Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to keep yourself in the top google searches

Options
  • 19-12-2020 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭

Say you are a dry cleaners for example in sligo town and you are in the top 3 google searches for a dry cleaners in sligo town. what are the best ways to keep yourself in the top 3? are reviews the most important thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Make a sex tape?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Make a sex tape?

Not adding anything useful with nonsense like this, don't post on the forum again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Axwell wrote: »
    Not adding anything useful with nonsense like this, don't post on the forum again.

How the jaysus was this “uncivil”? It would have done exactly what the OP wanted, and I don’t see anyone else offering advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Anyone with any real advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Anyone with any real advice?

Google SEO tips. Be easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭protelos

Well just one thing to note first off... staying onto it Google for some terms could be a full time job, so there is no quick wins in SEO sadly... it’s a long game plus Google changes the goalposts on a whim.

The first thing to remember is you are basically in a game with Google, so whatever their flavour of the month is you should dedicate more focus on. For example, they are aggressively monetizing YouTube now so are showing more video in thr search results, next month it might be Google my business... so you would have to focus more on that... like I said full time job.

More on this later, but you would need to get more refined in what you mean by getting on the first page of Google for a cleaner in Sligo. You will need to find out what exactly people are searching. “Cleaner near me”, “best cleaner in Sligo” etc etc. your on-site content should have these key phrases and words bakes in to the site throughout.

Ok so what to actually do, here is a list of things that I would focus on first:

1. Get your website seo ready. This means that your site ticks all the required boxes to warrant a Hugh ranking. Some things to have for sure would be: mobile responsive, ssl cert, Meta tiltes and meta descriptions

2. Set up a Google my business account and fill it out fully and also get a few reviews.

3. Get on a few other listing sites like Yelp or whatever and also add on the links to your website.

4. After you have done the basics you should be adding context relating to the terms people are searching to your site. This will want to be done in phases and show that you are putting effort into your site and you are also displaying relevant content to searchers. This is where you would sprinkle in those search terms.

Google has a free keyword research tool or you could use semrush.

If they is a lot you can also just pay for all that in ads too!

There is far more to it so happy to keep the conversation going.

protelos wrote: »
    Well just one thing to note first off... staying onto it Google for some terms could be a full time job, so there is no quick wins in SEO sadly... it’s a long game plus Google changes the goalposts on a whim.

The first thing to remember is you are basically in a game with Google, so whatever their flavour of the month is you should dedicate more focus on. For example, they are aggressively monetizing YouTube now so are showing more video in thr search results, next month it might be Google my business... so you would have to focus more on that... like I said full time job.

More on this later, but you would need to get more refined in what you mean by getting on the first page of Google for a cleaner in Sligo. You will need to find out what exactly people are searching. “Cleaner near me”, “best cleaner in Sligo” etc etc. your on-site content should have these key phrases and words bakes in to the site throughout.

Ok so what to actually do, here is a list of things that I would focus on first:

1. Get your website seo ready. This means that your site ticks all the required boxes to warrant a Hugh ranking. Some things to have for sure would be: mobile responsive, ssl cert, Meta tiltes and meta descriptions

2. Set up a Google my business account and fill it out fully and also get a few reviews.

3. Get on a few other listing sites like Yelp or whatever and also add on the links to your website.

4. After you have done the basics you should be adding context relating to the terms people are searching to your site. This will want to be done in phases and show that you are putting effort into your site and you are also displaying relevant content to searchers. This is where you would sprinkle in those search terms.

Thanks, yes I am glad to hear anymore tips you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭pnecilcaser

Agree with everything said here. Some really great advice from this person. Some other considerations:

Make sure all images on your site have an "alt" tag

For make sure the first H1 tag on your site contains the most relevant search terms.

I don't know what platform your website is on but if you use Wordpress you can install YOAST SEO as a plugin and it will guide you through getting every page of your site SEO optimised.

Get a .ie and .com version of your domain if you can and point the .ie to the .com

If you have a .com make sure its renewed on a minimum of 2-year basis rather than renewed once a year (Google's algorithm currently gives more weight to websites that demonstrate that they will be around longer)

Backlinks used to be a much bigger thing than they are now but Google changed the ranking system. They are still helpful to a much lesser degree, so if you can get any local websites to link to yours.

When you set up your Google My Business account set up an Google Analytics account too and install the code on your website (copy and paste it into the header section) - after a month you will be able to see where you traffic is coming from and what content they are looking at. (some of the traffic sources might surprise you)

But like the poster below says, paying for ads is very effective. You might be able to get a TRADING ONLINE VOUCHER from your Local Enterprise Board to cover some of the costs of advertising.

--

protelos wrote: »

some great advice again pnecilcaser, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Great advice above but I'll add one more, don't pay anyone unless you can afford it, they are working to measurable goals you understand AND they have worked in your industry before. There are plenty of people who will promise you the moon for the low, low price of €1000/month or whatever. Most of them are complete shills, others are just working off a checklist. There is a big difference in advertising a laundry versus a barber for example.

Everything and I means everything, you need to know can be learned for free if you are willing to put in the time. Likewise, depending on your site, there are ample free and low-cost plugins that can do the bulk of the optimisation for you.

• Advertisement

ironclaw wrote: »
    Great advice above but I'll add one more, don't pay anyone unless you can afford it, they are working to measurable goals you understand AND they have worked in your industry before. There are plenty of people who will promise you the moon for the low, low price of €1000/month or whatever. Most of them are complete shills, others are just working off a checklist. There is a big difference in advertising a laundry versus a barber for example.

Everything and I means everything, you need to know can be learned for free if you are willing to put in the time. Likewise, depending on your site, there are ample free and low-cost plugins that can do the bulk of the optimisation for you.

I don't have the time or IT brain to do the work myself really, I will probably have to pay someone to do this for me. I have trusted family in IT who might help me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Sounds mad but do a few blog articles about popular searches that people would make to find a drycleaners on Google. Things like 'Sligo's best dry cleaning service' or 'fast dry cleaning in Sligo' or 'Dry Cleaners near me in Sligo'.

If these are done properly the blog articles would probably get onto page 1 in 3 or 4 months. You need to have a great CTA on the blogs so that people that click onto the blog page will then click on the CTA to go to your website. These need to be done properly by someone that knows what they're at.

And before people jump in, I know no-one wants to read a blog on dry cleaning but it is pretty likely to be highly relevant to Google. Will also help you natural SEO.

Also make a few YouTube and facebook videos, optimised for SEO and with search terms similar to what I wrote above.

Make sure all alt tags on images are seo optimised and that your website is built for mobile primarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Also a word of warning about setting up a google my business. Once you have a profile set up all reviews will be public and it is extremely difficult to get the profile deleted if needed.

Advertisement