump it up every 2km and nurse myself back. so i've gotten complacent.
    and three tyre levers rather than two. set one as the starting point and walk the other two along the rim.

You done fücked it now, MB...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Levers (4) and multi tool or hex keys. Patches, and sometimes an extra bar. Tubes always go in pocket to be honest.

If I'm using the big bag, sometimes coffee, lunch, extra layer of spare gloves

Why so many levers? I places them all under the bead a little bit apart and then press down and "hook" them all at the same time. Quicker and easier than hooking one and then trying to get he bead again with another

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

I use a waterbottle sized pouch, in it is
    1 tube
    2 25g co2
    Patch kit glueless
    2 Pedro gold tyre levers
    1 chain link
    Ninja multitool
    2 rubber gloves
    Wheel axle opening tool
    Mini hybrid pump

Usually have extra tube in back pocket as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cletus wrote: »
    You done fücked it now, MB...
    Oh, I knew that as I was posting it.
    Have punctured several times on the commute though. Twice in a week at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Spare tube, repair kit and multi tool.

Now. I’ve only ever had 1 puncture before I had a saddle bag/any repair kit. So the lbs put a new tube on for me.

I think the last time I fixed a puncture was over 20 years ago. So not sure how useful anything in my saddle bag would be to me on the side of the road.
    When I now inevitably get a puncture I think the wife will be getting a call and I will relearn the process in the comfort of my home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

How has no one mentioned Cable ties yet?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

CramCycle wrote: »

Always have a few cable ties here. Also two tubes, two levers, multitool with chain breaker, old 10sp quicklink which is easier to fit than 11sp, pair of spare brake pads (also a bit worn as easier to fit), self adhesive patches, tyre boot and a few quid in case of emergency. Used to carry a spare inner cable but with internal routing I doubt it would be any good roadside and brakes are hydro.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

5 levers
    4 tubes
    3 cable ties
    2 Mars bars
    And a partridge....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Regarding tyre levers - if you're stuck for space or wish to save weight, the handles of your QR skewers can be used instead.

Tweezers anyone? Can be useful for removing an embedded thorn from a tyre.

Luxman wrote: »
    I have had reason to carry a needle nose pliers as the pump I have is a screw on type, which in the past has unscrewed the value core whilst removing..
    There are much smaller/lighter options:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-valve-core-remover?lang=en&curr=EUR&dest=6&sku=5360644907&kpid=5360644907&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sThHyx9LS_dc|pcrid|315060536570|pkw||pmt||prd|5360644907ie|&pgrid=63493421220&ptaid=pla-522518040641
    CramCycle wrote: »
    No - cable ties don't go in the saddlebag. They are stored inside the handlebars.

Roadtoad wrote: »
    5 levers
    4 tubes
    3 cable ties
    2 Mars bars
    And a partridge....
    And a spare bike in case of catastrophic failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I have a multitool, tubeless tire levers, chain quick link, patches and glue, tire boot, dynaplug to plug tubeless punctures, tubeless valve, valve core removal tool, 2 CO2 and a very small tubolito tube to allow me to carry all of this in a small bag. Tiny mini pump attached to the frame too.

Makes getting out for a spin easier if everything I need is already on the bike, just food and a pouch for my phone in the pockets (which has a credit card, 20€ and a face mask)

I'm on the lookout for a pouch with 50ml or so of tubeless sealant but 120ml is the smallest I've found so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Multitool
    Leatherman (for pliers, knife, both missing from bike multitool)
    a tube, with another jammed under saddle
    sticky patches
    cafe lock (one of those ski-locks - won't stop a robber, but makes my bike less attractive to steal than yours)...the thing I use most!
    1 or 2 snickers bars
    3 tyre levers
    bag of bits - cleat bolt, chain link, one or two random bolts, short cable tie/s, .. other tiny stuff you might want.

yeah, it's a bit bulky, and adds some weight...but I like to fairly sure that I can deal with anything short of catastrophic failure/crash.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Saddlebag:
    Tubes (2)
    Tyre levers (3)
    A few cable ties
    A pair of latex gloves

Tool Keg:
    Multi tool
    Pump
    Granola bar
    House keys

Back pockets:
    Bananas
    Phone
    Bank card & Driving licence
    GTN Spray (for medical emergency)
    When needed, a Galibier VentUltra jacket (folds into small pocket sized ball)

Advertisement