Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turning off hot water

• 19-12-2020 9:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭

So I have a small job to do for the folks, here is the situation, I'm not a plumber

They have a washing machine that is incorrectly fed from a hot water pipe that's also feeding a sink via a t- piece & I need to switch it to a cold feed, where can I temporarily turn off the hot water supply to make the change. There is also a t-piece on the cold feed to the sink, originally I think there was a hot & cold feed to a washing machine years ago

I assume I do this in the hot press? And it's a valve on a pipe leaving the bottom of immersion?, I'm not there so don't know how many valves are in the hot press until I get there later, I know I'll have to turn off the cold supply too

What's the usual set-up

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭John.G

Assuming your hot water cylinder is fed from a cold water storage (CWST) in the attic, you will see one or more than likely two valves on the bottom of this CWST, just shut both of them and open a hot tap downstairs, the hot water should stop after a few minutes but your hot water cylinder will remain full of water but no problem. The cold feed to the washing machine may be also coming from the CWST, if the sink cold tap stops flowing as well then no need to shut the cold water supply to the house but more than likely that it is mains fed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

John.G wrote: »
    Assuming your hot water cylinder is fed from a cold water storage (CWST) in the attic, you will see one or more than likely two valves on the bottom of this CWST, just shut both of them and open a hot tap downstairs, the hot water should stop after a few minutes but your hot water cylinder will remain full of water but no problem. The cold feed to the washing machine may be also coming from the CWST, if the sink cold tap stops flowing as well then no need to shut the cold water supply to the house but more than likely that it is mains fed.

Good man, appreciate that, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Are the Tee pieces you mention washing machine valves? Surely you can just turn them off there? If you're leaving the hot valve in place and just swapping the hose to the cold water feed I recommend you get a 1/2" BSP blank to put over the open hot valve just in case it is weeping slightly. I speak from experience....

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Are the Tee pieces you mention washing machine valves? Surely you can just turn them off there? If you're leaving the hot valve in place and just swapping the hose to the cold water feed I recommend you get a 1/2" BSP blank to put over the open hot valve just in case it is weeping slightly. I speak from experience....

No, they are copper or brass t- pieces on the hot & cold feeds to the sink taps, situated below the sink, originally there were two pipes, one hot, one cold running to the washing machine from these t- pieces
    At some stage the cold pipe to the washing machine was removed & t-piece capped just leaving a hot feed to the washing machine

It's just a matter of switching the feed to the washing machine from the hot t-piece to the cold t-piece & capping the hot t-piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Ok. There must be some kind of adapter on the Tee piece for the washing machine hose as they won't screw on to the brass fitting directly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

Ok. There must be some kind of adapter on the Tee piece for the washing machine hose as they won't screw on to the brass fitting directly.

Presumably there is a short piece of copper with a washing machine valve attached, so just disconnect from tee piece on hot and reconnect to tee piece on cold, and then put blank on hot tee piece end.

It’s actually (not sure of the name of it) a kind of semi flexible plastic pipe running from the t-piece to machine in adjacent room, seen it ran for electric showers before. To be honest didn’t take too much notice of how it is connected to the washing machine hose, as the issue was the machine being fed with roasting hot water, the result of a new oil boiler being installed plus it should have a cold feed anyway

All sorted now anyway

I’d love the house after the folks pass, great location but fcuk me you’d need very deep pockets to bring it up to scratch

Advertisement