Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying parts from the UK before January

• 19-12-2020 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

I normally order machinery parts from a place in the UK. Thinking of ordering a haul again now on Monday. My problem is that the man is very slow to issue can invoice. He sends out the parts to me in next day delivery no problem and I pay about a month later once he sends the invoice.

Do I need to have this bill payed before January 1st or just have the invoice dated for 2020?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Cast your mind back to last year when many people bought UK cars and then there was a back log so to get the cars registered they had to pay the nox tax, live and learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

i think it could be the date that the goods enter the country IMO it is very tight now, I have got a bit of stuff lately from the uk and most is through. I would be slow to order anything now without been ready to get caught for duty on it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

If you had an idea of the value of the parts and paid 80 % on receipt, it would lower the amount owed at year end and thereby any excess that might fall due. Could that work?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

djmc wrote: »
    i think it could be the date that the goods enter the country IMO it is very tight now, I have got a bit of stuff lately from the uk and most is through. I would be slow to order anything now without been ready to get caught for duty on it.

Same as that. I had something ordered from Wales since November. Emailed about it during the week and their supplier had let them down :rolleyes: I cancelled the order as God knows what delays or duty it could meet between now and Jan, wasn't worth the risk. Will see what the new year sales bring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

just something to keep in mind for some parts amazon.de and even more so ebay.de have a lot of parts and no problem shipping to Ireland just change language to english and germany has a lot bigger population than the uk. i think we just need to change our mindset to we are now closer aligned to Europe than the UK

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

mengele wrote: »
    I normally order machinery parts from a place in the UK. Thinking of ordering a haul again now on Monday. My problem is that the man is very slow to issue can invoice. He sends out the parts to me in next day delivery no problem and I pay about a month later once he sends the invoice.

Do I need to have this bill payed before January 1st or just have the invoice dated for 2020?

I don't think it's worth it unless it's something you are definitely going to need. There's still a few Lanz bulldog parts around here from when my Grandfather stocked :o up before WWII. Parcel Motel have a cut off date of 28th December. I think you've left it too late TBH.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It the date it comes into Ireland. If it enters the country on or before the 31/12 then it the same as for the last 30years. If it enters on or after 1/1 it will need a customs declaration. If there is no free trade deal there may be tariffs on it. If there is a free trade deal then no tariffs just the hassle of customs declaration and clearance

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

mengele wrote: »

If the parts are physically in the UK I'd go ahead and order them now. The delays are at the other end of the country due to UK businesses stockpiling.

As what base reeves said but will add that it is the "date of export" so that gives an extra day for goods to be shipped as C status community goods. Once exported on or before the 31st of December and say they don't arrive in till the 2nd of January they are still classed as community goods. But they may be stuck on a trailer with goods with a date of export after the 31st of December it waits for the transit to be released. ( which is a 25 minute automated process once the carrier has their customs clearance system in place )

The pre brexit UK origin goods will be then able to be taken off as normal and delivered while the post brexit UK origin goods will be either cleared off a low value or high value manifest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

I bought a john Deere gator in october in the uk n only got it delivered last week. The hauliers are mental at the minute as companies stock up as much as they can. I was starting sweating thinking I may get the ferry!
    I might have my figures wrong but I think stuff will be 30% dearer bringing it in in January. There'll be no value to be had if that's the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Is there a back door through Northern Ireland to avoid this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

timple23 wrote: »
    Is there a back door through Northern Ireland to avoid this?

It's the paperwork and customs is going to be the cost. Am I right in thinkingbthatbpaperwork has to be done going from GB to NI..

Advertisement