Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Football Championship Final 2020 Mayo v Dublin MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

When a poster compares the Dublin performance to that of Lance Armstrong you know they have a view that may be of the tinted variety.

Jizique wrote: »
    They may be, but they are all living in the county - would love to see how they would perform if forced to work in Waterford, Kerry and Donegal and make it back for training five days a week

Maybe so. Some put Cillian O’Connor’s rejuvenation from injuries that have plagued him for the past few years down to the fact he has been working from home in Mayo for much of the year. But short of paying players what can be done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FinglasFollain

Not doubting COC’s ability (I don’t like him due to what he’s up to off the ball and late hits etc - he’s not the only one, I know), I do have to concede he’s right up there forward wise, I’d have him ahead of Costello myself, still would take Rock over him but personal choice.

Scored a lot today when Mayo were on top, quiet second half. Big question, do teams who rely on the marquee forward fare well usually? By that I mean when well over half your scores are coming from one player, is that actually a good thing? Is it hindering others development? It’s great for him personally, does it work well for a team as a whole?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭1wizards sleeve

blanch152 wrote: »
    O’Connor scores frees, but not to the level of Dean Rock. He scores from play, but not against important teams in important matches unlike the likes of Kilkenny, Mannion and O’Callaghan, not to mention Brogan, Connolly and McMenamin.

The likes of Clifford are also streets ahead off him. In the Dublin team, he would be a squad member, only getting a game if Rock and Costello were injured and/or off-form. Just not good enough is my verdict on him.

Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

blanch152 wrote: »
    Dive for the black card, O’Shea dived for at least one free, as for the O’Connor brothers, they would do nothing if you were allowed tackle them.

What about the Dublin dives? Absolutely pathetic carry on. High tackle on neck, rolling around pretending he got punched in face. Throwing their legs up in the air when they're tackled. Sickening premier league like behaviour. I can't understand why either as dublin were cruising. No need for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Wonder how long before we'll have the pleasure of seeing the trophy out and about... schools.. clubs.. pubs etc.. not long i hope.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    What about the Dublin dives? Absolutely pathetic carry on. High tackle on neck, rolling around pretending he got punched in face. Throwing their legs up in the air when they're tackled. Sickening premier league like behaviour. I can't understand why either as dublin were cruising. No need for it.

Two 'tackles' were actually strikes up around the neck/jaw...around the neck or jaw in any game and the victim will be hitting the deck... Mayo were dirty and only incompetant refereeing enabled them to finish with 15 on the park.. :)

Dubs are of no obligation to stay on their feet when assaulted... on the pitch or when assaulted in the tunnel

Dublin loose games every year to.. the league ok. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭eggy81

Fair play to the dubs they’ve reached a stage where they don’t need to play spectacularly well to win. Their know how in situations in games in unbelievable. They might do 10 in a row. Up to the other big counties now to really kick in and chase them down. Everything in sport runs in cycles. It won’t last forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Most dead All Ireland final after the first 13 seconds.

Completely forgettable. The speech was absolutely awful and in no way heartfelt. Almost robotic.

Football not in a good place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Most dead All Ireland final after the first 13 seconds.

Completely forgettable. The speech was absolutely awful and in no way heartfelt. Almost robotic.

Football not in a good place.

It's a dead year. The season just feels wrong in a lot of sports. The all Ireland season feels like a non important league match this year. It's just odd, not the player's fault though, all county player's must have had thoughts in the back of their mind about their families and if it was worth even engaging for the championship.

It is the oddest of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

eggy81 wrote: »
    Fair play to the dubs they’ve reached a stage where they don’t need to play spectacularly well to win. Their know how in situations in games in unbelievable. They might do 10 in a row. Up to the other big counties now to really kick in and chase them down. Everything in sport runs in cycles. It won’t last forever.

They might be caught on a particular day but they will not fade away as other county teams have. Because they have a production line of new players being churned out. The only way Dublin will fade is if they grow bored of themselves winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

It's The Magnificent Seven next for the Dubs.

Work from home is the only hope for the championship

Dubs are a great team, a great squad- but every job in the country in the one town has made this inevitable and there's little enough sport in it the past five years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Kerry will be the team to beat Dublin and end their good run. Guaranteed. I see this happening very soon. 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

jay1988 wrote: »
    Love stuff like this, salty as ye can get, just makes it all the sweeter.

I dunno, I just think the whole thing is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Is it straight knockout again next year or is will there be a backdoor without the super 8s?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Small example how money puts the ball in the back of the net. Against Westmeath this year Dublin had five people at the game on laptops tracking the players GPS in real time. When it comes down to a tight game like the draw against Kerry last year the Dublin players are fed far better info in order for them to make decisions in time. That's literally money putting the ball in the back of the net.

Is it just Dublin that use this? I seem to remember a certain Mayo player a few years ago removing his GPS tracker and throwing it at another player. Literally , every county uses this

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭jay1988

kilns wrote: »
    Is it just Dublin that use this? I seem to remember a certain Mayo player a few years ago removing his GPS tracker and throwing it at another player. Literally , every county uses this

I'd say a fair few of the better teams are using them at this stage but that doesn't really suit the point the poster was trying to make :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭rrs

Will Cluxton bow out or play into his 40s? ala Buffon at Juventus.

It was important for Farrell in his first year as manager that he played on. Captain and organiser of the defence.
    Not sure he should get an All Star though, had no saves to make bar 1 against Meath

• Advertisement

But you can have all the excellent players in the world but if you have a huge backroom team feeding them real time information to aid their performance it provides an advantage to them. Particularly when other counties can't afford that.

It's actually not bitterness at all. I feel a bit sorry for the players really because there achievements are being overshadowed by the advantages they have.

Are they? not in my opinion, maybe in yours.

Their achievements are unreal, probably never be matched, they know how good they are.

But you can have all the excellent players in the world but if you have a huge backroom team feeding them real time information to aid their performance it provides an advantage to them. Particularly when other counties can't afford that.

It's actually not bitterness at all. I feel a bit sorry for the players really because there achievements are being overshadowed by the advantages they have.

Laptops are not beyond the financial reach of any county in the country...

Neither is software to monitor, collect and collate performance.

It’s used by amateur sports teams the world over. It’s used by an organization I’m involved in as one example. I and every participant get a weekly, monthly and yearly email with stats. Improvements, dis-improvements etc... facets to work harder, goals etc... we use heart rate monitors, pedometers and gps trackers...

I doubt the Dublin players and indeed supporters feel like anything is overshadowed... certainly not the vibe I’m getting, they are just enjoying the sweet smell of success, yet again, enjoying the fruits of their hard work, during the most challenging year in well, life ! Well done to them and 7 is around the corner hopefully.

I'm actually not bitter at all to be honest. I guess to enjoy the success any Dublin fans have to convince themselves that money doesn't matter and they don't have an advantage. If that's what you have to do, that's what you have to do.

Or flip that, if the lads need to convince themselves that money is the only thing that matters and that's the reason none of them have won an All Ireland in years and not because the Dublin were better than them, then that's what they have to do I suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Or flip that, if the country lads need to convince themselves that money is the only thing that matters and that's the reason none of them have won an All Ireland in years and not because the Dublin were better than them, then that's what they have to do I suppose :)

What's your obsession with country lads? You've referenced it a few times, it comes across very divisive. We're all from the one country!

Or flip that, if the country lads need to convince themselves that money is the only thing that matters and that's the reason none of them have won an All Ireland in years and not because the Dublin were better than them, then that's what they have to do I suppose :)

They can of course, tell their grandkids how they once played in an all Ireland final, lost, but attacked a Dublin player from behind, pushed him onto the concrete, who was doing no more than walking down the tunnel. The Dublin players meanwhile will be showing medals, relating stories of success, hard work, enjoyment, celebrations...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭Rosita

Strumms wrote: »
    He’s just won his 8th all Ireland medal, I doubt he’s slightly concerned by your critique of his speech...

He’s a fûcking brilliant dude. :)

Can't find the post this replied to but am assuming it refers to James McCarthy and if so I love love the childlike excitement in his voice. That and the tears of Robbie McDaid and Kevin McManamon (who didn't get a game) is a brilliant antidote to the embarrassing sore loser stuff from my fellow non- Dubliners.

doc_17 wrote: »
    Imagine that next year the GAA said that Kerry can play all their meaningful matches in Killarney and Kerry won the All Ireland. Would that achievement be tarnished? Of course it would. Rubbish to suggest the advantages Dublin have aren’t taking anything away from their record breaking achievements.

It really wouldn't, in the end it comes down to 15v15 or 20v20, the better team will usually win, no matter where the games are played and thats what is happening now, the best team is winning, it won't last forever but we'll enjoy it while it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I will be first to admit, I am usually rooting for the "other" team, against Dublin.
    We may want them to lose, but there is no denying we are privileged to watch them play.
    Yes the systems, money etc may be a little help, but bottom line, there is no software., laptop, diet , algorithm blah blah, that can make Aidan O Shea into a Brian Fenton, it's just not possible.
    A team who can bring on Brian Howard and Paul Mannion as subs, these are not subs like many counties have, old hero's on a "hail mary", that they will somehow return to their glory days, these are superstars, that the manager knows will deliver.
    Dean Rock vs Cillian O Connor on a pressure free, who would you pick ?

Mayo have good players, Dublin have great players.

The only possibility of an upset, and what keeps us all watching is the remote possibility, that great players will have a bad day, on the same day that good players deliver their very best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭C__MC

Twitter is chaotic this morning

• Advertisement

C__MC wrote: »
    Twitter is chaotic this morning

The best comment I read was some Mayo lad on Twitter...

“Philly deserved that”

Reply...

“ I agree, he’s deserved all 7 of them actually “

Advertisement