Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK COVID variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

You are the type of person I'd like to rule over. Nice and obedient ;)

"Two weeks to flatten the curve" :pac:

Anyway, stay safe, wear your mask, wash your hands, stay in your house etc etc... Check back in with us in 2022 and let us know you're ok.
    Whatever you say, serf :pac:

Good luck to you as well.

Mod

DrFrost Don't post in this thread again. You cannot treat other civilly here obviously.

Everyone else - don't drop to this level either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Luke O'Neill just said there it doesn't make you an sicker it just spreads faster like the initial strain.
    It's in other countries so pretty likely we have it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Why are they in such a panic? Could it be that it's a lot more serious than the public have been told?

At least we can depend on the WHO. :rolleyes:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/trump-world-health-organization-who-blame-coronavirus-pandemic-2020-4%3famp

You do know you just quoted an opinion piece?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

GarIT wrote: »

I wonder what will actually happen at the end of the initial 48 hours.
    Tough time for workers stuck on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Call me Al wrote: »
    I'm not going to waste my time arguing nonsense with anyone.
    Maybe take a look at the sage press conference from yesterday.

So you can't back it up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Blondini wrote: »
    I wonder what will actually happen at the end of the initial 48 hours.
    Tough time for workers stuck on the road.

It will most likely be extended for another 48 hours .

embraer170 wrote: »
    This is a disaster for Irish supply chains.

At least we have been prepared for this potential eventuality come Jan 1 - still a shock, but would have been a lot worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

They can say/conjure whatever they want re: "strains" and "case numbers". Just put it out there through the mainstream media and it becomes 'fact' to the majority. Scare the sheep and they'll follow along. This is (and always has been) about mass vaccination programmes.

They need to get that 70%+ compliance. I estimate roughly 40% or so here will take it voluntarily. Continued lockdowns are an effective tactic to break the rest.

I've said before how naive it was of people to think a corner was about to be turned. This thing is just getting started. There'll be huge trouble in this country and elsewhere next year; mark my words.

Besides the "new normal" level 3-5 restrictions; expect increased media scaremongering through 2021, ballooning "case numbers" (but still low death rates), and an enormous marketing push towards vaccination. If that doesn't work, well, you'll be coerced instead.

All to keep you 'safe' ;)

Post needs more "sheeple" references.
    5/10

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Luke O'Neill just said there it doesn't make you an sicker it just spreads faster like the initial strain.
    It's in other countries so pretty likely we have it here.

If it spreads faster, more people end up in hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Yep. It's not so much the concern that it won't work with the vaccine (the consensus is that it should), it's that it's going to potentially break hospital systems already under pressure. It doesn't need to be any more complex reasoning than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

They can say/conjure whatever they want re: "strains" and "case numbers". Just put it out there through the mainstream media and it becomes 'fact' to the majority. Scare the sheep and they'll follow along. This is (and always has been) about mass vaccination programmes.

They need to get that 70%+ compliance. I estimate roughly 40% or so here will take it voluntarily. Continued lockdowns are an effective tactic to break the rest.

I've said before how naive it was of people to think a corner was about to be turned. This thing is just getting started. There'll be huge trouble in this country and elsewhere next year; mark my words.

Besides the "new normal" level 3-5 restrictions; expect increased media scaremongering through 2021, ballooning "case numbers" (but still low death rates), and an enormous marketing push towards vaccination. If that doesn't work, well, you'll be coerced instead.

Sounds like Hank Scorpio up to his usual tricks

The 70% target is for "immune" people, which will be a combination of vaccinated and natural immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

I remember reading somewhere that USUALLY the more transmittable a virus is, the less deadly it is. It's not proven at the moment that this new varient is more dangerous than the previous one. Hopefully it's this case for this one.

Maybe but on the flip side we reach heard immunity quicker, we have the capacity as the flu isn't taking up even one bed at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Maybe but on the flip side we reach heard immunity quicker, we have the capacity as the flu isn't taking up even one bed at the moment.

We haven’t taken the risk with herd before we aren’t going to now

We’re doing the correct thing with This strain. Really what we should have done in March with Cheltenham

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

It will most likely be extended for another 48 hours .

48 hours?
    Most reports seem to indicate it'll go until January

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Yuser.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Cheltenham

Back where it all started when the virus jumped from horses into humans

bennyl10 wrote: »
    We haven’t taken the risk with herd before we aren’t going to now

We kinda have just very slowly, it's all about not crippling the hospitals. We've probably had what maybe 1 million people get it so far out of a population of 5 million, add that to the probably 80% of the population that have had the BCG vaccine, I don't think we're in a terrible position to weather this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

We kinda have just very slowly, it's all about not crippling the hospitals. We've probably had what maybe 1 million people get it so far out of a population of 5 million, add that to the probably 80% of the population that have had the BCG vaccine, I don't think we're in a terrible position to weather this.

Jesus, you really think 1 million of us have had Covid? That might make sense if all of us lived within a few miles radius but we're sparsely populated. There's no way we've had 1 million infected.

Edit: Can you actually show me where or how you've come to that figure? Did you read it anywhere or did you just make it up?

Beverly Hills, California

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    You are the type of person I'd like to rule over. Nice and obedient ;)

"Two weeks to flatten the curve" :pac:

Anyway, stay safe, wear your mask, wash your hands, stay in your house etc etc... Check back in with us in 2022 and let us know you're ok.
    Whatever you say, serf :pac:

Good luck to you as well.

Mod

DrFrost Don't post in this thread again. You cannot treat other civilly here obviously.

Everyone else - don't drop to this level either.

Mod Edit

Submitted above post too fast.

And there she blows...

Another thread infected by the odd-balls. Pity theres not a vaccination againt this type of infection.

All the post was missing were the usual phrases of the dimwitted, namely "nonsense" , "curtain twitchers" , " hide under your bed" .... blah de fcucking blah.

Scarlet for ya.
    Oh dear.

The thing I love about about Facebook etc, is that you can actually see what a fool with views like this, looks like. Look at the ridiculousness in their face. Here, it's just a username.

Anyway, good luck (and boy do you need it).

Blondini - also threadbanned

Jesus, you really think 1 million of us have had Covid? That might make sense if all of us lived within a few miles radius but we're sparsely populated. There's no way we've had 1 million infected.

Edit: Can you actually show me where or how you've come to that figure? Did you read it anywhere or did you just make it up?

We've had 80,00 confirmed cases the majority of those are people with symptoms i'm assuming that would lead me to think a huge majority of people didn't even know they had it, the estimate is 80% of people have no symptoms or very mild. So 80,000 is the 20% with symptoms, ok so not 1 million but possibly 500,000+

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

We’ve definitely had a lot more cases than have been reported but I wouldn’t think it’s up to a million yet. We’re too spread out. Maybe a few hundred thousand? Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

We've had 80,00 confirmed cases the majority of those are people with symptoms i'm assuming that would lead me to think a huge majority of people didn't even know they had it, the estimate is 80% of people have no symptoms or very mild. So 80,000 is the 20% with symptoms, ok so not 1 million but possibly 500,000+

I don't think it's outlandish to think that up to 1 million people have been infected in Ireland. With 80,000 confirmed cases, the actual infection numbers are thought to be about 10 times the confirmed case numbers, so between 800,000 and 1 million I'd say.

Pdoghue wrote: »
    I don't think it's outlandish to think that up to 1 million people have been infected in Ireland. With 80,000 confirmed cases, the actual infection numbers are thought to be about 10 times the confirmed case numbers, so between 800,000 and 1 million I'd say.

Now throw into the equation 46% of the people that didn't know they had it can pass it on to someone else. It doesn't take long to hit big numbers getting close to heard immunity.
    (46% is the estimate of asymptomatic that can spread it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Between not having symptoms, not getting tested with mild symptoms and asking positive friends not to name you as a contact, there has to be an awful lot of positives going under the radar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

How do you think most of those 80,000 had symptoms? Weren't we testing close contacts without symptoms since the summer?

MadYaker wrote: »
    We’ve definitely had a lot more cases than have been reported but I wouldn’t think it’s up to a million yet. We’re too spread out. Maybe a few hundred thousand? Who knows.

We're not really all that spread out and I'm not sure that's really all that significant anyway. I've lived in a couple of mega cities and been more isolated from other people than all my years in Dublin. As you say, who knows? We should have introduced antibody testing a long time ago.

How do you think most of those 80,000 had symptoms? Weren't we testing close contacts without symptoms since the summer?

It's anecdotal I know, but I'm hearing of an awful lot of close contacts not being named as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

VUI-2022012/01

^This^ is the new strain, much more virulent and with a much greater 'viral load' according to professor Hayward from epidemiology and health at University College London (Sky News).

Let's just hope we don't get it here :(

Advertisement