Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Electricity Usage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭air

CoBo55 wrote: »
    And a fortune on paraffin for the lamps, get outa will ya with that ****e...

Also average less than 5 units a day consumption, if i replaced my fridge freezer with a more modern unit I could easily get down to below 4 a day over the year.
    My actual import is already under 3.5 units a day over the year due to self consumption of PV produced energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭CoBo55

John.G wrote: »
    If/when my fabulous nearly 50 yo meter which reads in 1/10ths of a kwh is replaced with a not so smart new type then I will make very sure that it is summating properly after installation by carrying out a simple calculation using my electric immersion of known power.

Which varies as the water heats up...
    One of those clip on energy monitors might be more accurate. Something like two TVs running for an hour maybe? It's a tricky one in a domestic situation as there are so many variables, rating plates on devices aren't 100% accurate either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

And a fortune on paraffin for the lamps, get outa will ya with that ****e...

A3 house. It helps. I don’t have any paraffin lamps.

air wrote: »
    Also average less than 5 units a day consumption, if i replaced my fridge freezer with a more modern unit I could easily get down to below 4 a day over the year.
    My actual import is already under 3.5 units a day over the year due to self consumption of PV produced energy.

None of this is helpful to the op. 30 units a day is very high and expensive, I'm sure he'd appreciate helpful suggestions (which I hope I provided), not boasts about things that are totally irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭John.G

Which varies as the water heats up...
    One of those clip on energy monitors might be more accurate. Something like two TVs running for an hour maybe? It's a tricky one in a domestic situation as there are so many variables, rating plates on devices aren't 100% accurate either.

The immersion is a excellent tool for checking meters that sadly only update every KWH, you ensure no heating on from either cylinder coil or immersion, run off all the hot water from the cylinder and let the hot tap running at a good lick to ensure that the immersion doesn't trip on the cylinder stat, then note the meter reading when "whole number" kwh has updated then switch on the immersion (no other users on of course) and the next kwh should turn over after exactly 24 minutes if a 2.5 kw element and so on.
    Long winded yes but that's what I will do, I will also measure the element resistance and the "current" voltage.

• Advertisement

The immersion is a excellent tool for checking meters that sadly only update every KWH, you ensure no heating on from either cylinder coil or immersion, run off all the hot water from the cylinder and let the hot tap running at a good lick to ensure that the immersion doesn't trip on the cylinder stat, then note the meter reading when "whole number" kwh has updated then switch on the immersion (no other users on of course) and the next kwh should turn over after exactly 24 minutes if a 2.5 kw element and so on.
    Long winded yes but that's what I will do, I will also measure the element resistance and the "current" voltage.

AHH stop will ya... You're giving me a headache. Go make a new tinfoil hat or something.

@ Op, do you have a septic tank/flo system? They can be very sore on juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Just checked , I've used 2000units in 4 months, that would be average?

6000/annum or 16.44/day, not too bad I suppose depending on family size and assuming all electric cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭beachhead

Lashes28 wrote: »
    I got my bill yesterday and just checked after reading this thread and for the past two months I've used 6 units per day in a four bedroom house,1 adult 1 teenager who gets lost in a shower and two little ones . Maybe someone else on my street is paying for some of my units. Lol

That has been heard of.Some people are handy with a drill and cutters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

6000/annum or 16.44/day, not too bad I suppose depending on family size and assuming all electric cooking.

3 of us, electric cooking,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Gooser14

If your meter is the old analogue type then it only reads to 99999 before restarting at 00000 again. If it is the analogue type meter then your true current reading is 162,000 units and this would equate to an average yearly reading of 11,571 units & daily reading of 31.7 units over the 14 years.

CoBo55 wrote:

I had a situation a few years ago where the pump inlet became partially blocked & this resulted in the pump running continuously. It added about Eur 30 to my bill.

Gooser14 wrote: »
    If your meter is the old analogue type then it only reads to 99999 before restarting at 00000 again. If it is the analogue type meter then your true current reading is 162,000 units and this would equate to an average yearly reading of 11,571 units & daily reading of 31.7 units over the 14 years.

My 48 year old (Ferranti Ireland) meter has tuned over twice and is now reading 12,393 kwh, average of 4422 kwh/annum or 12.11 kwh/day for the 17,532 days since installation.

John.G wrote:
    My 48 year old (Ferranti Ireland) meter has tuned over twice and is now reading 12,393 kwh, average of 4422 kwh/annum or 12.11 kwh/day for the 17,532 days since installation.

I wish my daily average was 12.11 kWh. Mine is about double that at 24.59 kWh/day. That's with electric cooker, dishwasher, dryer, emersion heater etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Familly of 3 - 3 month old baby - working from home. Electric Cooking , Electric Shower , Dryer Dishwasher , Gas Heating.

Average Electricity for Oct-Nov of 14kwh per day.

LED lights mostly, Mostly A Rated appliances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

I suppose in theory the element resistance (and consequently electricity consumption) will change slightly when the cylinder is cold vs hot.

You would also need to consider the supply voltage. The name plate rating will only apply at a rated voltage.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SeanMacEoin

This is an interesting point you’ve raised. My meter is the analogue one. I must see if I can find a paper bill from a few years back to confirm my original thoughts on this.

No I don’t have the bioflo type system so I can rule this out. Thanks all suggestions appreciated

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    I suppose in theory the element resistance (and consequently electricity consumption) will change slightly when the cylinder is cold vs hot.

You would also need to consider the supply voltage. The name plate rating will only apply at a rated voltage.

Yes, voltage at the element terminals should be monitored as power is proportional to voltage squared, my electric kettle element resistance changes from 21.2 ohms to 21.3 ohms cold to hot.

• Advertisement

This is an interesting point you’ve raised. My meter is the analogue one. I must see if I can find a paper bill from a few years back to confirm my original thoughts on this.

Do you mind me asking who is your current supplier?

Do you mind me asking who is your current supplier?

Sure. Electric Ireland @ 0.1753 / unit

You need to look at changing your supplier as there are much better unit price offers available. Do some price comparisons on bonkers.ie or switcher.ie. Also check out the suppliers own websites. I change supplier every year unless my current supplier is willing to match the lowest price available. I'm currently withe IBERDROLA and was with Bord Gais & Energia previously. I haven't been with Electric Ireland for about 5 years as they could not match other supplier prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Sure you have gas as well. I'm and I'm assuming the op are electricity only. That's like someone saying they heat their house for a half tank of oil a year, they conveniently forget to mention the half a forest they horse into a stove the size of Moneypoint...
    Anyway this isn't about waving the smallest electricity bill about it's about helping the op reverse the obvious jump his usage has taken. Please don't keeping banging on about getting better deals blah blah blah, reduction of units used is what's needed.

The op mentioned he has oil heating,there's no need for an assumption. So I'm not sure what that attack was for. Yes his units need to come down but a better deal wouldn't harm him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,600 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a 4 bed house with no electric heating, washer, dishwasher, usual fridge, kettle, toaster, etc, electric oven (gas hob) well, septic tank with old pump, dehumidifier on maybe once a week, electric showers, never use immersion. Two adults here constantly. Averaging about 9 to 10 units a day. I though my bill was a bit high (last one €160 for 55 days) but it seems I am about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Op. Is it possible that your bill was estimated for a while (years) and the new higher readings are down to this?

kramer1 wrote: »
    Op. Is it possible that your bill was estimated for a while (years) and the new higher readings are down to this?

The meter has always been read albeit intermittently every year.

Thanks for all the contributions to this post. For extra information over the past 3-4 nights I have monitored my electricity usage when most electrical items have been switched off. I use 8 units overnight 10pm - 8am. So while the majority of electricity draw is during the day as expected, the residual overnight usage is not insignificant either.
    I expected the overnight use to be less but then I started to realise many items are plugged in 100% such as fridge/freezer, a separate stand-alone freezer, CCTV System / house alarm, internet router, water pump, outside sensor lights. I can do better here by putting some of above on timers etc.

Coupled with a bit more common sense and a better rate for electricity I’m sure we can make significant savings on what we currently pay.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just out of curiosity has the OP considered a night time rate meter. I'm currently investigating one as a result of now working from home. Whilst my own bills are quite low, I live alone, I've seen quite a rise in average usage over the past few months but expected this. My limited understanding is the night rate meters offer essentially half price unit charge for nominated nightly hours, the only catch is the yearly standing charge is about €70 more than standard yearly standard charge, this would be a small price to pay if a large household could utilise night time rate efficiently, emersion, washing, drying etc.

I'm on the unit rate quoted, with ESB 20 years, and have often wondered about changing but as my average bill only around €100 every 2 months, I'd say the likes of Energia would laugh at me :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity has the OP considered a night time rate meter. I'm currently investigating one as a result of now working from home. Whilst my own bills are quite low, I live alone, I've seen quite a rise in average usage over the past few months but expected this. My limited understanding is the night rate meters offer essentially half price unit charge for nominated nightly hours, the only catch is the yearly standing charge is about €70 more than standard yearly standard charge, this would be a small price to pay if a large household could utilise night time rate efficiently, emersion, washing, drying etc.

I'm on the unit rate quoted, with ESB 20 years, and have often wondered about changing but as my average bill only around €100 every 2 months, I'd say the likes of Energia would laugh at me :)

I have to admit I never realised there was such variation in unit price charges between the various suppliers. For example I’m currently paying 0.1753c per unit. Energia seem to have a plan with 0.1143c per unit. There are some additional variations in standing charges etc but for my usage this is a big saving before doing anything else.

When I built my house I had intended putting in a night meter but my electrician advised against it at the time. I don’t recall the reason why mind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I have to admit I never realised there was such variation in unit price charges between the various suppliers. For example I’m currently paying 0.1753c per unit. Energia seem to have a plan with 0.1143c per unit. There are some additional variations in standing charges etc but for my usage this is a big saving before doing anything else.

When I built my house I had intended putting in a night meter but my electrician advised against it at the time. I don’t recall the reason why mind you.

Might worth investigating for larger household, my own cottage dates to 1810 so I purchased with those really old meters, as it happens It was upgraded to a smart meter a few months back, not that smart as I still have to submit readings :)

I've seen lower unit rates elsewhere but as my usage generally quite low, I've never really bothered but saw recently a loyalty offer on the ESB talk too forum, offering a few 100 euro credit to stay rather than move, might also be worth a cheeky call :)

Info on night meter here

https://www.electricireland.ie/news/article/all-you-need-to-know-about-the-nightsaver-meter

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement