Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Football Championship Final 2020 Mayo v Dublin MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭C__MC

Strumms wrote: »
    The best comment I read was some Mayo lad on Twitter...

“Philly deserved that”

Reply...

“ I agree, he’s deserved all 7 of them actually “

Dessie cahill bumping up the dubs for sweeping the dressing room got me

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭FrPhelimYoung

crusier wrote: »
    Kerry or Galway in reality are the only teams that will eventually beat Dublin. It could be a few years. Mayo just don't have what it takes mentally

I’m just trawling through the post match comments.

Galway?

Galway - the team who have won one championship fixture in Croke park since 2001.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Eamon_

I never thought I'd long for the day a team the likes of Jim McGuinness's Donegal would be around again but fcuk me, I'd do anything just to see another team win Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Galway?

Galway - the team who have won one championship fixture in Croke park since 2001.

Ah, they beat Dublin yesterday in the u20 final in Croke Park. Young players coming through ......Galway are on the up!

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Ah, they beat Dublin yesterday in the u20 final in Croke Park. Young players coming through ......Galway are on the up!

That's their 3rd or 4th win at u21 since 2011, they have been to on senior semi
    Galway just dont have it I'm afraid,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Commentary around Cillian O'Connor reminds me a lot of the way people used to talk about Robbie Keane when he played for Ireland. He only does this, he doesnt do that.

The thing is - you cant argue with the stats.

For me Cillian O'Connor is without doubt one of the players of the past decade. And by that I mean top 5 players of the past decade. And I think he should be in consideration for player of the year.

He has scored more goals than anyone in the championship.

He has scored more points than anyone in the championship.

He has scored more than Ciaran Kilkenny and Dean Rock combined.

He kept Mayo in the game yesterday, and was far better in the first half than Ciaran Kilkenny.

I honestly people think they can ignore all this because they find him annoying.....

Are you really going to give Kilkenny player of the year for his performances in the 20 point or whatever hammerings of Laois and Meath, as if he somehow made some crucial difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Commentary around Cillian O'Connor reminds me a lot of the way people used to talk about Robbie Keane when he played for Ireland. He only does this, he doesnt do that.

For me Cillian O'Connor is without doubt one of the players of the past decade. And by that I mean top 5 players of the past decade. And I think he should be in consideration for player of the year.

He kept Mayo in the game yesterday, and was far better in the first half than Ciaran Kilkenny.

I honestly people think they can ignore all this because they find him annoying.....

Are you really going to give Kilkenny player of the year for his performances in the 20 point or whatever hammerings of Laois and Meath, as if he somehow made some crucial difference?
    Great scorer he is, but again went missing yesterday. How many touches did he have in the 2nd half, leaders were needed and Mayo were found wanting, again. Lee Keegan needs to be cloned, there is a leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Great scorer he is, but again went missing yesterday. How many touches did he have in the 2nd half, leaders were needed and Mayo were found wanting, again. Lee Keegan needs to be cloned, there is a leader.

Poor for the first goal though. Instead of dragging Small down he should have left him and covered off the goal.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Poor for the first goal though. Instead of dragging Small down he should have left him and covered off the goal.

Keegan was moved back due to losing one of his great assets, speed. Age is a bastard.

He got 9 points yesterday playing against a stronger defense. what exactly do you want him to do? get 20 points or walk on water. Only Kilkenny got more points from play.
    Should be a cert for player of the year, nobody even close to him this year. Massive score from him this year in tough games, breaking records again and playing at his best.

• Advertisement

He got 9 points yesterday playing against a stronger defense. what exactly do you want him to do? get 20 points or walk on water. Only Kilkenny got more points from play.
    Should be a cert for player of the year. Massive score from him this year, breaking records again and playing at his best.

I have agreed he’s a great player, unfortunately he went missing for the 2nd half when Mayo needed leaders. Inexcusable for a player of his experience. The same could be laid at AOS doorstep.

When the game was in the melting pot yesterday, it was kilkenny who stood up the most - 3 crucial points

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

C__MC wrote: »
    When the game was in the melting pot yesterday, it was kilkenny who stood up the most - 3 crucial points

To say the game was ever in the melting pot is a bit much. Never looked like Mayo would win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Eamon_ wrote: »
    I never thought I'd long for the day a team the likes of Jim McGuinness's Donegal would be around again but fcuk me, I'd do anything just to see another team win Sam.

My heart bleeds for you :D

BENDYBINN wrote: »

If you say so :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

To say the game was ever in the melting pot is a bit much. Never looked like Mayo would win.

Agreed we only lead once in the entire contest yet it was there for the taking when the scoreline was 2-8 to 0-14.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Agreed we only lead once in the entire contest yet it was there for the taking when the scoreline was 2-8 to 0-14.

Disagree Dublin had another level to step up to if required

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

C__MC wrote: »

Because his marker Paddy Durkan had gone off injured. He was very quiet in the first half before Durkan was sidelined.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

blanch152 wrote: »
    Any free awarded for a foul on an O’Connor or O’Shea generally involved a dive.

Complete rubbish.

O'Shea is one of the most fouled players and least likely to get a free. There were several clear fouls on him that a free should have given for including being dragged back by Fenton just before the black card was given.

The amount of soft frees received by Dublin was off the scale.

It was an utterly abysmal refereeing display.

It was a very naive goal to concede. Once you lose a throw in you immediately take two defending midfielders out of the equation and there's nothing to stop the attacking midfielder going through on goal. Not sure if Mayo had a sweeper that early but thats exactly what a sweeper is for.

• Advertisement

I have agreed he’s a great player, unfortunately he went missing for the 2nd half when Mayo needed leaders. Inexcusable for a player of his experience. The same could be laid at AOS doorstep.

The whole Mayo team went missing. There's only so much one player can do. Mayo ran out of steam. Its unsurprising given that while Croke Park is Dublins home pitch and they are used to the dimensions a lot of the Mayo younger guys wouldn't be.
    And the problem is Dublin play something like 10 times a year at Croke Park. Imagine if Liverpool played 34 games of their 38 game season at Anfield and you get the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The whole Mayo team went missing. There's only so much one player can do. Mayo ran out of steam. Its unsurprising given that while Croke Park is Dublins home pitch and they are used to the dimensions a lot of the Mayo younger guys wouldn't be.
    And the problem is Dublin play something like 10 times a year at Croke Park. Imagine if Liverpool played 34 games of their 38 game season at Anfield and you get the picture.

If you were talking about Louth or Limerick footballers ye might be on to something.
    On the other hand Mayo footballers are frequent attendees at Crocker.

Galway?

And another team supposed to give the Dubs a rattle are Donegal who haven't been to an AI semi final since 2014!

As a competitive sport its dead in its current form. Dublin are vultures feeding on the carcass of a dead animal at this stage. Best thing now is focus on club football and hope the GAA don't kill that too. Its also a shame the interprovincials are dead, not helped by GAA or RTEs disinterest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What I enjoyed about Dublin was when mayo had good spells and looked like they could dominate for a period... Dublin looked after the ball, worked at maintaining possession, slowed the game down, less risk in getting the ball forward... finding their short passing game... drew frees... savvy as fûck.... as much as saturated raw football ability, shooting, passing .. footballing intelligence, decision making... tactical nouse meeting execution of those skills.

Because his marker Paddy Durkan had gone off injured. He was very quiet in the first half before Durkan was sidelined.

He still had to win those balls and score given as you say he waa having a poor game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Complete rubbish.

O'Shea is one of the most fouled players and least likely to get a free. There were several clear fouls on him that a free should have given for including being dragged back by Fenton just before the black card was given.

To be fair neither side can complain about the referee, both sides were given soft frees, both sides "dived" to win frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I don't agree. I thought the referee had a decent game.
    Some of the Mayo tackling was very lazy and stupid as the game wore on. Obviously they were tired.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

What happened in the second half on Saturday was something I'd always been a bit concerned would happen in a big GAA match, which was that Dublin built up a bit of a lead and then played 'keep ball' for 15 minutes. Dublin scored once in the last 14 minutes. I would think they had 80% possession in that time.

That literally is what happened. Mayo could not get the ball back, because Dublin kept passing it about the middle of the park.

Dont get me wrong, I dont see that Mayo would have come back into it; but to say that Mayo players 'disappeared' is a bit much.

The other point - the really big turning point for me was Howard coming on, as Mayo didnt have the platform for the kick out that they had in the first half. And hence O'Connor wasnt getting the supply they might have had. Didnt by any stretch 'disappear'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

What happened in the second half on Saturday was something I'd always been a bit concerned would happen in a big GAA match, which was that Dublin built up a bit of a lead and then played 'keep ball' for 15 minutes. Dublin scored once in the last 14 minutes. I would think they had 80% possession in that time.

That literally is what happened. Mayo could not get the ball back, because Dublin kept passing it about the middle of the park.

Dont get me wrong, I dont see that Mayo would have come back into it; but to say that Mayo players 'disappeared' is a bit much.

The other point - the really big turning point for me was Howard coming on, as Mayo didnt have the platform for the kick out that they had in the first half. And hence O'Connor wasnt getting the supply they might have had. Didnt by any stretch 'disappear'.

Dublin suffocated the game in the last 15 minutes. Perfectly entitled to do so but it is brutal to watch (not unique to the Dubs). Removes any excitement or competition from the game. Basketball has the right idea with a 'shot clock' which prevents this type of retaining possession until the game fizzles out. It keeps the game competitive. I was genuinely surprised Dublin didn't turn the screw at the end and put up a higher score.

• Advertisement

Misguided1 wrote: »
    Dublin suffocated the game in the last 15 minutes. Perfectly entitled to do so but it is brutal to watch (not unique to the Dubs). Removes any excitement or competition from the game. Basketball has the right idea with a 'shot clock' which prevents this type of retaining possession until the game fizzles out. It keeps the game competitive. I was genuinely surprised Dublin didn't turn the screw at the end and put up a higher score.

I think its a mark of the thought they have put into games.

Every time you take a shot from play you lose possession, Dublin took 17 or 18 shots for points on Saturday, hit 11 of them.

The greater risk for Dublin was shooting, not scoring and then Mayo close the gap.

But in a 35 minute half (and the ball was in play for less than that even including injury time) - Dublin are holding on to the ball for 2 or 3 minutes at a time. Very difficult to play against.

The other thing - much much easier for Dublin to play this passing game in Croke Park, where the pitch is bigger and the ground faster and drier.

Advertisement