Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 has been great

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

And only 1.6 million dead.

Let’s put that into perspective and remember 60 million died this year.

And of those dying with Covid, and where those deaths occurred it’s misleading to suggest all 1.6m died from Covid.

We are guilty of loosing perspective in the first world

Augeo wrote: »
    You are wishing the pandemic continues whilst pleading for this positive thread.... Lol

It’s worth remembering this is AH, you might be taking this a tad too seriously. I don’t think anyone is wishing the mortality rate continues.

Dav010 wrote: »
    It’s worth remembering this is AH, you might be taking this a tad too seriously. I don’t think anyone is wishing the mortality rate continues.

It's worth reading what was said. The lock down only continues whilst the pandemic does, that's simple enough logic that even you average after hours poster should be able to appreciate.

Are you enjoying your loftiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Graces the two are not mutually exclusive, you can show empathy to others, while having an opinion on how the year has been personally. You are allowed to think of yourself as well.

I am going by many of the replies as well as my own reaction.

Read them all? Thank you.

Over and out on this; I am among those who are morning lost loved ones. Hard to read how wonderful the year is. It is a disaster and a nightmare. And more to come.

Let’s put that into perspective and remember 60 million died this year.

And of those dying with Covid, and where those deaths occurred it’s misleading to suggest all 1.6m died from Covid.

We are guilty of loosing perspective in the first world

So who's filling up the hospitals this year? Why are parts of the US having to set up field hospitals? Or storing the dead in containers and mass burials?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It's worth reading what was said. The lock down only continues whilst the pandemic does, that's simple enough logic that even you average after hours poster should be able to appreciate.

Are you enjoying your loftiness.

When you assume you make an ass of u and me. We still had some forms of lockdown when we had 6 cases per day and no deaths.

I have been thoroughly enjoying the lack of social obligations and all the free time to relax. Not having a 2 hour commute or having to wear a suit.

Obviously I'm not in any way happy others have suffered. But I am loving the new normal.

I feel sorry for folk who reckon 2020 was a great year as they saved a few quid, didn't have to be pressured into going out and feeling awkward to fit in.... Hopefully post pandemic they might sort themselves out and find ways to deal with normal life as this period will end.

I saved a few quid myself but don't see it as any positive TBH... A pandemic is a new kind of awful for mankind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Stupidest thread of the year award.....

Traffic has been nuts, the green heads thought it best to mess with all the light sequence to only allow up to 3 cars at a time through most lights, less if not in gear with launch control on.....

GarIT wrote: »
    When you assume you make an ass of u and me. We still had some forms of lockdown when we had 6 cases per day and no deaths.

.... As there was a pandemic.

• Advertisement

I feel sorry for folk who reckon 2020 was a great year as they saved a few quid, didn't have to be pressured into going out and feeling awkward to fit in.... Hopefully post pandemic they might sort themselves out and find ways to deal with normal life as this period will end.

I saved a few quid myself but don't see it as any positive TBH... A pandemic is a new kind of awful for mankind.

I'm wondefully happy as I am thanks.

.... As there was a pandemic.

It was doing feck all harm when nobody was sick. You're still misquoting me and taking a large jump to your own conclusions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

salonfire wrote: »
    So who's filling up the hospitals this year? Why are parts of the US having to set up field hospitals? Or storing the dead in containers and mass burials?

Word is they are Mexicans, and The Donald is clearing up some loose ends before he leaves.

I have been thoroughly enjoying the lack of social obligations and all the free time to relax. Not having a 2 hour commute or having to wear a suit.

You need to sort out your life really. Or else you'll be the puppet back on the string. Hoping things continue as they are isn't a solution.

When haven't hospitals been full? Reports from altual healthcare staff is the hospitals are empty this year.

You need to sort out your life really. Or else you'll be the puppet back on the string. Hoping things continue as they are isn't a solution.

Why? If I'm happy not going along with all of the social norms why should I make myself unhappy for the benefit of others?

• Advertisement

Its grand.... Once the IT guy can stay at home w@nking into the webcam & saving a few Euro... The new normal.

It is entirely possible that those who didn’t let it effect them may adapt better when life returns to normal.

Why? If I'm happy not going along with all of the social norms why should I make myself unhappy for the benefit of others?

I guess though it's not all bad that some people suffered, at least people like you suffered too.

I'm suggesting you make yourself happy for the benefit of yourself. You shouldn't need a pandemic to happily do what you want to do. That's wrt your comments about social life. I don't drink myself and it never bothered me although it seemed to puzzle plenty others

75m Americans think that is fake news.

Its grand.... Once the IT guy can stay at home w@nking into the webcam & saving a few Euro... The new normal.

Who's the one with problems and needs to work on themselves if one of us is resorting to insults because the other doesn't want to join in on their suffering?

Just remember while you're having the pity party I'm loving life.

• Advertisement

It is entirely possible that those who didn’t let it effect them may adapt better when life returns to normal.

If the pandemic made you reckon 2020 was great it effected you.

I'm suggesting you make yourself happy for the benefit of yourself. You shouldn't need a pandemic to happily do what you want to do. That's wrt your comments about social life. I don't drink myself and it never bothered me although it seemed to puzzle plenty others

I was happy before and during the pandemic, at least now I don't have others complaining to me.

Who's the one with problems and needs to work on themselves if one of us is resorting to insults because the other doesn't want to join in on their suffering?

Just remember while you're having the pity party I'm loving life.

I'd a great year in many ways but I don't feel the need to come on boards and tell everyone how great it was.

Nor do I hope lockdowns continue whilst claiming I'm loving life.

Brexit won't sort out your earning & housing mismatch either bud.

I've not suffered during the pandemic.

I'd a great year in many ways but I don't feel the need to come on boards and tell everyone how great it was.

Nor do I hope lockdowns continue whilst claiming I'm loving life.

Brexit won't sort out your earning & housing mismatch either bud.

That's ok, you do you and I'll do me.

Would be nice if you didn't want on about how terrible it is that I'm not miserable though.

I didn’t say I thought it was a great year, I think that people should be able to decide, and articulate, what there experience of 2020 has been. For many it has been sad, but for others it has been good. It takes a particular type of arrogance for one person to tell another what they have a right to feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Graces7 wrote: »
    I am going by many of the replies as well as my own reaction.

Read them all? Thank you.

Over and out on this; I am among those who are morning lost loved ones. Hard to read how wonderful the year is. It is a disaster and a nightmare. And more to come.

I would have to agree. Horrible year, have lost loved ones, similarly close friends in the same boat. Not being able to be there for the people you care about and them for you is incredibly difficult.

The importance of family and friends has never been so apparent to me and having to spend most of the year with just Skype connections in very difficult times has not been easy.

People in general have been golden this year though, and taken good care of each other, that is the high point for me.

I didn’t say I thought it was a great year, I think that people should be able to decide, and articulate, what there experience of 2020 has been. For many it has been sad, but for others it has been good. It takes a particular type of arrogance for one person to tell another what they have a right to feel.

I didn't comment on your thoughts.
    It's all quoted for you to peruse.

If you weren't effected then there's no adapting to be done.

You contradict your own uttering.

I didn't comment on your thoughts.
    It's all quoted for you to peruse.

If you weren't effected then there's no adapting to be done.

You contradict your own uttering.

Every person has been effected in some way. But for many, such as those who love not having to go into an office, have been able to spend more time at home, have more savings, have been able to take advantage of the knock on effects of the pandemic, it has not been a negative experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

One thing you have to realise about Greens is that they're essentially nihilists when it comes to the rest of us, they don't want humans to thrive, they want most of us gone so they can cycle around in peace

Every person has been effected in some way. But for many, such as those who love not having to go into an office, have been able to spend more time at home, have more savings, have been able to take advantage of the knock on effects of the pandemic, it has not been a negative experience.

Yes, as said I haven't been impacted. That said I'm not going to sh1t on about how great it is nor have the ignorance to say I'm hoping lockdowns continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Bambi wrote: »
    One thing you have to realise about Greens is that they're essentially nihilists when it comes to the rest of us, they don't want humans to thrive, they want most of us gone so they can cycle around in peace

That's retarded logic and fitting of the clowns that comment on stuff on Facebook

Yes, as said I haven't been impacted. That said I'm not going to sh1t on about how great it is nor have the ignorance to say I'm hoping lockdowns continue.

No, you are going to sh1t on about people are wrong to feel different from the way you do or have a different opinion on 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

It's all about perspective people that were effected by the lockdowns and everything in a similar way are going to perceive the effects of those events different than someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Time was women reared 6+ children with no help, nowadays both parents together and they need a 'support system' to look after one baby.

Yes, and the women also never ventured more than a quarter mile from their house, and that extended trip was probably about fetching the old man from the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Every alternative Covid thread with an ounce of positivity gets filled with holier-than-thou types trying to monopolise the doom and gloom.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Every alternative Covid thread with an ounce of positivity gets filled with holier-than-thou types trying to monopolise the doom and gloom.

Everyone should be miserable together is the new party line

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Everyone should be miserable together is the new party line

And if you're not miserable now then somehow you must have been miserable before :D

No, you are going to sh1t on about people are wrong to feel different from the way you do or have a different opinion on 2020.

Wishing lockdowns continue is fairly despicable IMO.
    I'll call out those fncktards all day long and you'll no doubt b8tch on about that like the sad fnck you are.

You're following me around like dog sh1t on my brogues.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'll call out those fncktards all day long and you'll no doubt b8tch on about that like the sad fnck you are.

Mod:

Don't post in this thread again seeing as you can't seem to stay civil

• Advertisement

2020 has been dreadful because so many lives have been lost and impacted terribly.

Personally a lot of good things have happened for me this year. I got engaged to the greatest man alive, I made a work decision and that whole part of my life took off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Some people have been unaffected by this virus and are enjoying the new way of life we have. There is nothing despicable about it at all. There is nothing wrong with these people. I would suggest that those who cannot comprehend that others have different opinions to them need to wise up a little.

KaneToad wrote: »
    Some people have been unaffected by this virus and are enjoying the new way of life we have. There is nothing despicable about it at all. There is nothing wrong with these people. I would suggest that those who cannot comprehend that others have different opinions to them need to wise up a little.

I don't miss the rat race that was the "office life" before. Commuting five days a week, sitting in traffic for three hours a day, trying to find parking etc. I'm especially grateful that not only do I no longer have to do those journeys, but that the day will not be bookended by crèche drop-off and collection with a child screaming in the back because she's exhausted from ten hours of crèche.

I really hope this stays the same, but in the sense that I hope employers realise the importance of a work/life balance and that we don't all need to run into the city five days a week in order to be productive. I don't hope that people continue to get sick and die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Antares35 wrote: »
    I don't miss the rat race that was the "office life" before. Commuting five days a week, sitting in traffic for three hours a day, trying to find parking etc. I'm especially grateful that not only do I no longer have to do those journeys, but that the day will not be bookended by crèche drop-off and collection with a child screaming in the back because she's exhausted from ten hours of crèche.

I really hope this stays the same, but in the sense that I hope employers realise the importance of a work/life balance and that we don't all need to run into the city five days a week in order to be productive. I don't hope that people continue to get sick and die.

You need to be careful. At least with the office, when you leave you are done..my work mobile was switched off at the door on leaving and I wasn’t contactable until the minute I walked back into the office.

Work life balance isn’t achievable if they constantly have an IN into your home life and personal time. If your home is your workspace they’ll have less filter and less inclination as to know when NOT to contact you...

You’ll be ‘on call’..

Putting the kids in the car... they are calling.. “ sorry, just quickly log on and... “

Plating up dinner... calling...“ did you see xx Email before you logged off ? “

Your loved ones will be not too happy, you’ll be stressed, you’ll be compensated very little. of these disorganizations most will be making hundreds of thousands in not having to have big offices, cleaning companies, insurance, light, heat, maintenance, PA / secretary and all additional sundry costs...

You ‘might’ get a small wfh bonus of 100 a month while the managers laugh their asses off, tell them instead to fûck off.

You don’t have a suitable work environment at home, nor is it appropriate to have one.

Strumms wrote: »
    You need to be careful. At least with the office, when you leave you are done..my work mobile was switched off at the door on leaving and I wasn’t contactable until the minute I walked back into the office.

Work life balance isn’t achievable if they constantly have an IN into your home life and personal time. If your home is your workspace they’ll have less filter and less inclination as to know when NOT to contact you...

You’ll be ‘on call’..

Putting the kids in the car... they are calling.. “ sorry, just quickly log on and... “

Your loved ones will be not too happy, you’ll be stressed, you’ll be compensated very little. of these disorganizations most will be making hundreds of thousands in not having to have big offices, cleaning companies, insurance, light, heat, maintenance, PA / secretary and all additional sundry costs...

You ‘might’ get a small wfh bonus of 100 a month while the managers laugh their asses off, tell them instead to fûck off.

You don’t have a suitable work environment at home, nor is it appropriate to have one.

I had a small bit of that are the start but just got strict on ignoring any contact.

I already had my home office setup for gaming so that was grand.

You’ll be ‘on call’..

Yeah it's an easy trap to fall into I imagine. My company haven't breached any boundaries yet to be fair. And, I don't mind getting the odd phone call etc. My boss more or less told me he doesn't mind what hours I do, once the work gets done. So, in exchange for such trust and flexibility, I'm happy to meet them halfway and take a call or email outside of "the nine to five". To me it works both ways, but I'm lucky to have a decent employer I guess. I've also brought home my lovely ergonomic chair so that's handy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Getting almost as much money on the PUP as I was when I was working in a stressful job has certainly made me reevaluate things.

No Christmas party this year either. Last years one was an awful pain in the hole to organise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

You’ll be ‘on call’..

When I finish work the phone gets turned off. No calls/emails until I return the following morning at 9am.

Do most people use their personal numbers for work?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cilar wrote: »
    Probably controversial as everybody seems to be cheering the "return to normal", but:

- Lower traffic & traffic pollution
    - Shops much quieter / less people / more peaceful
    - No airplane noise pollution
    - Less traffic noise pollution
    - Working from home, no commuting, no seeing people you don't really like anyways, less stressful
    - People walking locally instead of taking car
    - Better cycling infrastructure being built
    - Loads of savings from not spending
    Emissions dropped by just 7% so just barely meeting the target of 50% reduction by 2030.

The positives are that Billionaires got way richer and didn't get exposed to windfall taxes that they would have at other times in history. But that is not a positive for rest of us who have seen hard earned money transferred to them and can expect to pay higher taxes or face later retirement paying for the bail outs of the rich and businesses that were poorly managed.

One real positive is proving that working from home can work. But we already knew that, so the only positive is that the accountants finally understand it too.

The main positive has been the rapid development of vaccine technology.
    But very little was spent on them compared to the other costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It has in its bollocks been "great".

Fcuk off for yourself.

It has in its bollocks been "great".

Fcuk off for yourself.

Hiccup.

• Advertisement
Advertisement