Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Football Championship Final 2020 Mayo v Dublin MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

blanch152 wrote: »
    Routine win for Dublin. Two goals were killer blows.

2-10 from play is difficult to beat in any match, even when a referee misses as much as today.

The young players for Mayo were good today. Unfortunately, there is a nasty culture within this Mayo team led by the O’Connor brothers and O’Shea, all could have seen black or red today. They dive, they cheat, they commit nasty fouls. It will keep them in a game, as it did today, but it is a culture that accepts inferiority, a losing culture. The Dublin team from 1995 to 2010 had a culture of playing nice football, but like the current Mayo culture, it wasn’t a winning culture.
    With all due respect, Dublin did exactly the same today! Dublin are not above that.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,601 ✭✭✭✭walshb

dobman88 wrote: »
    Well that's a foolish way to look at it. Why would you take scores away from a team. Take away the 2nd goal too. Mayo win by 1. Means **** all

The point I was making was that sometimes scores can flatter..

16 scores vs 15 today.

Quite a close game...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Routine win for Dublin. Two goals were killer blows.

2-10 from play is difficult to beat in any match, even when a referee misses as much as today.

The young players for Mayo were good today. Unfortunately, there is a nasty culture within this Mayo team led by the O’Connor brothers and O’Shea, all could have seen black or red today. They dive, they cheat, they commit nasty fouls. It will keep them in a game, as it did today, but it is a culture that accepts inferiority, a losing culture. The Dublin team from 1995 to 2010 had a culture of playing nice football, but like the current Mayo culture, it wasn’t a winning culture.

Did you actually just have a go at mayo for diving?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

walshb wrote: »

16 scores vs 15 today.

Quite a close game...

It really wasn't. Any game that's all over with 15 minutes left is not a close game.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,388 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

kilns wrote: »
    I think the main difference between the teams is football intelligence and that comes with the confidence of winning. Mayo made some very very poor decisions today, how many poor decisions could you say Dublin made?

Yes i agree. Ok dublin man for man mor talent but ...100% game managment.... they killed the game expertly... mayo were pretty much always in arrears which meant they needed to take risks.... Dublin minded that ball like it was a cheque for a million euros... intent on not letting Mayo get it.... valuing possession to enable scoring and to not allow Mayo score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

walshb wrote: »

16 scores vs 15 today.

Quite a close game...

I understand how the scores work alright. They're there to decide the outcome of a game.

16-15 wasnt the end result tho. And to make that comparison is just nonsensical.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,601 ✭✭✭✭walshb

robbiezero wrote: »
    It really wasn't. Any game that's all over with 15 minutes left is not a close game.

Yes. I agree with that. They did stretch the lead..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Good chance Dublin will catch Kerry record now by 2030

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I think Mayo did well today against a Dublin team who are professional, while they are amateur. They competed as best they could for much of the match. The reality is Dublin were never going to lose & they need to be split into a least 2, if not more. Allow other players in their club setup to play at County level.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,868 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Did you actually just have a go at mayo for diving?

Dive for the black card, O’Shea dived for at least one free, as for the O’Connor brothers, they would do nothing if you were allowed tackle them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

piplip87 wrote: »
    Dublin play the blanket defence like other team has. There possession based play while very is effective it's doing far more damage to the game than say the Donegal blanket. Jesus it's so boring to watch. Now saying that well done to Dublin an absolute phenomenal team and deserving champions.

You do understand why they do that possession based play. It's a basketball influenced play to drag blanket defences out of position until you can strike, Mayo were trying it too but couldn't execute it well enough

Unfortunately, there is a nasty culture within this Mayo team led by the O’Connor brothers and O’Shea, all could have seen black or red today. They dive, they cheat, they commit nasty fouls.

On the diving Niall Scully and John Small say hello and on the nasty fouls Mick Fitzsimmons and Johnny Cooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭PressRun

Not going to get into the debates here, but congrats to the Dubs. Have always been open about my admiration for their side and management on this sub. Nothing changing there. Love their team and their set up. Obviously not one of the current favourites but Kev Mc is still maybe my favourite player of all time haha. Just think he is maybe the most exciting and dynamic player I've ever watched. A credit to the county.

But still immensely proud of this young Mayo team. Thought Oisin Mullin had a great day and we need to keep him in Mayo. Diarmuid O'Connor did trojan work too. Ruane as well did a great job. Plenty to be optimistic about and its honestly the least downbeat I've felt after a final. This final was probably a year or two too early for this team and I think most Mayo people knew that. I am happy with where this team is going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

I think Mayo did well today against a Dublin team who are professional, while they are amateur. They competed as best they could for much of the match. The reality is Dublin were never going to lose & they need to be split into a least 2, if not more. Allow other players in their club setup to play at County level.

Yeah it was men playing against boys in the lsst 15,can't wait for Mayo to work on their fitness levels and panel to get them up to Dublins level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Good chance Dublin will catch Kerry record now by 2030

7 behind now in roll of honour. I think Dublin will need another period of domination to catch them. Kerry will come good again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Difference in the quality of the subs that came on a big factor.

B Howard
    P Mannion
    C Basquel
    C Costello
    P McMahon

M Plunkett
    J Carr
    D Coen
    J Flynn
    J Durcan

Dive for the black card, O’Shea dived for at least one free, as for the O’Connor brothers, they would do nothing if you were allowed tackle them.

I take it you saw fitzsimmons batter keegan straight in the chest? Scully and small rolling about (and the wing back in the under 20s, its inter generational at this stage)?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,388 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

O’Shea takes diving to a new level, he’ll be teaching it at the community games down there... might give him a room in Knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

PressRun wrote: »
    Not going to get into the debates here, but congrats to the Dubs. Have always been open about my admiration for their side and management on this sub. Nothing changing there. Love their team and their set up. Obviously not one of the current favourites but Kev Mc is still maybe my favourite player of all time haha. Just think he is maybe the most exciting and dynamic player I've ever watched. A credit to the county.

But still immensely proud of this young Mayo team. Thought Oisin Mullin had a great day and we need to keep him in Mayo. Diarmuid O'Connor did trojan work too. Ruane as well did a great job. Plenty to be optimistic about and its honestly the least downbeat I've felt after a final. This final was probably a year or two too early for this team and I think most Mayo people knew that. I am happy with where this team is going.

Absolutely
    I think that Mayo showed that Dublin can be challenged. Going a goal down inside a minute and coming back and competing show to me this Mayo team and all Mayo teams from 2012 are up there in the greatest discussions, just because Mayo have not won an AI does not detract from their ability to compete.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Difference in the quality of the subs that came on a big factor.

B Howard
    P Mannion
    C Basquel
    C Costello
    P McMahon

M Plunkett
    J Carr
    D Coen
    J Flynn
    J Durcan

Howard and to a lesser extent mannion were the difference off the bench. The rest were much of a muchness in influence. Plunkett was also an enforced change, not tactical as mayos best attacking defender was replaced( P Durkin had very little influence from the start -possibly carrying an injury as did not notice him pull up?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

How many scores from play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

Lots of talk about how well Oisin Mullins played today but I though defensively he was weak. His man turned him every time. Open to correction here but I though he was out of his depth

kilns wrote: »
    How many scores from play?

2-10 from Dublin I think, the margin of victory much greater on that basis. Mayo got a number of soft frees.

Misguided1 wrote: »
    Lots of talk about how well Oisin Mullins played today but I though defensively he was weak. His man turned him every time. Open to correction here but I though he was out of his depth

He is a great talent. Further out the field in the long term I think. You got to remember his man for most of the match was Con O’Callaghan, a generational talent

2-10 from Dublin I think, the margin of victory much greater on that basis. Mayo got a number of soft frees.

Frees not being worth as much of course. Examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

He is a great talent. Further out the field in the long term I think. You got to remember his man for most of the match was Con O’Callaghan, a generational talent

Totally agree. He was marking one of the best forwards of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

A talent for sure but I don’t think he held his man so don’t see the big performance today. As an attacking defender, definitely brings something but just not sure about him in defence. Hope to be proven wrong as he develops

Frees not being worth as much of course. Examples?

Someone else asked about scores from play, have a go at them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I take it you saw fitzsimmons batter keegan straight in the chest? Scully and small rolling about (and the wing back in the under 20s, its inter generational at this stage)?

At the least that was a yellow, if not a red, but he’s a big unit and was diving a dropping whenever he could, crucially minutes before that which probably influenced the ref not to card fitzsimons.

Awful tackle though, no shoulder to shoulder contact whatsoever and if O Shea wasn’t as big it could’ve been a serious head injury/broken jaw. Fitzsimons is not a player I would rate as being ‘elegant’ or particularly skilful, just a bit of an experienced, reliable and get the job done player...definitely not deliberate in my mind.

• Advertisement

Someone else asked about scores from play, have a go at them!

What were the soft frees you referred to? Maybe when fitzsimmons shouldered keegen straight into the chest

Advertisement