Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Football Championship Final 2020 Mayo v Dublin MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,248 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

kilns wrote: »
    Mayo can have no real complaints today. They carried no threat from play going forward relying on frees and marks for their scores, Dublin were comfortable defending against them. If Mayo carried a bigger threat it could have been different as Dublin were not that good today

That tactic seemed to be where they fûcked themselves up...

Never looked like scoring a goal. Marked and slowed themselves down....The Dublin half back line were phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭RoryMac

pjohnson wrote: »
    It does amuse me when ya see some dubs fans trying to act like winning is an actual achievement :pac:

I'm from Dublin and not really a fan of GAA but I never miss this thread, it is starting to get repetitive now though.

Every ref for the last 6 years has favoured Dublin, every foul by a Dublin player should be a black, yellow or red, every foul against a Dublin player is a dive. Dublin player gets punched, well he obviously did something to deserve it.

It's up there with the Toy Show thread for comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Dessie Farrell talks some amount of s****

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Congrats to Dublin on their 6 in a row.
    Hard luck to Mayo.
    Happy Christmas to ye all and best wishes for the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

RoryMac wrote: »
    I'm from Dublin and not really a fan of GAA but I never miss this thread, it is starting to get repetitive now though.

Every ref for the last 6 years has favoured Dublin, every foul by a Dublin player should be a black, yellow or red, every foul against a Dublin player is a dive. Dublin player gets punched, well he obviously did something to deserve it.

It's up there with the Toy Show thread for comedy

It's the throwing your toys out of the Sam thread.

Great to read all the comments of hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Strumms wrote: »
    I’m touching a nice cold drink, relaxing and basking in a very great achievement, good victory, smiles all around.. :)

A very great achievement 😂😂😂. With the advantages Dublin enjoy, not winning would be an embarrassment. Super players, outstanding athletes but 20% of the population of the entire island and huge funding imbalances inevitably results in domination.

Dublin are going to win around 90% of All Irelands until changes are made. That’s life.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Dublin are going to win around 90% of All Irelands until changes are made. That’s life.

So what changes would you like to see made?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Eamon_ wrote: »
    That Scully lad is a disgrace.

O Connor comes in with an open hand hitting the ball and Scully goes down like he was shot.

Rumour has it AIG agreed to pay an extra million to the Dubs for every Scully Spin©

Misguided1 wrote: »
    Congrats to Dublin. Managed the game brilliantly when down to 14 men. A class team and deserved winners. Great effort from Mayo. Lacked ideas in the second half and Dublin are too good at closing out a game (brutal to watch but it works).

That’s an aspect of Dublin play that doesn’t often get mentioned...

Down to 14, they manage the ball and game so well... they have the intelligence to play low risk football...mind the ball. Just keep finding each other, simple passes.... that ability and want to work for each other....brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Rumour has it AIG agreed to pay an extra million to the Dubs for every Scully Spin©

Thats AIG filing for bankruptcy so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Dessie Farrell talks some amount of s****

something about Farrell i really dont like

cant put my finger on it , comes across as very fake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭crossman47

A very great achievement ������. With the advantages Dublin enjoy, not winning would be an embarrassment. Super players, outstanding athletes but 20% of the population of the entire island and huge funding imbalances inevitably results in domination.

They will and the game is becoming irrelevant to everyone else. I turned it off with ten minutes to go. You can admire them but you couldn't like them. Boring, repetitive recycling. Hurling is going down the same route with Limerick but at least thats a more level playing field. Galway, Tipp or Waterford could take them next year.

I've never liked Kerry because they always claimed to be pure footballers when they were as cynical as anyone but I hope they put in a challenge next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

People's comments about Stephen Cluxton shows how little they know about him.He has been like this all through his career. The greatest goalkeeper
    in the history of Gaelic Football.
    I am not from Dublin.

I have huge respect for Cluxton as a player,i know he's always been like that and I don't dispute the fact he's the greatest goalkeeper ever.

It doesn't change the fact that he speech was flat as a pancake and a little excitement or emotion would be more enjoyable to listen to.

It's the throwing your toys out of the Sam thread.

Great to read all the comments of hurt.

Its better to read the ones celebrating the "achievement" tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Congrats to Dublin on their 6 in a row.
    Hard luck to Mayo.
    Happy Christmas to ye all and best wishes for the new year

This is a post I can get behind.

Happy Christmas to you

• Registered Users Posts: 25,565 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I have huge respect for Cluxton as a player,i know he's always been like that and I don't dispute the fact he's the greatest goalkeeper ever.

It doesn't change the fact that he speech was flat as a pancake and a little excitement or emotion would be more enjoyable to listen to.

TBH most winning speeches are crap its just we only remember the good ones

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

That's the first GAA football match I've watched all year and one of a very few I've seen in the past 3 or 4 having given up paying in to see Laois on the receiving end of yet another beating every other week in the league or championship.
    I felt that this was a close game, as you'd expect from a final and it was competitive up to the final 5 to 10 minutes or so. Credit to Mayo for coming back after the horror start and remaining unphased but ultimately there was only ever going to be one winner.
    These days I'm in awe of the athleticism of the big brutes of men who line up to play and I tip my cap to both sides, but to me it no longer feels like a game of skill and is more like a survival of the fittest. Congrats to Dublin for yet another victory and commiserations to Mayo for just not having enough to match them. Maybe next time.
    As for the spectacle? I'm not sure it has convinced me to watch again next year but each to their own. Thank god for the hurling!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

Strumms wrote: »
    That’s an aspect of Dublin play that doesn’t often get mentioned...

Down to 14, they manage the ball and game so well... they have the intelligence to play low risk football...mind the ball. Just keep finding each other, simple passes.... that ability and want to work for each other....brilliant.

Something they should thank Mark Ingle for. He's the professional basketball coach they hired. It's like playing basketball without the shot clock. Of course, the movement and strategies in attack and defence are influenced by his coaching as well. It's the kind of thing you can invest in when you have millions of euro at your disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

With the exception of Fenton and Con I think Niall Scully is a real ambassador for this Dublin team, no risks, no personality, very little character, just a footballer/ handballer that looks like he was programmed on a computer, soulless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

So do Dublin have a chance of making the final in 7 months time?

• Advertisement

You are a captain because you are a leader. Leaders lead by example, by doing, by setting standards, meeting them, raising the bar and demanding others follow suit.

Somebody who is a brilliant and passionate orator is not a leader... lead by doing not saying...

With the exception of Fenton and Con I think Niall Scully is a real ambassador for this Dublin team, no risks, no personality, very little character, just a footballer/ handballer that looks like he was programmed on a computer, soulless.

You forgot his beautiful acrobatics and rapid recovery from near fatal injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Thanks for the bitterness , it balanced out the sweet sweet feeling of 6 in a row.

Next up first team to win 2 all irelands in 7 months!

747 !

pjohnson wrote: »
    You forgot his beautiful acrobatics and rapid recovery from near fatal injuries.

It was fairly bad, five points up in injury time and still doing his best for an oscar :o

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Parentalunit

STB. wrote: »
    Must kill the rest of the country that they cannot string out an equally skillful and fit team to beat them.

If you think any Dub gives one shíte what the rest of the Country thinks you're sadly mistaken.

They were in the wilderness between 1995 and 2011 and now all the culchies are up in arms because they are dominant having put together the best squad of all time. LOL

It doesn't kill me, it doesn't bother me at all to be honest but I have absolutely no time for Dubliners that refer to other counties' teams and supporters as "culchies", what's more it devalues what you're saying. Surely you're able to counter people's arguments without resorting to name-calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

So what changes would you like to see made?

The only option is to make 3/4 teams out of Dublin, you would need to dig into the demographics to have an idea of what would work.

Failing that Dublin will continue to cruise to All Ireland victories, they will lose a very rare one when a freak happens (two sending offs or two penalties and one sending off etc). Even a sending off with forty minutes left last year wasn’t enough for Kerry to get over the line.

Crowds will continue to decline as we have seen in recent years with less than 40k at Leinster finals and 45k at all Ireland semi finals when ten years ago they were all sold out. Even die hard football people have little interest in spending a few hundred euro going to Dublin to see an inevitable thrashing. It’s the continued drop in crowds and revenue that will eventually cause changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

It doesn't kill me, it doesn't bother me at all to be honest but I have absolutely no time for Dubliners that refer to other counties' teams and supporters as "culchies", what's more it devalues what you're saying. Surely you're able to counter people's arguments without resorting to name-calling.
    the stuff from Dr David Hickey today and Gilroy a couple of weeks ago shows how insecure they are deep down and the fix they're profiting from.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Faugheen wrote: »
    Con O’Callaghan should go to hurling now. Go out and prove you’re the best in the country and try win Dublin a hurling All-Ireland.
    I agree, I heard C Kilkenny and Costello are decent hurlers too, if they switched codes would the talk of us being split subside, I'd love us to win Liam or is the Guinness getting to my brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 revelino70

True, he should have handed over the speech to someone in the squad with a bit more passion in their speech, but that's cluxton for you- methodical to a fault. I bet his students are A grades all the way ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The only option is to make 3/4 teams out of Dublin, you would need to dig into the demographics to have an idea of what would work.

Failing that Dublin will continue to cruise to All Ireland victories, they will lose a very rare one when a freak happens (two sending offs or two penalties and one sending off etc). Even a sending off with forty minutes left last year wasn’t enough for Kerry to get over the line.

And yet that doesn't happen in hurling, despite pulling from the same demographics.

I agree that the GAA should take action but that should be helping other counties to improve so that they can challenge Dublin, not dragging Dublin down to the levels of others.

Advertisement