Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a 1440p/144hz 27" monitor

Options
  • 19-12-2020 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. Title says it all. Just took the plunge to buy a gaming PC and looking for a good monitor to go with it (GPU is a 2060 super). I play some esports like Rocket League/fighting games which is important to point out.

Couple of questions.

Is the 1 milisecond response time as important as it looks? I feel like this is something I should aim towards.

I read somewhere VA tv's are inferior to IPS for gaming but don't know anything about either.

Any help/recommendations would be much appreciated, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

1ms ain't important, it's a marketing gimmick in most cases. The best monitors tend to be in the 3-5ms range. Lower response is better but don't trust what the manufacturers say.

IPS is usually what I'd recommend but again it depends on the panel and what you want from a monitor. There's pros and cons to all the monitor technology's.

What's your budget is the main factor. Also try reviewing hardware unboxed youtube channel. They do a lot of great monitor reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7m5C6_P_lnXb9cHwdo0Ct1TTZ7KUwm3e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Cheers. Budget is around 450e. Started looking at those videos you mentioned and I think something like the dell s2721dgf or LG 27gl850 seems to be a good option while also future proofing myself a bit. If the response time is very low I think I'll go with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well I really cant fault the LG27850GL fella, I have one about 2 mths now and its brilliant.

If you have any questions I will gladly try to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Well I really cant fault the LG27850GL fella, I have one about 2 mths now and its brilliant.

If you have any questions I will gladly try to help you.
    Do you play games that require low input lag like Rocket League etc.? Just wondering what's the response time like? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

No problems what so ever, it really is such a good monitor for the money.

• Advertisement

Have a GL850 as well but I'm waiting on the proper cable and a new gpu to really put it through it's paces, the Dell is better but no idea on the stock level. If they are a similar price get the Dell. There's also that new MSI MAG274QRF-QD that's better than both if you can get your hands on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3X3yFh0-gE&ab_channel=HardwareUnboxed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I've took delivery of a Dell S2721DGFA yesterday and quickly tried it out today. I'm using it beside a Dell U2715H and the combination of G-Sync and high refresh rates is a major eye opener for me.

I'm still on a GTX 1070 until I can get a 30 series card, so I can't really put it through its paces on something super new yet, but I like it so far.

Nice, I had ordered 1 of those myself but it was out of stock and after a month of waiting and still no ETA I cancelled the order and picked up a cheap GL850 in the black friday sales. No regrets, I got it for €200 less than the Dell's sale price of €433.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I ordered one BEFORE they went out of stock and my estimated delivery went from Nov 27th to Jan 24th. I wasn't in a hurry, so I thought I'd wait. Then out of nowhere, I got an invoice from Dell, and the next day, and a courier dropped one off!

I had a discount through work so it was €390, pricey, but it looks enough like my older Dell display that I can keep them side by side.

Advertisement