Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many rounds?

Options
  • 19-12-2020 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Just a quick question lads, doing my application for a .22 rifle and am new to rifles. Just wondering if anyone can recommend how many rounds I should apply for? Have 1000 for my shotgun. Should I just go same again or I’m guessing I’d burn through a lot more .22 rounds? Any help is really appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'd go for between 500 to 1,000.

Your reasons must be valid and the following is only intended as a guide to helping you write a letter to accompany your FCA1 application. If you are reading any of the following and think most or none of them apply to you then it's likely you don't need as many as you want. However only you an judge that.

Re: Section 4.1 - I request (insert amount) for the following reasons:
    1. Empty (fired) casings are treated the same as live rounds as per the Firearms Act, 1925 where it states that "ammunition for a firearm is any ingredient or component part of any such ammunition", with component part being the bullet, the casing, the propellant or the primer. So my license must allow me to have a high enough limit to have both live and fired rounds in my possession.
    2. An allowance that is too low, say 100 rounds, means i can only have one/two box(es) of ammunition as all 22 ammunition is sold in either 50 or 100 round boxes.
    3. With low/minimum allowance I must safely and legally dispose of those empty casings before i can legally by another box. As the empty casings are classed as live rounds i must find an authorised range or scrap merchant which requires me to travel excessive distances to find such a place.
    4. I regularly do vermin control on the lands i have permission for. This may vary from two to six times per week and my current allowance only permits me to carry one box of ammunition meaning i must make a return trip to the registered firearm dealer between each outing as well as disposing of the empties as per the means above between trips to the dealer.
    5. Some ammunition comes in 100 round boxes but even for the 50 round boxes, buying these in bulk can save on trips to the dealer, save on cost as they are usually a bulk sale price, and means that i have a reliable supply of suitable and safe ammunition to suit my rifle.
    6. Each different type of round/bullet performs differently in each persons rifle. My rifle is set up to use one particular type and if i cannot bulk buy this type i must use another. As it won't perform the same i cannot be sure it is zeroed and therefore safe. As zeroing outside an authorised range is illegal it means i must wait to the ammunition i use to come back into stock or if it doesn't to join a range simply to zero my rifle which is excessively expensive and somewhat redundant as i have no interest in target shooting.
    7. Being forced to join a range to keep zeroing my rifle for each different type of bullet is not only excessively expensive and a cost i should not have to incur but may lead to me being FORCED to make a fraudulent application because my interest is NOT in target shooting but i would have to declare such interest when applying.
    8. The Commissioner's Guidleines clearly set out that the minimum amount of ammunition to be used a BASE guide for each activity:
      • Farmer (one shotgun for vermin/pest control) – 100 rounds.
      • Deer Gun – 200 to 260 rounds.
      • Shotgun for clay pigeon, pheasant/pigeon/woodcock – 500 to 750 rounds.
      • Target Shooter (member of authorised club) – 750 to 1,000 rounds
    9. A single shotgun is listed as having 100 rounds, while a deer gun is down as 200-260. There is no guideline for a vermin caliber rifle or the act of vermin control however as the guidelines set out a 200-260 minimum for a deer gun and deer stalking is only for 6 months of the year (not year round like vermin control) i believe the amount of (** Insert Amount **) to be a valid and just request.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭JP22

kjl412 wrote: »
    Just a quick question lads, doing my application for a .22 rifle and am new to rifles. Just wondering if anyone can recommend how many rounds I should apply for? Have 1000 for my shotgun. Should I just go same again or I’m guessing I’d burn through a lot more .22 rounds? Any help is really appreciated.

As always, Cass gave you excellent advice.

750 to 1K rounds is good for most people. A "brick" is 500 rds and will fit in your overcoat pocket, also should be slightly cheaper to buy by the brick v a box of 50 rds.

I don't need to worry about spent brass as I shoot in an authorised club and they have bins for spent brass, you go home lighter in ammo weight and lighter in pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 kjl412

Cass wrote: »
    I'd go for between 500 to 1,000.

Your reasons must be valid and the following is only intended as a guide to helping you write a letter to accompany your FCA1 application. If you are reading any of the following and think most or none of them apply to you then it's likely you don't need as many as you want. However only you an judge that.

Re: Section 4.1 - I request (insert amount) for the following reasons:
    1. Empty (fired) casings are treated the same as live rounds as per the Firearms Act, 1925 where it states that "ammunition for a firearm is any ingredient or component part of any such ammunition", with component part being the bullet, the casing, the propellant or the primer. So my license must allow me to have a high enough limit to have both live and fired rounds in my possession.
    2. An allowance that is too low, say 100 rounds, means i can only have one/two box(es) of ammunition as all 22 ammunition is sold in either 50 or 100 round boxes.
    3. With low/minimum allowance I must safely and legally dispose of those empty casings before i can legally by another box. As the empty casings are classed as live rounds i must find an authorised range or scrap merchant which requires me to travel excessive distances to find such a place.
    4. I regularly do vermin control on the lands i have permission for. This may vary from two to six times per week and my current allowance only permits me to carry one box of ammunition meaning i must make a return trip to the registered firearm dealer between each outing as well as disposing of the empties as per the means above between trips to the dealer.
    5. Some ammunition comes in 100 round boxes but even for the 50 round boxes, buying these in bulk can save on trips to the dealer, save on cost as they are usually a bulk sale price, and means that i have a reliable supply of suitable and safe ammunition to suit my rifle.
    6. Each different type of round/bullet performs differently in each persons rifle. My rifle is set up to use one particular type and if i cannot bulk buy this type i must use another. As it won't perform the same i cannot be sure it is zeroed and therefore safe. As zeroing outside an authorised range is illegal it means i must wait to the ammunition i use to come back into stock or if it doesn't to join a range simply to zero my rifle which is excessively expensive and somewhat redundant as i have no interest in target shooting.
    7. Being forced to join a range to keep zeroing my rifle for each different type of bullet is not only excessively expensive and a cost i should not have to incur but may lead to me being FORCED to make a fraudulent application because my interest is NOT in target shooting but i would have to declare such interest when applying.
    8. The Commissioner's Guidleines clearly set out that the minimum amount of ammunition to be used a BASE guide for each activity:
      • Farmer (one shotgun for vermin/pest control) – 100 rounds.
      • Deer Gun – 200 to 260 rounds.
      • Shotgun for clay pigeon, pheasant/pigeon/woodcock – 500 to 750 rounds.
      • Target Shooter (member of authorised club) – 750 to 1,000 rounds
    9. A single shotgun is listed as having 100 rounds, while a deer gun is down as 200-260. There is no guideline for a vermin caliber rifle or the act of vermin control however as the guidelines set out a 200-260 minimum for a deer gun and deer stalking is only for 6 months of the year (not year round like vermin control) i believe the amount of (** Insert Amount **) to be a valid and just request.

Thanks for that, really helpful advice. Appreciate it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

JP22 wrote: »
    As always, Cass gave you excellent advice.

750 to 1K rounds is good for most people. A "brick" is 500 rds and will fit in your overcoat pocket, also should be slightly cheaper to buy by the brick v a box of 50 rds.

I don't need to worry about spent brass as I shoot in an authorised club and they have bins for spent brass, you go home lighter in ammo weight and lighter in pocket.

Problem is some bricks are not 500 rounds but 535 or 550. Buy two and if you are stopped, you are in bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Mississippi.

tudderone wrote: »
    Problem is some bricks are not 500 rounds but 535 or 550. Buy two and if you are stopped, you are in bother.

Isn't there a box of 650 also?
    Another reason why 500 isn't enough in the first place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Johnner2

I just applied for a substitution like for like and asked for an increase from 500 that I have had for years to 1000 rounds and it was granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I went for 100 on rifle and shotgun
    Id never use more or have that many on me anyway

I went for 100 on rifle and shotgun
    Id never use more or have that many on me anyway

100? That sounds like nothing, I ended up putting down 1000. What do you use then guns for that you only need 100? Wouldn’t you have to go but cartridges the whole time?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

500 rounds bTW is an EU legislative accepted norm per firearm EU wide.So dont be afraid to ask for it or more if you feel the need.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    500 rounds bTW is an EU legislative accepted norm per firearm EU wide.So dont be afraid to ask for it or more if you feel the need.

I'd always recommend putting in reasons why you want more. I wouldn't just write down a figure on the application and leave it at that. Put in a letter with the application stating why you 'need' x number of rounds.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't...Unless they ask for it. The less you write,the less that can be used against you.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The less you write...............
    The longer your application takes while they tell you they want more and you have to send it in anyway. :p
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    The longer your application takes while they tell you they want more and you have to send it in anyway. :p
    Both good points which way to go 😅

Is it an application or an ammo limit increase, two different buckets of fish there?
    Do you have to re apply or,do you just drop in a note saying you would like your ammo limit increased to X hundred...For...
    Thanks?

Is it an application or an ammo limit increase, two different buckets of fish there?
    Do you have to re apply or,do you just drop in a note saying you would like your ammo limit increased to X hundred...For...
    Thanks?

It’s a new application

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Or you can ask when renewing your licence.

Advertisement