Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are hipsters dressing like 90s scaldies?

• 19-12-2020 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I've noticed this around Dublin more and more, that your typical NCAD hipsters are dressing like scaldies from the 90s-00s, hoodies, peaked caps and tracksuits tucked into socks, from the look of which are likely picked up from one of the "trendy" thrift shops dotted around the city. It makes it difficult to discern between the 2 sub-groups, so now I just avoid scaldies by identifying the generic, tennis balls under the arm walk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 portlygent

sugarman wrote: »
    Not really, your so called "scaldies" mostly model themselves after the likes of Conor McGregor and Peaky Blinders these days.

I guess you're right. Back in school the scaldies called lads "gay" for wearing skinny jeans. Fast-forward 4-5 years, all of the scaldies were dressing like 1-Direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

It's the 20 year fashion cycle. Teens/young adults dont remember the negative context of these clothes when they were first worn so to them they are just fashionably vintage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I went to a music thing in the RDS about 6 years ago and there were kids dressed like this too. The tracksuit tops that look like some crack eastern european football team would have worn in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Drug dealers might statistically be less likely to batter students that dress like their parents did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Do you mean Scallies?

• Advertisement

The whole dressing like you're living in the 1920s was fairly mad too..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

sugarman wrote: »
    Not really, your so called "scaldies" mostly model themselves after the likes of Conor McGregor and Peaky Blinders these days.

Peaky scaldies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

I'd take those scaldies any day over the Essex type fellas. Like your man Pete Wicks. If that thing came near me I'd be in the height of it for the rest of the night. Tan & trout pouts on men should be against the law

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I wouldn't lose sleep over it OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Skobies with the round hipster ear-rings is what I seeing more frequently.
    Not a great look.

Advertisement