Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Numb big toes?

Options
  • 19-12-2020 4:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience getting numb toes when using clipless pedals?

I'm a novice cyclist doing around 30-40km per cycle, however I notice my big toes get numb very early on.

Its definitely nothing to do with cold weather as I have had this issue since summer!

Just wondering should just go up a size on shoes in future? I usually wear a UK 9, however it seems most cycling shoe brands use EU sizing and therfore I can't get my exact size.

I have my cleats just slightly behind the ball of my foot. I tried adjusting the position slightly, however I feel no change.

EDIT: Using SPD pedals with Giro Chamber 2 size EU 43/UK 8.5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

Make sure your saddle isn't pressing on your sciatic nerve. Numbness in the toes is not a good sign ever. Maybe poorly fitting toe box in your shoes​.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Make sure your saddle isn't pressing on your sciatic nerve. Numbness in the toes is not a good sign ever. Maybe poorly fitting toe box in your shoes​.

I think the saddle is OK. I had it adjusted when I purchased the bike. I am starting to think they are just too small for me. Very little wiggle room in the toebox. So annoyed, I should have just went into a bike shop to get them fitted!

Off to adverts I go!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

I think the saddle is OK. I had it adjusted when I purchased the bike. I am starting to think they are just too small for me. Very little wiggle room in the toebox. So annoyed, I should have just went into a bike shop to get them fitted!

Off to adverts I go!

Any tingling or numbness in the perineum after riding? Don't "ride through it." Look for redness or bruising with a hand mirror after riding. It's worth the effort to look up the perineal and​ sciatic nerve anatomy chart, maybe buy a different saddle, before you end up incontinent or with erectile dysfunction.

Any tingling or numbness in the perineum after riding? Don't "ride through it." Look for redness or bruising with a hand mirror after riding. It's worth the effort to look up the perineal and​ sciatic nerve anatomy chart, maybe buy a different saddle, before you end up incontinent or with erectile dysfunction.

I'm lucky enough to be pain free after cycling. I wear bib tights most times unless I'm doing a quick cycle to the shop!

The more think about it, the more I think it's the shoes. It probably does help wearing thick socks either.

If MTBers interested let me know! Hope mods don't mind.

http://www.adverts.ie/22465600

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Can be cleat position too which causes this iirc. I used to get this too. I think it was a combination of things for me, including my body adjusting.

Check that the cleat is positioned in such a way that when you're clipped in, the ball of your foot is over the axle of the pedal.

• Advertisement

Can be cleat position too which causes this iirc. I used to get this too. I think it was a combination of things for me, including my body adjusting.

Check that the cleat is positioned in such a way that when you're clipped in, the ball of your foot is over the axle of the pedal.

Thanks for the help. That's how the cleats are pretty are positioned atm unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

I had this issue with a set of Giro shoes I got a few years ago. I think the toe box was just a bit too small for my foot. It only really happened on long spins. Only solution was a different pair of shoes, Shimano ones worked for me. I still use the Giro shoes but only for short turbo sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Don't fasten your shoes too tightly before you begin. As they warm up they will swell slightly which will make them even tighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I've had this recently when training indoors. A bit of numbness even with bib shorts, although it happened less when just wearing compression shorts. I've been on the bike less because of this and definitely need to address it sooner rather than later...

crosstownk wrote: »
    Don't fasten your shoes too tightly before you begin. As they warm up they will swell slightly which will make them even tighter.

That's actually one for the first things i did. To be honest they were snug enough, I never tied the laces. I just secured them using the velcro strap.

I ended up going to the bike shop and trying on new pairs, I got a pair of shimano cx shoes with the boa system. Hopefully this will fix my issue!

• Advertisement
Advertisement