Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Immersion

• 19-12-2020 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Trying to help a neighbour with this.

I’m pretty sure I know the cause.

The cylinder in the hot press and the pump on the attic need to be replaced but my neighbours father keeps getting in the way - promises to do it then doesn’t and gives her a hard time about getting a plumber. Central heating is just about holding on but she is getting someone next week. The father had been around with more promises and in the hot press for a while.

Now is hot water coming from the tap on the bathroom sink but only warm for the shower after the immersion has been on a couple of hours.

The shower water was hot the other day.

I’m pretty he has disconnected a wire in the element. I had a landlord do that to me years ago. My neighbour needs the shower going tonight and I can fix that but don’t know what switch in the fusebox to turn off. Turning off everything is as her son is autistic and will freak out if the lights are off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

lost one wrote:
    I’m pretty he has disconnected a wire in the element. I had a landlord do that to me years ago. My neighbour needs the shower going tonight and I can fix that but don’t know what switch in the fusebox to turn off. Turning off everything is as her son is autistic and will freak out if the lights are off.

All due respect but if you don't know what fuse is for the immersion then you probably shouldn't be going near the wiring.

Anyway your post is a little bit muddled or maybe I'm muddled. If there is hot water at the tap then it's unlikely that anything is up with the wiring. If hot water is going to the tap then she has hot water. It's possible that the thermostatic cartridge in the shower needs replacing or the filter on the hot is blocked. Either one of these can cause Luke warm water in the shower but hot water in the rest of the home

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lost one

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    All due respect but if you don't know what fuse is for the immersion then you probably shouldn't be going near the wiring.

I did say that myself but then I felt bad.

I’m going to see if I can get a plumber for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Plumbing and heating is beyond me but I have a memory’s from childhood of my sisters getting upset that there was enough hot water and that my father used to limit by turning a valve. It was a constant battle of him turning this valve and they’d turn it up.

Does that make sense? My memory could be faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lost one

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Anyway your post is a little bit muddled or maybe I'm muddled. If there is hot water at the tap then it's unlikely that anything is up with the wiring. If hot water is going to the tap then she has hot water. It's possible that the thermostatic cartridge in the shower needs replacing or the filter on the hot is blocked. Either one of these can cause Luke warm water in the shower but hot water in the rest of the home

Well I was correct.

A plumber friend of someone I know was willing call to the house last night. I told him the father had been the hot press and he say no more and opened the cap on the element and one of the wires had indeed been disconnected.

And the plumber said he has seen this before - old guys being weird about the immersion but coming into someone house and doing was new.

Advertisement