Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Football Championship Final 2020 Mayo v Dublin MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭dobman88

When will the 2020 championship thread be reopened. This thread is just turning into the usual nonsense. Mental that the other thread was closed for those of us who have no interest in reading this shìte

• Registered Users Posts: 25,248 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No but it sounds like I touched a nerve with you there with my critique. Why would I expect him to be concerned, hes hardly on boards at this moment in time?

No nerve touched :D I’m too busy celebrating ;). As I’d imagine he is. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

And yet that doesn't happen in hurling, despite pulling from the same demographics.

I agree that the GAA should take action but that should be helping other counties to improve so that they can challenge Dublin, not dragging Dublin down to the levels of others.

Dublin were knocked out of the Leinster Hurling Championship in 2005 by Westmeath. Last year, they knocked out back to back All Ireland finalists Galway. They have won their first ever League and first Leinster title in 50 odd years.

They had never won a Leinster club title. A Dublin club has since won back to back All Irelands.

They were getting hammered at juvenile level, last night they gave Wexford a hiding at U20 Leinster semi final and have been competitive at all underage levels for a fair while.

Dublin hurling has been transformed which is very welcome, but Dublin hurling started at a far far lower base without the same tradition, it hasn’t resulted in domination but Dublin very likely to win All Ireland in next ten to fifteen years and will likely become one of the perennial contenders like KK, Tipp, etc which is good as long it doesn’t lead to domination also.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 revelino70

the stuff from Dr David Hickey today and Gilroy a couple of weeks ago shows how insecure they are deep down.

TBH, the refereeing in today's match and quite a few others feeds the whole dublin v country thing. Dublin often have lumps taken out of them with no penalty while Ger Canning and McStay ignore it. Dublins physicality is highlighted a lot more often than their hale and hearty country brethren. It's all part of the 'true Gael' bull**** that sees Dublin as being something less than Irish. You'll see it in hurling too...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

In this crazy year we were never going to have a memorable championship. Teams couldn't be expected to train or focus properly. It was going to be a bit of a lottery giving a great opportunity to also rans. Nice to see Tipp and Cavan emerge, but in the absence of Kerry, Cork, Donegal and Tyrone they were going to be lambs to the slaughter.
    I don't favour breaking up Dublin. Teams have dominated before and have come and gone.
    The counties are the cornerstone of the GAA, and once you tamper with them where does it end? Corofin against Kildare in an All-Ireland final, assisted by three Mayomen and two Dubs drafted in? Just like soccer and rugby? Do you want that?
    Sadly money is a bigger factor than it used to be. Maybe some levelling of central disbursements is called for. The GAA favours Dublin because of its huge population, but do they take into account the fact that a very big proportion of Dubs inevitably will not participate because of counter-attractions that don't exist in other counties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

Strumms wrote: »
    No nerve touched :D I’m too busy celebrating ;). As I’d imagine he is. :D

Too busy celebrating yet you're on boards replying to posts, typical Dublin fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,248 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Too busy celebrating yet you're on boards replying to posts, typical Dublin fan.

I know, didn’t manage to get a ticket this year. Gutted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

And yet that doesn't happen in hurling, despite pulling from the same demographics.

I agree that the GAA should take action but that should be helping other counties to improve so that they can challenge Dublin, not dragging Dublin down to the levels of others.

Can you tell me what other county can spend 2 million per year on wages and salaries? What other county gets 1 million per year from their main sponsor alone? What other county got a 2 decade head start and were given between 1.3 and 1.8 million every year to pay for coaches to improve standards in clubs across their county?

Do you want to give other counties this amount of money to try to get up to Dublin's level? That isn't feasible at all. The only solution is to split Dublin as they are the only county out of line with others in terms of spending, resources available etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭doc_17

What a disappointing spectacle.
    If I’d know the GAA were so bent against anyone else winning I wouldn’t have not been in my sheebin

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

revelino70 wrote: »
    TBH, the refereeing in today's match and quite a few others feeds the whole dublin v country thing. Dublin often have lumps taken out of them with no penalty while Ger Canning and McStay ignore it. Dublins physicality is highlighted a lot more often than their hale and hearty country brethren. It's all part of the 'true Gael' bull**** that sees Dublin as being something less than Irish. You'll see it in hurling too...

lol

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    I know, didn’t manage to get a ticket this year. Gutted ;)

You probably only get the one ticket every year anyways I'd say. For the final of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well done Dublin.

Best team to ever grace a GAA pitch.

Not much to be said to Mayo fans, yer well used to the beatings now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

doc_17 wrote: »
    What a disappointing spectacle.
    If I’d know the GAA were so bent against anyone else winning I wouldn’t have not been in my sheebin

That was head and shoulders above the hurling final

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Good way to guage which team is more up for it is the kickouts. Mayo absolutely dominated from kickouts. And they still got comfortably beaten. Dublin in second gear against a team that somehow found themselves in a final questionable circumstances. Can only imagine what would've happened if both were at full pelt

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

At least it was better than the hurling final.

Slattsy wrote: »

True, but I was hoping for the same intensity like in the '16 and '17 finals. Maybe it was the lack of crowd though. Mayo didnt seem to have the same hunger though like in previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

True, but I was hoping for the same intensity like in the '16 and '17 finals. Maybe it was the lack of crowd though. Mayo didnt seem to have the same hunger though like in previous years.

The crowd makes a massive difference.

There was lots of intensity, Mayo were fantastic first half. Dublin just grind you down...

revelino70 wrote: »

Yeah, a full frontal shoulder into the chest is a fair challenge after all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I never got the feeling at any stage watching the game other than a Dublin win, even when they were level or just a point between them. There just doesn't appear to be any conviction in Mayo winning a final ever.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Good way to guage which team is more up for it is the kickouts. Mayo absolutely dominated from kickouts. And they still got comfortably beaten. Dublin in second gear against a team that somehow found themselves in a final questionable circumstances. Can only imagine what would've happened if both were at full pelt

Dublin are the best team in the country by a distance, but for long periods they were not allowed bring their A game. Experience from the likes of McCarthy, J Small and Kilkenny in the end told, however I think there is an opportunity to get at this Dublin team over the next couple of years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭C__MC

A good first half but dublins big men came to the fore in the second half
    Howard, con, ck , byrne
    With their fitness levels ,they comfortably ran out winners

I have to say it was a poor championship bar cavan and tipp wins, wasnt to many decent games, tonight was a very poor final as well

Kerry still probably the only team equipped to beat Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I had a feeling mayo would win today without the crowd.like a buzzy racehorse who is blinkered and ear plugs in they run a different race.
    Wasn’t the case though and Dublin pulled away when needed to.
    Hard luck to Mayo and congrats to the dubs

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DFS UTD

and what about Aidan O'Shea falling to the ground at every small contact like some giant sequoia!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

There was lots of intensity, Mayo were fantastic first half. Dublin just grind you down...

There were still 2 points down at half time after playing well in the first half. It was always a futile effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I never got the feeling at any stage watching the game other than a Dublin win, even when they were level or just a point between them. There just doesn't appear to be any conviction in Mayo winning a final ever.

They would need to have been 6 or 7 points ahead going into the last 15. There was never a chance of that after they conceded the goals in the first half so the game just played out to its inevitable conclusion. Dubs were never in any real danger and Mayos fate was sealed when they make little gain with the extra man.

Thats true in Mayo's case and thats not criticism. Fair enough, but what I saw this evening did not excite me as a Mayo fan compared to previous finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭SophieLockhart

Slattsy wrote: »

ffs the hurling was an exhibition of pure quality for anyone who had eyes to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Well done Dublin on winning the 2020 WWE All Ireland title.

Thats true in Mayo's case and thats not criticism. Fair enough, but what I saw this evening did not excite me as a Mayo fan compared to previous finals.
    I know what you mean but at least Mayo had a good go at them and kept the score close.

Would have loved if Mayo could've rattled them, just to prompt them into taking risks but Dublin never looked like losing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

C__MC wrote: »
    A good first half but dublins big men came to the fore in the second half
    Howard, con, ck , byrne
    With their fitness levels ,they comfortably ran out winners

I have to say it was a poor championship bar cavan and tipp wins, wasnt to many decent games, tonight was a very poor final as well

Kerry still probably the only team equipped to beat Dublin

Kerry aren’t equipped to beat Dublin. 15 vs 15 they might be able to come close but Dublin bring on subs of equal ability as the starters whereas Kerry do not. Anyway, look forward to the same discussions next September when seven is done.

Advertisement