Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Football Championship Final 2020 Mayo v Dublin MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Was the ball not won under pressure to create the mark? Con O Callaghan and Cillian O Connor were joint highest scorers from play today

Its one thing winning a ball under pressure it's another then with that possession scoring

I am sure you can admit Mayo struggled going forward? It's not a dig it's a criticism and something that needs improving the reliance on OShea and OConnor needs to end for them to push on

• Registered Users Posts: 27,868 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Was the ball not won under pressure to create the mark? Con O Callaghan and Cillian O Connor were joint highest scorers from play today

Frees are won under pressure too, but like marks, they are not scores from play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Mayo wilted badly in the 15

Cillian OConnor scored 2 points from play

blanch152 wrote: »
    At the moment, yes, it takes foul means to beat Dublin. Mayo are the best at it, but don’t offer enough elsewhere. Dublin were by far the better team today.

None must be the answer to my question then.

Mayo over performed on their current development cycle and Dublin under performed. That does not mean foul means were at play in keeping it close for 60 minutes

• Advertisement

In no way does o Connor carry the same threat as con or the top forwards

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Are marks not scores created from play?

And again, no one has given an an example of a free for Mayo as a result of diving.

Ye are the best team in the country, by far. Can no one come within 12 points of ye by having a reasonable performance and only do so through foul means?

Are frees not scores created from play also then? Both dead balls.

Lack of scoring ability with current Mayo squad, they do what they have to in order to compensate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Nah a score from play is when the game is on, not when the game is stopped for a free or a mark. Doesn't matter anyway.

• Advertisement

C__MC wrote: »
    In no way does o Connor carry the same threat as con or the top forwards

Who does carry the threat of Con? O’Connors scoring record matches anyone. It’s like some just don’t want to celebrate their win and their great team. They also want to denigrate anyone else who deigns to put up any sort of challenge

kilns wrote: »
    You can't count 2 marks as scores from play, really????

Why not?

Cillian OConnor scored 2 points from play

That means Rock, O’Callaghan and Kilkenny all scored more from play.

9 players scored from Dublin, 6 from Mayo.

Those two facts are the difference. Add to that, Aidan O’Shea finished without a score in another All-Ireland final. Ditto Diarmuid O’Connor who only had negativity to offer.

Still, the Mayo pipeline looks good. Get rid of a few more who are used to losing All-Ireland finals and replace with young lads and things might get better.

Why not?

Oh come on you know that answer, this is silly

Who does carry the threat of Con? O’Connors scoring record matches anyone. It’s like some just don’t want to celebrate those win and their great team. They also want to denigrate anyone else who deigns to put up any sort of challenge

O’Connor scores frees, but not to the level of Dean Rock. He scores from play, but not against important teams in important matches unlike the likes of Kilkenny, Mannion and O’Callaghan, not to mention Brogan, Connolly and McMenamin.

The likes of Clifford are also streets ahead off him. In the Dublin team, he would be a squad member, only getting a game if Rock and Costello were injured and/or off-form. Just not good enough is my verdict on him.

Oh come on you know that answer, this is silly

Look at all 3 Mayo scores from marks and tell me they were not a result of good, creative play.

But ultimately what is going on here is a need that some seem to have to rubbish anyone who rubbish any effort to challenge Dublin. COC got two great scores from play.Won two great marks to get two more, kicked 5 of 6 frees. An excellent performance, yet there is a bizarre reluctance to admit anyone else can play well, and then to rubbish anyone who suggests they may have played well.

Dublin are a great team, far superior to Mayo. Other players can play well though

Look at all 3 Mayo scores from marks and tell me they were not a result of good, creative play.

But ultimately what is going on here is a need that some seem to have to rubbish anyone who rubbish any effort to challenge Dublin. COC got two great scores from play.Won two great marks to get two more, kicked 5 of 6 frees. An excellent performance, yet there is a bizarre reluctance to admit anyone else can play well, and then to rubbish anyone who suggests they may have played well.

Dublin are a great team, far superior to Mayo. Other players can play well though

You really need to take your red and green glasses off. I don't think anyone in Gaelic Football would call converting a mark a score from play. End of discussion. This is silly

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The mark needs to go

As does palming the ball into the net from a handpass

I hate that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

But ultimately what is going on here is a need that some seem to have to rubbish anyone who rubbish any effort to challenge Dublin.

Don't think anyone from Dublin is rubbishing anything other than anyone who denies the fact that they were by far the better team on the day, though Mayo had a good first half
    That good first half still saw them trailing going into the break.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Cluxton is a class act, interview here on TSG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

lawred2 wrote: »
    The mark needs to go

I hate that

Add fisting the ball over the bar to that list too.

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Cluxton is a class act, interview here on TSG.

The most influential GAA player ever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

blanch152 wrote: »
    O’Connor scores frees, but not to the level of Dean Rock. He scores from play, but not against important teams in important matches unlike the likes of Kilkenny, Mannion and O’Callaghan, not to mention Brogan, Connolly and McMenamin.

The likes of Clifford are also streets ahead off him. In the Dublin team, he would be a squad member, only getting a game if Rock and Costello were injured and/or off-form. Just not good enough is my verdict on him.

Which arguably says a lot. The marquee forward, main man of the Mayo team, the second best team in the country this year wouldn't even make the first team in Dublin. Pretty fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭threeball

lawred2 wrote: »
    The mark needs to go

I hate that

It can take the fisted point with it. A blight on the game.

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    Which arguably says a lot. The marquee forward, main man of the Mayo team, the second best team in the country this year wouldn't even make the first team in Dublin. Pretty fair point.

Dublin must have played absolutely ****e to only win by 5 points and concede 15 against a team without a forward who could get near their team

Dublin must have played absolutely ****e to only win by 5 points and concede 15 against a team without a forward who could get near their team

To be fair COC would not get in a starting Dublin 15 but as shown before Mayo are more than the sum of their parts and that's reason they can compete for all irelands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Well they certainly didn't play great. First team didn't pull away from Mayo at all, only at the end when the subs came on and Mayo legs were tired.

To be fair COC would not get in a starting Dublin 15 but as shown before Mayo are more than the sum of their parts and that's reason they can compete for all irelands

I my view he is a better all round player than Dean Rock while being a small bit inferior on frees. Scoring record in All Ireland Series matches is higher than his average against all team also, which is the highest of all time.

Dublin can be the greatest team of all time, while good players play on other teams

I my view he is a better all round player than Dean Rock while being a small bit inferior on frees. Scoring record in All Ireland Series matches is higher than his average against all team also, which is the highest of all time.

Dublin can be the greatest team of all time, while good players play on other teams

Nobody said there are not good players on other teams. david Clifford is probably the best forward in the game now. Keegan in his day was a serious player, Higgins too. I understand your loyalty to COC however but will have to agree to disagree as one has more composure than the other

• Advertisement

theguzman wrote: »
    Dublin have achieved nothing, was Lance Armstrong the greatest Cyclist of all time?

The Dublin players have achieved everything they have on their ability and hard work. If they have logistical and financial advantages, it’s not down to the players who have faced every challenge posed to them and it’s up to others to catch up

Advertisement