Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone Broadband

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I’m with Vodafone broadband, on the basic package I think which is 90meg or gig or whatever but yeah it’s top class, probably 2 or 3 small issues in 3 or 4 years now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Sup08 wrote: »
    With VF on Siro for 2 years now and find them excellent. Always used my own router for my setup and never had any issue until about 2 weeks ago.
    Called them for assistance and they were brilliant. Girl on the phone trying her best to resolve the issue for about an hour. Called back within another hour with an update and engineer out to the house with 3 days.
    Replaced their modem and reset the line.
    I purchased a newer router and back to normal service as before.

This is my second time returning to them as I find them the best our there. Could be a location thing for my service.

I didn't realise a different router could be used on VF?
    I am on the 100mb broadband only package. Could I use something other than their one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

We have been with them for a while and no issues. Just got a free upgrade speeds now 500mbs from 150mbs. No issues with the gigabox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Sup08

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Is the Gigabox router really that bad? Our wifi drops intermittently each day. Would a new router help? Would VF have alternative routers themselves?

I can't really say how good or bad the Gigabox really is as I don't have it connected that long and only when I need to. I only connected it at the install and when I had the issue at few weeks ago as Vodafone don't support any other router then their own.
    vectra wrote: »
    I didn't realise a different router could be used on VF?
    I am on the 100mb broadband only package. Could I use something other than their one?

Depending on what connection type you have, But in short you can use your own router/modem.

When I had DSL/Fibre from the cabinet I used a Netgear ADSL+ Modem Router as their Huawei supplied one gave me a lot of drop outs. I also had a lot of Home Plugs connected for better speeds.

Since I have Fibre to the Home, I previously used an AC2600 D-Link router and had an issue a few weeks ago. I have a lot of devices connected, up to 48 and I don't think it was able to handle the work load when there was demand, gaming, video streaming and music playing all at one. No issue with speeds just the chipset. So i've since upgraded to an Archer AX6000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

I moved back to VF in November as had no issues with them before and Eir are a nightmare to deal with, anyway VF connected me on the day we scheduled with no issues but I do find the Gigabox modem to be very poor as it keeps dropping the wifi and when I make the first connection I can get page cannot be displayed for a few seconds like if something is configured wrong. A reset seems to temporarily fix this but it is annoying. Also I tried to use the parental controls and they work in reverse it seems as when I block for a time set it allows for the time. But I do find VF to be excellent to deal with as they always come back a day or 2 later to make sure the issue is resolved.

Can anyone recommend a good replacement for the Gigabox, I have home phone via this and on FTTC?

m8 wrote: »
    I moved back to VF in November as had no issues with them before and Eir are a nightmare to deal with, anyway VF connected me on the day we scheduled with no issues but I do find the Gigabox modem to be very poor as it keeps dropping the wifi and when I make the first connection I can get page cannot be displayed for a few seconds like if something is configured wrong. A reset seems to temporarily fix this but it is annoying. Also I tried to use the parental controls and they work in reverse it seems as when I block for a time set it allows for the time. But I do find VF to be excellent to deal with as they always come back a day or 2 later to make sure the issue is resolved.

Can anyone recommend a good replacement for the Gigabox, I have FTTC?

There are plenty out there that you can use but depends on your needs.
    To ensure you get something that will last a bit into the future, get oen that support the new WiFi standard (6). These will more than likely have a model number that begins with AX.

Here is link to the Archer range on Amazon, but make sure you do a little checking to make sure that they can connect to the fibre connection using PPPoE. (I think all of these in the list do)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07L5YRYF4/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1

I think this thread has gone a bit off topic and if anyone needs support should probably head over to the broadband threads.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=259

There are plenty out there that you can use but depends on your needs.
    To ensure you get something that will last a bit into the future, get oen that support the new WiFi standard (6). These will more than likely have a model number that begins with AX.

Here is link to the Archer range on Amazon, but make sure you do a little checking to make sure that they can connect to the fibre connection using PPPoE. (I think all of these in the list do)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07L5YRYF4/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1

Thank you they look great, do you know if I can set up my home phone on any of these as my current setup has my phone connected to the router?

m8 wrote: »
    Thank you they look great, do you know if I can set up my home phone on any of these as my current setup has my phone connected to the router?

Have a look at this, seems to be an issue with 3rd party routers.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112353339

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Help! I can't find the bargain.

Have a look at this, seems to be an issue with 3rd party routers.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112353339

Thanks for the info, it looks like I would need 2 devices which could be a show stopper for me...dam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I have the gigabox at home and have never had any issues with it at all. It has been far better performing than the Eir F2000 we had previously but we were plagued with issues with eir at that time so maybe that has something to do with it.

I don't see why you couldn't use a different modem/ router to the gigabox unless you required VOIP. Seems like alot of trouble to break away from gigabox if you use VOIP but others have reported on different threads here that they've replaced the gigabox with other modems both on fttc and ftth instead- minus the voice service.

At €30 a month for broadband only I don't think it's a bad price to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'll be switching back this month. I swap between Eir and Vodafone every 12 months to get the introductory offer.

€30 for 500mb is very good. Paying €30 for 150 on Eir at the moment.

On the router front I turned off WiFi and plugged in a mesh WiFi (I got eero 3 pack) and it is rock solid. 150mb line in and I get 130-145mb all over the house on WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ballybro

We have been with them for a while and no issues. Just got a free upgrade speeds now 500mbs from 150mbs. No issues with the gigabox

Hi how did u get the free upgrade ,is it just a broadband package u have or is it broadband and home phone .Thanks .
    Im also on the 150mb currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

What are the upload speeds like on these I can't find any info?

Also anyone know what cable I would need to run for the connection? Is it just cat6?

Ta

I'll be switching back this month. I swap between Eir and Vodafone every 12 months to get the introductory offer.

€30 for 500mb is very good. Paying €30 for 150 on Eir at the moment.

On the router front I turned off WiFi and plugged in a mesh WiFi (I got eero 3 pack) and it is rock solid. 150mb line in and I get 130-145mb all over the house on WiFi.

• Advertisement

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    I have the gigabox at home and have never had any issues with it at all. It has been far better performing than the Eir F2000 we had previously but we were plagued with issues with eir at that time so maybe that has something to do with it.

I don't see why you couldn't use a different modem/ router to the gigabox unless you required VOIP. Seems like alot of trouble to break away from gigabox if you use VOIP but others have reported on different threads here that they've replaced the gigabox with other modems both on fttc and ftth instead- minus the voice service.

At €30 a month for broadband only I don't think it's a bad price to be fair.

Yes I agree but unfortunately we do have the house phone via the Router so looking for a half-decent router that will give phone also if possible.

muffler wrote: »
    Help! I can't find the bargain.

The original post was a bargain and gained discussion. Maybe should be moved to networking.

ballybro wrote: »
    Hi how did u get the free upgrade ,is it just a broadband package u have or is it broadband and home phone .Thanks .
    Im also on the 150mb currently.

We were just about to finish our year contract, rang them and asked if there was any upgrades.
    So for the same price they brought us up to 500mbs.
    We only have fibre broadband package

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

Do I need a landline for Vodafone broadband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

stanley1 wrote: »

Either landline or Siro connection needed for Vodafone broadband. You don't need to take a phone plan though when paying...

• Advertisement

stanley1 wrote: »

We didn't need a phone line.
    The engineer just ran a new fibre line into the house from the exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

What are the upload speeds like on these I can't find any info?

Also anyone know what cable I would need to run for the connection? Is it just cat6?

Ta

Cat 6, as I tried a higher cable and just wouldn't work speeds for me(gigabit gigabox I up to 600 but down to 30 - 40,reboot works

Mbps download

Mbps upload

Latency: 8 ms
    Server: Dublin
    Your Internet connection is very fast.

Your Internet connection should be able to handle multiple devices streaming HD videos, video conferencing and gaming at the same time.

LEARN MORE
    Phone speed test 00.24 dun night - Mon morning

Advertisement